PDA

View Full Version : Athenya, City of Hope and New Beginnings

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 02:39 AM
MAP IS FINISHED: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10920-Athenya-City-of-Hope-and-New-Beginnings-Finally-Finished-D

So yeah, this is Athenya, the capital city for the roleplay I participate in. There are basically 3 parts to the city, an outer ring, inner ring and the central ring. The central ring is where, as expected, the royal palace, senate, various temples, and the mansions built for the rich and powerful are found. The inner ring is home to schools, theaters, banks, artisans (painters, sculptors, etc), libraries and high class merchants, as well as where most of the middle class lives. The outer ring is the newest part of the city, and while the other rings have buildings of stone, the outer ring is mostly wooden in construction. The outer ring also only has a few large paved roads, with the rest being dirt.

So yeah, I guess Ill just update this thread as I go along to show my progress :]

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 05:21 AM
update #1 on map progress

added in first set of buildings
just noticed i dont have any gates or bridges...

Ascension
06-24-2010, 08:46 AM
The only thing I can think of right now is that you need some color variation for those houses. No ancient city was ever built with every house...houses were built as the city grew. As such, even poor people went through trends and had access to different materials, not to mention fires. I'd add a pattern overlay of something colorful and set that to multiply or one of the burn modes then turn down the opacity. You could get away with just a clouds overlay but that leaves you with just brown and dark brown...color gives you some reds and oranges etc.

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Well that only thing I worry about is the scale.
The city is...big...to say the least.
One of those little brown specs in the fields is a single house (albeit a small one)
But Ill try, maybe ill try and make entire blocks of houses and buildings with different colors.

Any tips on water?
Land Ive been fooling around with on a testing map I made, and I think I am figuring it out, but water is giving me some issues.

Here is a second update.
I added buildings for the inner and center ring. These ones are done on more of a grid than the more organic hodge-podge outer ring.
Added some bridges (or markers for future bridges)
Would it be too ambitious to try and add crowds of people roaming? :P
Not finished by far
But its coming along nicely for my first attempt if I do say so

simpfan1
06-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Update 3:
Redid pretty much everything except the walls
Change the houses a bit to reflect scale
Colored in some of the housing areas for a varied look
Switched to a texture for farmland
Added roads and communities outside the walls
Changed grassland & water textures

Javen
06-25-2010, 12:05 AM
The variety definitely is there now, but the noise just doesn't work for me. It makes it difficult to distinguish roads and those farm buildings. Maybe you should clip it away around the roads? Also, that brilliant blue aqueduct seems like it's too bright to produce such pale blue water. One would think that the same water in the aqueduct would be in the pool? Otherwise, the rendering of the scale is really great, and I love the farmland.

simpfan1
06-25-2010, 12:37 AM
well the actual map is 2000x2000 pixels, so in its regular size its easier to tell, but its still a work in progress :]

Yeah, Ive been having trouble with the water, cant seem to get color or ripples very good

tilt
06-25-2010, 03:51 AM
I'd like to see it in full scale, but comments for now are that with the new noise/color pattern, you have changed the visual scale of the city drastictly - it like the "camera" just zoomed hundreds of meters/yards into the air - the depth of the buildings disapeared and even though the outer circles still look like a huge city, the inner circles just turned in to huge steel discs...

simpfan1
06-25-2010, 06:07 AM
A corner and new update

A little upset at myself. There was a power outage and I lost some settings I really enjoyed.
Note to self: Save after everything

tilt
06-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Much better now... I can see in the detailed map that there still is some depth to it... it's still a HUGE city though - but if that fits your campaign then its ok... but have you measured it up against modern cities? :)
AND... have some rep for all that work and your first upload at that - good job :)

mearrin69
06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Nice. Your outer buildings and fields look amazing. The inner buildings look a little out of scale with the rest however; and harsher because of the stark coloration. Only other comment is that the color noise you've added to the outer buildings could maybe be a bit finer...so there's not an even gradation over large sections of buildings. You might do it by adding another noise layer and erasing out parts of the two so that you get some variation. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Yeah, it's huge. What's your population estimate?
M

edit: BTW, I love the "crop circle" thing you've got going on with the roads. Looks cool. Reminds me of the Inspired cities in Sarlona (home of the psionic dreamlands dudes in Eberron)

simpfan1
06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
@tilt: I originally had a scale of 13 miles in mind, but Im not sure if it fits that scale anymore, and lord knows Im not redoing it to make it fit that :p

@mearrin: yeah, the inner blueish buildings have been giving me a lot of trouble. I just noticed that some of their angles are really choppy, so Ill probably redo them...again.

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 02:44 AM
I think Im done.
I know there are flaws, but I think its a good enough representation to fit my needs.
After I have some experience and get a hang of the tricks, Ill probably come back and try to get the kinks worked out.
Now I just need to figure out how I want to go about labeling things...
right over the map? a key? hmm, didnt think this far ahead xD

any ideas?

LonewandererD
06-26-2010, 02:56 AM
Holy crap, now thats a city, a mighty fine city! I'd give you rep now but I'll save it until the very end where you really deserve it :) . I smell a cartographer's choice...

-D-

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 03:21 AM
A cartographers choice on my first city map would be like...amazing lol

tilt
06-26-2010, 03:22 AM
that really depends on how many labels you need, every label takes up space and covers some map, so the more the "coverier" ;) ... so if you need a lot, go for a key on the side. If you don't need a lot put them right in there - theres lots of space and since the buildings "look alike" then it doesn't matter some get covered up :)

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah thats what I was thinking, there arent too many places that need labels. Just a few specific buildings, each ring, and neighborhoods. Funny, in the RP I made this for, the largest city has the fewest places to see, but the smaller cities have the most.
is there any tutorials on borders? Like for around a map? If not I can try and make one myself or just leave it alone. Ive stared at this map for so many hours in a row now just fiddling with bevel/embossing, I dont know if I want to work out a border too xD

tilt
06-26-2010, 03:44 AM
well all good maps have borders, scales and a compass rose (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10462) :)
the border sort of finishes off the map ... but it doesn't have to be elaborate a simple line can do it :) ... but try looking around in the finished map section and see different types of borders - personally I'm rather satisfied with the one I made on my Mountain Realms (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10461-Mountain-Realms-a-region-map.) map :) ... also like the "real" border on Immolates WoT map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10585-June-Entry-Wheel-of-Time-from-Falme-to-Fal-Dara/page10).

Sharpe
06-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Nice. Your outer buildings and fields look amazing. The inner buildings look a little out of scale with the rest however; and harsher because of the stark coloration. Only other comment is that the color noise you've added to the outer buildings could maybe be a bit finer...so there's not an even gradation over large sections of buildings. You might do it by adding another noise layer and erasing out parts of the two so that you get some variation. Looking forward to seeing this one progress. Yeah, it's huge. What's your population estimate?
M

edit: BTW, I love the "crop circle" thing you've got going on with the roads. Looks cool. Reminds me of the Inspired cities in Sarlona (home of the psionic dreamlands dudes in Eberron)I couldn't have said all that better myself! :)

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Stealing compass now :D

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Ok, I think Im finished.
Not doing a border.
I dont think borders are my thing (someone should make a tutorial :D)
Anyway, so I just want your opinions on the map and whether or not a compass really works
I can change out the compass easy, I just chose the one I liked the best to show where it would go
Anywhere else and it would cover some stuff

LonewandererD
06-26-2010, 10:23 AM
You should add a border, it doesn't have to be complex, even a simple one adds a little more depth and character to your map. I have an easy wooden border method if you're interested. And if you have a border you can have some more space to put the compass rose and title in the corners.

-D-

DuskWolf
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I think I would give the compass rose a drop shadow. It might fit in better with the rest of the labels.

simpfan1
06-26-2010, 06:38 PM
@lonewanderer: any help is appreciated

@dusk: they should be drop shadowed. maybe I didnt set them the same way.
It was like 3am when I did this :x

LonewandererD
06-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Okay, i my border is simple, I just need to know two things.

1) Are you doing this in photoshop.

2) What are the dimensions of your map?

-D-

simpfan1
06-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Photoshop.
2000x2000 pixels
But Ill probably make the canvas larger to make room for the border since I dont want it covering anything

LonewandererD
06-27-2010, 03:59 AM
Awesome, my method involves making the canvas bigger anyway. Okay the method is below and quite simple.

Step 1) Expand your canvas height and width by 100 pixels, this will give you a border 50 pixels thick.

Step 2) Place a new layer underneath all of your other layers and fill it with black, sometimes there is a small gap between the border and the edge of the map and this new layer will fill it up so you don't get a white line which can be annoying.

Step 3) Create a new layer above all other layers and name it "border".

Step 4) Select the border layer and ctrl-click the black layer we placed before, decrease the selection by 50 and select inverse, fill the selection with a brown colour, i use 90 red - 70 green - 30 blue but it's up to you.

Step 5) Apply the following layer styles

- Inner Shadow: Default setting
- Pattern Overlay: I actually use the wood pattern that came with Ascension's Photoshop Town tutorial, you can find it in the tutorial section. Set the scale to 50 and the mode to overlay. He calls it surface_08b in his attachment "current patterns"
- Stroke: Size 2, colour black and opacity 75%
- Bevel and Emboss: Inner bevel, Chisel Hard, Size 25, Highlight mode (mode multiply, opacity 50%, colour ffe05a), Shadow mode (mode multiply, opacity 50%, colour black) and a contour at range 50.

Done, simple no? Feel free to experiment as you wish. Hope this helps.

-D-

simpfan1
06-27-2010, 06:13 AM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10920-Athenya-City-of-Hope-and-New-Beginnings-Finally-Finished-D
Finiiished