PDA

View Full Version : SciFi Air Show

Redrobes
06-26-2010, 10:18 AM
Bit off topic but good lollage all the same.

http://www.scifiairshow.com/guided-tour.html

torstan
06-26-2010, 11:48 AM
That's great. I suspect some high quality photoshopping in some of the later ones...

Redrobes
06-26-2010, 11:55 AM
In some of the latter ones....? I thought the only thing real was his jump suit. Gah - now I am going to have to have another lookie !

Edit -- nah I call shenanigans cos the shadows of the people in the distance don't match the close stuff. But wow is it ever good. The guy is a visual effects supervisor at ILM. Thats kinda makes you think a) ohh in that case theres no way its real and then b) He worked on 6 Star Trek films and probably could be in charge of some of the sets so some of it could be (non functional obviously) real.

torstan
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Yep, okay. It's all photoshopped, but I was particularly impressed by the in-flight images.

Redrobes
06-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah its great aint it. I just love it when people do these nut job things. I wish my 3D skillz were this good tho.

Ascension
06-26-2010, 01:17 PM
I was wondering where the X-wings, Y-wings, and TIEs were. I'm with ya Red, if I could do 3d that nice I'd do more than just play around with it.

tilt
06-27-2010, 07:28 AM
really cool... and I'm guessing the x-wings etc are not there cause they wanna show of their own work.. and don't wanna risk a lawsuit ;)

Wolf63
08-30-2010, 07:13 AM
really cool... and I'm guessing the x-wings etc are not there cause they wanna show of their own work.. and don't wanna risk a lawsuit ;)

Their own work? Do you realize these ships were from classic tv shows like Space 1999, Land of the Giants and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Well anyways, I enjoyed the link because I'm a fan of those shows

mearrin69
08-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Heh. I love the crashed Eagle. I was a constant viewer of the original BSG and Space 1999 (whenever it was in the late 70s - I know I was in 4th grade, so 9 yrs old or something) until I got hooked on Star Wars. I had an Eagle and *almost* got a Viper that Christmas from JC Penney but they recalled the bloody things (remember the kid that shot a missile down his throat) so my order got put on hold and then they wanted to send me one with the missile glued in and I declined. I guess I was a sci-fi geek from the start.
M

Edit: @Wolf63: Not everyone's old like us! :)

tilt
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Their own work? Do you realize these ships were from classic tv shows like Space 1999, Land of the Giants and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea

Well anyways, I enjoyed the link because I'm a fan of those shows

no - I had no idea, but then again - taking mearrins age-comment into account those shows are probably to old for me to have seen. Not that I'm not the same age as him (I'm guessing here) but more that growing up in Denmark we only had 3 tv channels when I was small, a few extras when I hit the teens and first a more wide spectrum as I was a young adult. So all those tv shows you americans got to enjoy I never knew existed *sigh* :)

mearrin69
08-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Ah. I hadn't even thought about that - not every country has been innundated by TV the way the US has been.

The 69 is my birth year, BTW, so I'm 40. I was guessing (probably incorrectly) that Wolf63 is 46.

Man, if you haven't seen them you need to go dig up some of those shows (maybe somebody's streaming them?). They're a *little* hard to stomach after all of the neat stuff we've seen in the intervening three or more decades but they're still worth a watch - if only so you get cultural references from old US geeks. Of course my knowledge of Swedish/Danish television is likely more limited than your knowledge of US television...though I'm familiar with a fair bit of UK TV.
M

tilt
08-30-2010, 11:42 AM
yep.. guessed the 69 .. me too (but from march so 41)
and love UK television - especially their humor, that like danish humor ... and if we're staying in sci-fi I've enjoyed (as a child) Dr. Who and later on Red Dwarf - so I guess I can stomach some old stuff ;) ... also vaguely remember Moonbase Alpha :)

RobA
08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
Moonbase Alpha was Space 1999 where the eagles were from. I had a model eagle hanging in my room, too, growing up. Also had a crush on Catharine Schell (Maya) :)

-Rob A>

tilt
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
ah.. well, then I guess I have seen it - or at least some of it :)

rdanhenry
09-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Hot alien shapechanger babe, cool Eagle ships, unique staple-gun-like hand weapons... that was pretty much what made Space:1999 pretty cool. The science... well, let's say that it made Star Trek and Doctor Who look like hard science fiction by comparison.

Wolf63
09-01-2010, 05:36 AM
no - I had no idea, but then again - taking mearrins age-comment into account those shows are probably to old for me to have seen. Not that I'm not the same age as him (I'm guessing here) but more that growing up in Denmark we only had 3 tv channels when I was small, a few extras when I hit the teens and first a more wide spectrum as I was a young adult. So all those tv shows you americans got to enjoy I never knew existed *sigh* :)

You're missing out, dude. I don't know how you can see them but if you have something like Netflix, which is a postal video rental service, you may be able to watch the shows from them.

Wolf63
09-01-2010, 05:41 AM
The 69 is my birth year, BTW, so I'm 40. I was guessing (probably incorrectly) that Wolf63 is 46.

Yeppers, I'm an old fart who refuses to grow up

Wolf63
09-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Moonbase Alpha was Space 1999 where the eagles were from. I had a model eagle hanging in my room, too, growing up. Also had a crush on Catharine Schell (Maya) :)

-Rob A>

I'm there with you, dude. I once drove 50 miles, back in the mid 80s, to get her and Barbara Bain's autograph at a convention. Good times