PDA

View Full Version : Flying steampunk ship

clasherus
06-29-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm a bit of a lurker I guess, but I thought it would be neat to post some images of a flying airship I created in SketchUp for a 3.5 D&D campaign with a strong steampunk element to it. This is my first posting, so for some reason I can't upload a few of the pics. Anyway, hope you all enjoy.

Jaxilon
06-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Very nice, welcome to de-lurkerhood :)

Aval Penworth
06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Looks cool, but what makes it fly?

Jaxilon
06-29-2010, 02:26 AM
really high speeds :)

Steel General
06-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks cool, but what makes it fly?

Smurfs... :D

@Clasherus - That turned out quite nicely, and thanks for de-lurking.

torstan
06-29-2010, 10:30 AM
You can only post five images in one post. If there are more shots then definitely add them in!

Love the work on this - it's a great vessel. Well done, and welcome to the guild. A year's lurking is nowhere near our record :)

clasherus
06-29-2010, 11:10 AM
So I'm adding a few more pics. The flight mechanism - a magical engine of sorts generates essentially a very powerful levitation spell, emanating mostly from the large rear "wings." The engine and wings are also capable of providing some limited amount of forward movement. The sails provide the vast majority of forward movement. The sails are deliberately not really functional - I decided they looked cooler than just straight up copying some sailing rigging.

Midgardsormr
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Very nice! If airships are your thing, you might be interested in the style document for the airships from Magic: the Gathering (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1708).

Katto
06-29-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm glad you've left the dark side to show us something like that. I love that steampunk stuff! Repped!

Redrobes
06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah - likey likey. Will rep too.

tilt
06-30-2010, 11:12 AM
really nice looking and welcome to the guild :)

Aval Penworth
07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
. The flight mechanism - a magical engine of sorts generates essentially a very powerful levitation spell, emanating mostly from the large rear "wings." The engine and wings are also capable of providing some limited amount of forward movement. The sails provide the vast majority of forward movement. The sails are deliberately not really functional - I decided they looked cooler than just straight up copying some sailing rigging.

So how is that steampunk? Don't get me wrong. I love what you've done done, but steam punk it 'aint.

Wannabehero
07-01-2010, 06:47 PM
That looks great clash, very nice use of SketchUp! With a nice background underneath it I can really see this being a great game map.

rdanhenry
07-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Note that sails will not actually make an airship go faster. They will allow it to reach full speed somewhat sooner, but with or without sails, you end up drifting with the wind at the speed of the wind.