PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Caeruin XXL

Quabbe
06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey,

This is my actually project, I have been working now for one and a half year. Lately I am unfortunately becoming increasingly rare to exercise my hobby, and I sometimes think that I will put this map never finished. At this point I would like to present the current status of my map.

The map has a resolution of 12k x 12k px in the original and shows my world Caeruin, I'm working on just for fun.

It still lacks some text layers (in the south and the east) and of course, also want the mountains, rivers, lakes, forests, plains, counties, baronies and seas still will be described.

I often sit down, start Photoshop and open the map. But then I suddenly have a big motivation hole and close the map again disappointed. Perhaps that will change anytime, what I'm hoping for. If this happens, I will post my progress here, of course. :)

edit: see the 'finished' map here (http://www.caeruin.de/images/maps/Caeruin 129.jpg)

Quabbe

RecklessEnthusiasm
06-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Wow, well, color me impressed. Don't worry--even if you never finish, you can die knowing that your work thus far has at least earned you some rep from me!

simpfan1
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Some rep, def.
Amazing map
Drool worthy

Aelyn
06-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm impressed, it's so huge! How'd you come up with all these towns and names and stuff? And the colour is awesome, I'd love to try something similiar. Would you mind explaining how you did that?

And, taking a closer look, I figured your names were German, which is funny cause I happen to speak some, and then I noticed you were from Essen, which is even funnier because I was born there (though moved away quickly). The world appears to be very small ;)

Quabbe
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm impressed, it's so huge! How'd you come up with all these towns and names and stuff? And the colour is awesome, I'd love to try something similiar. Would you mind explaining how you did that?
How I did what? How I'd find the names? Well, this was by far the lions part of the work. I created many names in the last ten years in which I work on my world. And the rest ... if I needed a hundred new towns, I created several "???" textlayers and placed them where I wanted them to have. Then I doubleclicked each layer in the layer window and typed a few letters and word fragments... what I even could imagine... and let it sound like a city. When I was finished, I safed the map and looked on it at the next day, replacing those names I did not like anymore with new names that sound better. That's the whole story. :)

As for the coloring I can only say, that I'd use colors of the pastelspectrum (very low saturation, bright tones). I'd use mostly the same colors for strokes and contours (but a bit darker) - like trees with a dark green contour onto a green ground.

And, taking a closer look, I figured your names were German, which is funny cause I happen to speak some, and then I noticed you were from Essen, which is even funnier because I was born there (though moved away quickly). The world appears to be very small Oh yes, it is. But you missed at least to live in the European Capital of Culture 2010, hehe ;)

@ reckless & simpfan1: thanks for repping! :)

Quabbe

Steel General
06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
This is really quite nice!

Turnpikelad
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
This is seriously impressive. I love the antique, worn feel of the map.

Aelyn
06-30-2010, 03:01 AM
As for the coloring I can only say, that I'd use colors of the pastelspectrum (very low saturation, bright tones). I'd use mostly the same colors for strokes and contours (but a bit darker) - like trees with a dark green contour onto a green ground.
Oh yes, it is. But you missed at least to live in the European Capital of Culture 2010, hehe ;)

That's what I meant, the map style. That's the interesting part where artistic mastery can be achieved, to quote a former professor. The names are interesting, no doubt, but very subjective- the amount of work you put into a map is not. Did you follow any tutorials or simply start from scratch? And: How many hours did this take?

Well, I hope it deserves the name of European Capital of Culture! From what I heard, it doesn't seem to be the worst place to live in, but I actually like where I am now, Capital of Culture or no ;)

Sapiento
06-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Grandios! Great!

Aenigma
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Me likey!

Very neat :D

tilt
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
beautiful map finished or not... concider yourself repped :)

Gidde
06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Beautiful map. I love the colors and wow, the amount of detail. Have some rep!

alizarine
07-01-2010, 03:25 AM
Sometimes it's not a lack of motivation that makes you close the map, sometimes it's just too many ideas in your head! With such a fantastic map as this, even unfinished, you probably have plenty of ideas. It can be hard to focus on or even figure out what idea to work on next. 10 years is a long time to work on a world, too! I've spent the past 10 or so years developing mine just for the fun of it - yesterday I found a map I drew nearly 10 years ago and seeing the differences really motivated me to keep working.

Keep up the excellent work on this, and don't worry about what to do next, with this map or another one. If this is just for yourself, it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it's yours!

- Alizarinerose

Ramah
07-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Really, really like what you've done with this map. I hope you get the motivation to finish it as it would be a shame not to.

Love the colour palette you've used. :)

LonewandererD
07-01-2010, 07:39 AM
One and a half years!? Now thats dedication and it really shows, my only critique is that all of those namkes in the mid-low centre are so clustered it makes it hard to see the underlying terrain. Still, repped for the brilliant work!

-D-

Quabbe
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Did you follow any tutorials or simply start from scratch?
My intention was to make a map that was rich in detail. So I started photoshop some day, created a new file and began to scratch the outlines of the landscape just a bit more detailled then my other (and much smaller) maps. No tutorial was used.

How many hours did this take?
Lots of hours. Lets say, I'd use the weekends in the last 1 1/2 years for nothing else then to work on this map.

Well, I hope it deserves the name of European Capital of Culture! From what I heard, it doesn't seem to be the worst place to live in, but I actually like where I am now, Capital of Culture or no ;)
;)

Sometimes it's not a lack of motivation that makes you close the map, sometimes it's just too many ideas in your head! With such a fantastic map as this, even unfinished, you probably have plenty of ideas. It can be hard to focus on or even figure out what idea to work on next. 10 years is a long time to work on a world, too! I've spent the past 10 or so years developing mine just for the fun of it - yesterday I found a map I drew nearly 10 years ago and seeing the differences really motivated me to keep working.

Keep up the excellent work on this, and don't worry about what to do next, with this map or another one. If this is just for yourself, it doesn't matter how long it takes as long as it's yours!
Thanks for the encouraging words. Yes, there are many ideas I would like to put into the map. But often these ideas fail already because I lack the talent for drawing things like seecreatures or armorial bearings. Unfortunatley, I do not like using brushes or textures that do not come from myself. Maybe this is my dilemma.

Really, really like what you've done with this map. I hope you get the motivation to finish it as it would be a shame not to.

Love the colour palette you've used. :)
Thanks! :)

Hey, your map Aronbor was one of the biggest sources of inspiration for my map, particularly as regards the level of detail and this fantastic rough and faded style! Great, great map. I hope you do not mind that my streets look a bit like yours. :)

One and a half years!? Now thats dedication and it really shows, my only critique is that all of those namkes in the mid-low centre are so clustered it makes it hard to see the underlying terrain. Still, repped for the brilliant work!
Yep, I've seen it too. And it has been fixed. Many larger cities have been to small villages. Thanks for the rep! :)

Quabbe

Katto
07-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Agree with Lonewanderer, perhaps it looks less crowded in the big map. Have you tried to reduce the size of the glow around the city names? It's a shame that you can't see the terrain below. The only thing I don't like is the contour of the mountains, it is difficult to see in the small map.

Quabbe
07-01-2010, 02:07 PM
The map that I have shown, is already a bit older. Although I wanted to show a new map, but Photoshop is crashed twice while I was trying to safe for web. So here is a small part of the map as it is actually looking.

Don't wonder, I have temporarily removed the trees. They will become smaller and closer together. Also the colors have become a little stronger.

Quabbe

tilt
07-01-2010, 04:52 PM
really nice... wonderfull palette - can't wait to see the trees in there :)

LonewandererD
07-02-2010, 01:17 AM
The labels are much improved, bravo!

-D-

someguy
07-06-2010, 06:33 PM
massively cool!

Thou hath been repped.

StillCypher
07-07-2010, 03:22 AM
I have to agree with everyone else -- really nice coloring, style, detail. I'm glad to see you've toned down the 'glow' around the town names -- I found that awfully distracting. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress!

Quabbe
07-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey there,

actually I'm only playing around with some different styles, like greyscale or tons of filters. Nothing yet what makes me happy, still experimenting a lot.

I have returned to a previous version (only 6,4k x 6,4k px) to continue the labeling, which is nearly finished. Since it is half the size of the original document, the working flow goes much faster and my laptop doesn't have to l........o..............a.............d........... . sooooooooooooooo long for each step. Still missing is only the eastern island and the rivers / mountains.

Oh, and I started with the decoration elements. All the 60 states and kingdoms will become a flag / crest. And in the four edges I want to show maps of the biggest cities. Lot of work still to do ... if I will ever finish this? I don't know. However, its still a lot of fun working on the map and seeing it growing bigger more and more. :)

Attached is a small image of the current state. I can't safe bigger documents than 2k x 2k px for web, dunno why ... photoshop says something about RAM and Memory ... but I should have enough ram (4 GB) and enough free GB on my hard disk (100+ GB). So whatever it is, I will have to find a way to safe bigger documents. My last documents larger than 3k px I had to safe in MS Paint, copying each cutting together. Pretty annoying.

so far,
Quabbe

tilt
07-19-2010, 08:04 AM
looks really cool, love the little placeholders for the crests :) ... and cool idea with the mayor cities :)
... and about photoshop - its only the "save for web" function that has a limit, so the only thing you "miss out on" are the functions for locking colors and seing original/safe version at the same time. You can just go to "save as..." and choose .jpg or .png to save bigger documents :)

Quabbe
07-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh ... damnit. Thanks a lot for the tip. :) :)

Aelyn
07-19-2010, 09:09 AM
That's so cool! Really I can't imagine the amount of work you put into this. The placeholders are such a good idea, how did you make them and arrange them so perfectly? Plus I absolutely love the parchment, subtle yet pretty. Can you tell me how to produce something similar?

Still there's one thing I have to mention: The names of the seas are pretty hard to read. It sure looks good, but I had difficulties deciphering them. But that's just a minor flaw I'd say.

Thanks for sharing your work, it's a huge inspiration! Wenn ich mal groß bin, will ich sowas auch können ;)

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Quabbe,

This is really wonderful. I have been trying out different styles, and this is exactly the next map style I was interested in attempting. Really amazing, and well worth a rep-whack! Sadly, it looks like I must spread the love before I rep you again... I'll see what I can do about that!

hohum
07-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Beautiful. In a way I'm glad I can't zoom in right now. I think I could stare at this map for hours. Have some rep.

Diamond
07-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Quabbe: you, my friend, are insane. In a good way. I cannot even imagine the effort you've put into this. It may well be in my top three favorite maps ever.

Quabbe
07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Good evening,

The placeholders are such a good idea, how did you make them and arrange them so perfectly?
hi Aelyn,
I drew a circle as a path and stroked it with giant dots. But I didn't want them to look perfectly, thats why I used the distort -> ripple filter, changed the dots into a path, the path back into a selection and et voila, the circle wasn't longer perfect. (Maybe I overdid it a little bit with the effect ... I will fix it later, when I'm going to create the crests.

Plus I absolutely love the parchment, subtle yet pretty. Can you tell me how to produce something similar?
Tons of patterns ... mostly photos of a naked wall from an apartement of a friend of mine I had (wanted ... of course) to help to decorate. And I allways play around a lot with adjustment layers like levels, curves and color balance on different blend modes, especially soft light. To put a mask on an adjustment layer and fill it with a pattern can also deliver interesting results.

Still there's one thing I have to mention: The names of the seas are pretty hard to read. It sure looks good, but I had difficulties deciphering them. But that's just a minor flaw I'd say.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm sure I will change the font by time, as the font seems not to be designed for curved pathes. By the way, that are not names of the seas, that are the names of the six greatest realms (and Taranalaar, the cold and uninhabited lands). ;)

Wenn ich mal groß bin, will ich sowas auch können ;)
Immer schön den Spinat aufessen! ;)

This is really wonderful. I have been trying out different styles, and this is exactly the next map style I was interested in attempting.
hi RE,
wow, you are very ambitious, working here and there on a lot of maps. I like the maps you've made so far, I'm looking forward to see more maps from you. :)

hi hohum and Diamond,
thanks a lot. :)

I worked the last day and today massively on the map and finally finished the labeling (of the citys and villages ... but hey!). If anyone is interested in the exact number of textlayers: 1773, enumerated with a script from this site: http://blog.kyletunneyphotography.com/counting-layers-in-photoshop/

Actually I don't know which style I prefere more. I like both styles, the antiquated and dirty style (the last I posted) and the clean and brilliant style (seen below). I think I will go for the last one, as it will let me realize a few more ideas I have.

Attached is the map in 4k x 4k px resolution (33% of the original size), temporarily without the deco dots.

best,
Quabbe

Quabbe
07-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Hey there,

after I had completed the labeling of the villages and cities, I have turned to the other stuff. Rivers, mountains, lakes and forests have each got their own color. Also the villages are different in color from the cities, castles and holds. I have removed the 'glow' around the cities, but still think about something like a stroke in a light color (like Schleys maps have it). Anyway, I've duplicated the background layer, used the Gaussian blur by 8% and put a mask on it, comprising the contour of all text-layers (expanded by one pixel and feathered by 2). Now the text is easier to see. I think this will fit quite well.

Well, until now, at least one quarter is done. :)

Quabbe

HandsomeRob
07-23-2010, 02:05 PM
I think I would set the large red labels (Sturmkap, etc.) to multiply, or at least get a bit of the underlying map texture to show through them. Right now they kind of appear "tacked on" and separate from the rest of the map.

Overall, it looks great though.
-Rob

Quabbe
07-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah, you are right. I allready had set the text layers to multiply, but thought it might be a bit too dark and went back to the normal mode. Now I've put a pattern-mask onto the text-layer group, duplicated them once and set the mode of the lower layer to soft light and the upper layer to multiply on 50%. Does look better now in my opionion, doesnt it?

The other style with the stroked edges can be seen below. Both doing their job well, but I still prefer the non-stroked style. Any suggestions?

Quabbe

edit: whoops, forgot to add the image :)

Felwynn
07-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Very nice colors! Excellent work.

LonewandererD
07-24-2010, 02:54 AM
This map continues to be great, i'd rep but i need to spread some more around first. Bravo!

-D-

Juggernaut1981
07-24-2010, 08:37 AM
The "scratchy" look of the buildings/towers/black markers seems to grate against the otherwise muted and blurred style of the trees, etc. Not sure if it is deliberate or not.

Quabbe
07-24-2010, 08:51 AM
I know. I drew this buildings a while ago for another map, but I didn't use them. So I came up with the idea to put them into this map. Well, when I put enough of this buildings onto the map, I'll try out some filtermethods, in order to adapt the mainstyle.
Actually nothing is final, everything can change just from one day to another.

Quabbe

Quabbe
08-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Okay, something has changed now.

I didn't find a satisfactory filtermethod for the "scratchy" buildings to adapt the mainstyle - so they were taken out.

The streets aren't longer halftransparent, now they are creamwhite.

The font of the large names around the land (Harador, Taranalaar, etc) is now good old Ringbearer.

The color of the whole map was increased intensively, using the adjustment layer Levels. I put some patterns on top with my all-time-favourite-blendmode Softlight and darkened the deeper searegions a bit.

I'm not sure, if the result pleases. I have it all the time before my eyes, I might have lost the "feeling" for the map. The longer I look at the colors, the less I like them. Actually I like these bright colors a lot. This was, however, also with the previous colors at the beginning.

Would anyone say, the former step did more convince?

To my idea with the flags around the map is to say: I have split the map in two versions now. The version below will look like a pretty standard "RPG" Map. No historical mapping elements or a rough used look, just a clean and glossy style. When it is finished, I will continue on the other map (I posted a while ago).

The labeling in the screenshot is not the final result. I removed the maskes and different blendmodes from the duplicated textlayers to finish the labeling first. Which might still need some time. I don't get the motivation to fill the missing mountains, rivers and lakes with names - nothing more like 100 names, but I don't get a start. However, if everything goes right, I'll finish the map until this weekend. :)

ToDo list:
- new trees (still don't like them, I'm going for a style I used in one of my first maps can be seen here (http://quabbe.deviantart.com/gallery/#/do4gvq))
- labeling
- compass / scales
- better style for the headline top right
- meridian roses

Quabbe

Quabbe
08-23-2010, 03:50 PM
I think I'm too tired to work on this map on. When I look at the map, I feel bored and unmotivated. I do not know why that is. Maybe I've just spent too many hours staring at this map. And my computer is getting slower and slower, even when I only change a textlayer it needs like 30 seconds. Not to speak what happens, when I do change the fontsize of all textlayers. I have to wait hours and hours until the progress is finished. The total annoying.

I'm not going to post the 'final' map in the finished map section. I don't think I will work on this map ever further, but I will use the textlayers for an other map in a satellite style. And that map will become much smaller (6.400 x 6.400 px).

Sorry, that I didn't add the missing text layers, the compass and the symbol references. :(

Bad, map is too large for this forum... Okay, here it is at 75% size:

Caeruin XXL (http://www.caeruin.de/images/maps/Caeruin 129.jpg)

Quabbe

Ascension
08-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Big maps and maps with a lot of layers really chug a computer. So I always did up my terrain in one file then flattened that and saved a new version for the text to eliminate all the layers. You're probably getting the worst of both things since you have a lot of labels (and therefore layers) plus the big size. However, you have a really sweet map and something to be very proud of and in a style that not too many can pull off well.

Quabbe
08-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I'll probably only work again on such a big map if I have a powerful Mac - or photoshop works with nanotechnology. Rather, the former will be the case, I guess.

I split my map up in three files: landscape (2,68 gb), borders (2,06 gb) and the labeling (1,68 gb). Interestingly, with 2k textlayers the filesize doesn't increase really much (only a few mb). The most place took the background layer. The landscape file was only 6k x 6k px and was enlarged finally to double size. I did some softing / smoothing than to retouch the traces of pixelation.

To work on the labeling file does at least demand the most patience. More than I have. :(

Thank you. :)

Jevis
08-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Very Nice!!!! The world is perfect, do you . Have history?

Bye

Quabbe
08-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey,

well, of course I have. It is here: www.caeruin.de (the problem might be, that it is in german ... )