PDA

View Full Version : An abandoned map..

Turnpikelad
06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
This is a map I drew twelve years ago. I carried it around in my bag throughout my ninth-grade year, which is why it looks a little worn. I always intended to set a campaign here, but now I'm thinking it is a little bit too generic fantasy to be interesting to me thematically. It was made with a sketch of a political and cultural history, as well as a few fantastic elements I thought would be cool (the giant circular sea, the temperate city in the middle of arctic ice, the underwater ruins.)

My style has evolved a bit since then and I think a lot more now about a plausible geological history for the terrain, but I'm still doing things basically in the same way - imagine what the area looks and feels like, sketch out major features, concrete it just enough that I know pretty well what's where.

I like the hand-drawn look because I can imagine the map actually existing in the context of the setting, which isn't to say I wouldn't be open to learning how to polish this up with GIMP or what have you.

Ascension
06-28-2010, 11:30 PM
That's a good map, there.

a2area
06-29-2010, 12:27 AM
Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:

Turnpikelad
06-29-2010, 06:08 AM
Doesn't look abandoned to me! Love it (0:

Thanks so much. Your Torent map is an inspiration to me.

It's only abandoned because I've got a different project I'm working on right now. I should post it but I don't have a scanner and these things look really crappy if you just try to point a camera at them...

tilt
06-30-2010, 05:40 PM
very nice map indeed... yes, one of the advantages of computer mapping is that you don't have to have a working scanner to show it to others ;)

alizarine
07-01-2010, 04:29 AM
For a handdrawn map it certainly is impressive! I just found an old map I drew about 10 years ago and I'm *almost* appalled at what I was thinking back then ^.^ Looks like you were thinking just fine back then; just because your process - both for map ideas and creation - has evolved doesn't mean this "abandoned" map has to languish forever! Cleaning it up with GIMP or Photoshop might be a great way to see it in a new way - maybe even getting a good alpha map (Jezelf has a nice tutorial on that) to see the shapes of the landmasses would revive the map and get you thinking about new/better/different ways of setting it up. Good luck, wherever this goes!

- Alizarinerose

LonewandererD
07-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Whoa, nice. I remember trying to draw maps in ninth grade and mine were nowhere near as nice as this one.

-D-