PDA

View Full Version : Sm/Med Sized hand drawn town

Fuse
06-25-2010, 11:40 AM
So I got the urge to bust out the graph paper last night and draw a world map.. and start on a few towns as well. :D
I managed to finish this one before going to bed. I guess I'm kind of satisfied with it.
I'd like to paint it in photoshop, but I've never gone about trying to 'paint between the lines' on PS.

Anyone got a link to a good tut on this? I already tried my hand at it, and the faded, washed out colors look really good against the hand drawn lines, but getting an area filled without going over the lines was a bit hard.

tilt
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
very nice looking town :)
concerning coloring it in PS you have a couple of choices
1. you can make a new layer (or several I would suggest one pr color) and use a soft brush and manually stroke the colors on - the look wouldn't require the brush to stay within the lines... you could even switch on wet edges for a watercolor look
2. you can use the magic wand (select all layers), and when you've selected the chosen area, go to SELECT > MODIFY > CONTRACT and contract the selection by 1-2 pixels before filling it.
and basicly don't forget to zooom zooom zooooom ... work at 4-600% then its easier to control the strokes...and don't use too big a brush

looking forward to seing more :)

tilt
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
oh... and concerning stuff like grass between houses and such... you can also choose to paint over everything, and then erase the houses out afterwards :)

Fuse
06-25-2010, 01:39 PM
I basically started doing what you suggested earlier, with multiple layers and one color per layer. Guess I was just hoping for a less tedious way than zooming in haha.

mearrin69
06-25-2010, 01:40 PM
First off, nice little map. I like the layout. It'd look great colored in a watercolor style.

Use this image as a layer set on Multiply and then paint on layers that you add underneath. The lines will show on top of whatever you draw and your original artwork will stay intact. You can try other blending modes as well if you want but Multiply is the one I use most. Hopefully you're okay with keeping the grid, though, because I reckon that'd be hard to remove without destroying the drawing.

Hope that helps.
M

Fuse
06-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Having a love/hate relationship with zoom..

Anyhow, here's where I am at the moment. It's been kind of difficult to contrast the colors against each other, since they are all flat and sort of similar in shade, but I do like the colors so far. Never scanned anything and colored it in before.. so it's a learning process for me.

mearrin69
06-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I think it's going to look pretty nice when done. Good stuff.
M

Steel General
06-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Progressing nicely...

Fuse
06-25-2010, 07:18 PM
A little more done.
Need to add just a little bit of texture to it I think.. that and paint the hundreds of little houses :((

DuskWolf
06-25-2010, 07:45 PM
I am really liking your map! Something that might help you out is if you have done all the other colors on different layers and you have pretty much done every thing painted but the houses, you could marquee the surrounding layer by ctrl/command clicking the little icon on the layer in the layers pallet. Then inverse the marquee by ctrl/command + Shift + I. Then you can paint the houses with out having to worry about going out side the lines.

Fuse
06-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Colored in the rooftops and castle walls, embossed the buildings too.. but I'm not sure how it looks. If I do it to the buildings I should do it to the trees and stuff as well..
What do you guys think?

simpfan1
06-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I really like this map so far. My only complaint is the bridge, it seems to be at a different perspective.

LonewandererD
06-26-2010, 02:54 AM
Ditto on the bridge, the rest of the building look like they're being seen from a top down view but the bridge looks like its on an angle. Other than that, nice work!

-D-

tilt
06-26-2010, 03:25 AM
thats getting to look really good - nice job :)

Katto
06-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Looks very good so far Fuse!

Fuse
06-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks guys :D

I see what you mean about the bridge perspective.. can't really do anything about it now, but it's good enough roleplaying at least.
I guess as long as I'm working on it, are there any ideas for how I could improve this map? Maybe I will start practicing for the future.

tilt
06-27-2010, 03:42 AM
I'd shadow in the trees too, that would be nice ... and since you're working digitally you could actually do something about the bridges perspective, just go down to the original scan and work in that, delete the pillars "height" so they are just a circle then mark it with the lasso tool go to EDIT > SKEW and pull the bridge straight, cleanup a bit and your perspective has changed :)

alizarine
07-01-2010, 04:52 AM
Love the look of this map, and thank you, thank you for reminding me that graph paper is lots of help when drawing maps! Personally, I would darken the lines just slightly (not ink them or anything), since your 'paint' colors are darkish. Either that or lighten/de-saturate the colors? Don't really know, and of course it's up to you. I like the hand-drawn effect though, and it's nice to see someone working with that instead of "cleaning it up". The graph paper provides a nice sizing grid too!
- Alizarinerose

Fuse
07-02-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks, I think I could improve it a little further, but for now I'll let it be. At most I'll probably add some notations or something.
Originally I was just doodling for a possible D&D campaign, but I got curious and wanted to see what it would look like colored.
I've got a handful of other maps I've made on graph paper as well, but haven't scanned them in. Honestly after seeing it colored I kind of want to try it out :D
I've got an overworld map, a sewer map, and catacombs. Maybe I will upload them if I get the chance.

Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions.. I'll try and use them to improve my skills.