PDA

View Full Version : Tablet recommendations?

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I was thinking of purchasing a tablet over the summer and was wondering if any of you could give me recommendations?
Now I dont have much money to spare, but I can save up, the tablet isnt an urgent purchase.
And it has to be mac compatible, as that is what Im using :P

Suggest away! 8)

mearrin69
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, I'd have to recommend Wacom Intuos4. Got one a while back and it's pretty awesome. Get extra nibs, though, because they wear pretty quickly.
M

tilt
06-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I just bought a Wacom Bamboo at about (600 DKK aprox $100) - works fine for me, although I'm just getting used to it... I didn't wanna spring for the intous since I've never used a tablet before :)

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 06:08 PM
I have a cheap $100something tablet, but its a little funky
the battery dies so I have to always keep it charged, and I think people have stepped on it because its cracked and the flow is a little jittery @-@

tilt
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
the wacom is charged by USB and the pen doesn't use batteries

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 06:17 PM
oh no mine was a wireless wacom, the tablet has a battery not the pen

I didnt even know they made pens with batteries

tilt
06-30-2010, 03:33 AM
I'm not sure they do - I just know that mine haven't one and I was surprised that it was so being new to the tablet world :)

waldronate
06-30-2010, 06:35 AM
None of the Wacom pens have batteries. Some brands of tablet have had batteries in their pens, however.

I've had a fair few Wacom tablets over the years and they've all worked well. Admittedly, I've never been able to use them for much because I lack anything resembling artistic ability. Mostly they sit on the shelf for a few years and I end up giving them away to someone who will get better use out of them. My Intuos3 sits on the shelf behind me, lonely and dusty.

You might be able to get a used tablet cheap if you look around. I'm pretty sure that all of the USB Wacom models have Mac drivers.

Midgardsormr
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Wacom is the only brand to look at. There are other cheaper brands out there, and I am sure there are happy users of some of them, but all I have heard about them are complaints.

The best value on the market right now, in my opinion, is the Wacom Bamboo Fun. It's affordable and has all of the features a casual user is likely to need. Although the Intuos line is certainly superior, only a very skilled user is likely to notice the difference in pressure sensitivity. All Wacom USB tablets have drivers for Mac and Windows going back to Win98, but you may need to visit the Wacom website to download the ones you need, since apparently they've stopped shipping drivers for older operating systems in the box. There are even Linux drivers, although I understand that it's a bit of a chore to get them to work. But Linux users are quite used to that.

Gidde
06-30-2010, 09:59 PM
The Bamboo has a couple different packages you can find; it's probably worth it to spend the extra $10 and get the one that comes with Photoshop Elements. Elements makes you eligible for the upgrade version of PS, which saves several hundred off the ticket price of PS if you ever intend to buy it.

Midgardsormr
07-01-2010, 04:05 AM
Thanks for pointing that out, Gidde. There is a lot of variation in the Bamboo line. Some have pens, some are fingertip activated, and some do both. The Fun model is the one that has PS Elements, and I think the light version of Corel Painter. It can use both the pen and touch control, and it's larger than the Pen & Touch model.

Wannabehero
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
I also have been using a Wacom Bamboo Pen Tablet. Granted, it is my first tablet and I'm still pretty new at using it, but so far it hasn't let me down in any way. Also, at least right now, you can get it for pretty close to 75 USD at Amazon, which I think think is a fantastic price for the capability. And it doesn't need batteries!

jfrazierjr
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
There are even Linux drivers, although I understand that it's a bit of a chore to get them to work Understatement!!!

But Linux users are quite used to that. nope.. not yet.... trying to ditch windows and just not sure if I am willing at this point....

Immolate
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
I've got the bamboo. It's my first tablet, so I have no comparison vectors, but it gets the job done at a decent price. One thing I don't care for is that it hesitates to interpret my initial pen tap as a stroke, making it really hard to do short-stroke shading. It may be a configuration issue but it limits the usefulness of the tablet. Long lines are no problem. On Paint Brush, no problem, which probably points to Photoshop as the culprit.

Immolate
07-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Okay I was wrong. It's the "press-and-hold" pen setting that caused the problem. I turned it off, and now I get instant response.

simpfan1
07-02-2010, 06:49 PM
The Bamboo has a couple different packages you can find; it's probably worth it to spend the extra $10 and get the one that comes with Photoshop Elements. Elements makes you eligible for the upgrade version of PS, which saves several hundred off the ticket price of PS if you ever intend to buy it.

Really?
So if I have Elements I can upgrade all the way to the full CS5?

simpfan1
07-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Well been looking at the Bamboo.
The Fun model is a bit out of my price range, but the Pen & Touch seems pretty good

tilt
07-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Really?
So if I have Elements I can upgrade all the way to the full CS5?

if its elements 6,7 or 8 you can upgrade for $599 to Photoshop CS5 ... still a nice sum.. but half of what it costs in Denmark *sigh*

Gidde
07-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Oh, they changed the pricing. Used to be that you could upgrade from Elements for the $199 price. $600 for a piece of software is so very wrong. Photoshop is cool, but nowhere near THAT cool.

simpfan1
07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
$200, $600, either way its ridiculous.
I cant afford that.
Guess Ill just live with my outdated bootleg.

Midgardsormr
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Or you could move to Gimp, which is free.

Photoshop is a professional tool intended for people who make their living using it, and it's priced to that market. A competent graphic designer or photographer in a reasonable market should be able to afford it after one or two projects. You should see the price tags on some of the software I'm going to have to buy when I start freelancing. It starts with Maya at the bottom end for a minimum of $3500.

Anyway, the Pen & Touch is quite a bit smaller than the Fun (6" x 4" vs 8" x 6"), but in all other respects they're the same.

tilt
07-03-2010, 03:26 AM
wow.. Maya sure has come down... when I learned (a little) 3D we used 3D Studio Max cause it "only" costed $5-6000 where Maya costed about $18.000 (prices from Denmark).