PDA

View Full Version : June/July Entry: Soulhunter

Katto
06-24-2010, 05:10 AM
This is a nice challenge this month, so I've decided to jump in. First time here, so I hope that I will do everything correct. This is also the first time I draw a map like this. I've decided to give PS a chance and borrow a few symbols from DD3 or other resources.

During the "Magician Wars", which marked the end of the First Cycle in Re'Skaal, the "Great Council" was defeated. It consisted of defected wizards who claimed the control of the known realms. After a major success of the liberators a great amount of power devastated the land and also struck a small ship and its crew. The ship got enchanted rising into the air, the captain went mad and the crew was killed.
Centuries later the "Arnofor", the enchanted ship, became a legend. It is rumored that it still flies above the continent, hunting the souls of magical gifted persons. Those who see it and are not skilled enough to escape, behave insane and fade away after three days.

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
06-24-2010, 05:48 AM
nice - looking forward to seing more :)

Katto
06-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Just a small update. I wanted to see how the ship will look like if a texture and effects are used.

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
them be nice decks matey :)

Katto
06-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Oops, it seems that I had to look BEFORE I started such a thing concerning the symbols I have on my HD. I spent a whole evening to look around for a steering wheel I could use. Thanks to the 3D function in PS 11 I found one, but I'm not quite happy with it. I also started to draw things like the latticework myself, other things are from the SMAC that can be found here (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1595&page=1#Item_0).

### LATEST WIP ###

RobA
06-27-2010, 04:44 PM
It isn't quite the same style, but I put a ship's wheel up here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?2259-Ship-Parts so feel free to pilfer. It was created in POVRay, btw.

-Rob A>

Katto
06-28-2010, 01:19 AM
That wheel looks great. I will try it, thanks.

EDIT: Yes, that's what I looked for. Thanks again, RobA!

Jaxilon
06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
I have to laugh because when I started to look at this thread's first post I saw, "Soulhunter" and then what looked like the outlines for the bottoms of 3 shoes..ROFL

It's coming along nicely now though, keep up the good work.

Katto
06-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Oh yes, it was also my first association after finishing the contours and zooming out. The evil tripod and its butt kicking shoes +10(each one) :)

Katto
07-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Here is the last update. The layout is nearly finished, a final story will follow soon.
With my last PS maps many people complained the maps were too dark. OK, I have a bright monitor and tested the map on a second monitor, which is very old. There the map was too dark. I'm between two extrema now and would like to hear your opinion.

Aval Penworth
07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
yeah, it is very dark. dark is appropriate for this map. but it is a little to hard to see deails

Katto
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks Aval, I will raise the brightness in the following pics.

Katto
07-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Nearly finished now. Just the labels and a bit schnickschnack are missing. I've also increased the brightness.

tilt
07-04-2010, 04:26 PM
thats damn nice... looking forward to the labels so I can get the story of the cargo :)

Katto
07-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Thanks tilt. Yes, the cargo is strange: it can scream horribly and spill red liquid...

ravells
07-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Katto, that's lovely! I really like the way you've got the grain of the wood and the ladders are really cleverly done too!

Katto
07-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks tilt and ravells. It was much fun creating the map. It strengthend me in using DD3, which I own for over a year now, but never used it.
It's time for the final map. I have to say that I am not very good in writing stories and writing in english makes it even harder. Here is the story of the Soulhunter. The picture is from Wikimedia Commons.

Katto
07-05-2010, 04:57 PM
And here is the final map. Thanks RobA for the link of your steering wheel!

### LATEST WIP ###

RobA
07-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Thanks RobA for the link of your steering wheel!

No problem! You blended it in quite nicely.

-Rob A>

rdanhenry
07-06-2010, 12:12 AM
The text:
Where you have "GRAP", you probably want "GRAB".
"magical skilled" should be "magically skilled" or more precisely, change to "people skilled in magic".
"Before the complete exhaustion of the victim" should be followed by a comma.
"Quarterstaff" is one word.
Change "loose height" to "lose height", and change "weakend" to "weakened".
In the treasure listing "spread among" should be "spread around". Spelling changes here are "amulettes" to "amulets" and "artefacts" to "artifacts".

The ship is looking very nice, but as long as I'm on a roll, I'll point out that with two beds, room 6 in the Middle Deck should be "Passengers' Cabin" with the apostrophe after the final "s" in "Passengers".

Katto
07-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Thanks a lot rdanhenry. After so many years out of school it is difficult to write something like that. Both pics were updated.

tilt
07-06-2010, 03:38 AM
Cool map - thanks for the backstory... and with those stats mentioned - I'm guessing ... Rolemaster? :)