PDA

View Full Version : Art dummy

Gamercow
06-29-2010, 11:37 PM
Hi all,
I'm a geography/weather/astronomy/cosmology junkie, as well as a gamer, and I'm here to learn how to map well. I'm building a campaign for D&D 4e, and I have the world in my head, now I just need to get it mapped. My goals are large, i.e. make a map for an Earth-sized world, populate it, give it history, religion, weather, tectonics, etc. I study maps a lot, and appreciate good maps, but I can't draw worth a damn. I'm able to passably use the software Fractal Mapper, but that does not do a great job with scaling from earth-sized maps all the way down to local adventure-scale maps. So I'm here to learn, and to gain some tips and tricks on map making. In addition to Fractal Mapper, I've got GIMP, and I'm decently handy with that as well.

Iapetus
06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
Hi!

You're in a position a lot like I am. I'm working on my own world, but I am doing it one region at a time.

Check out the tutorial section - there are a lot for GIMP because we have quite a few GIMP users here. You also might want to try searching the forums for GIMP tutorials, because some get buried when people haven't posted on them in awhile. (Also, try looking up "award winner tutorial" for some of the best.)

Welcome to the guild!

tilt
06-30-2010, 03:55 AM
welcome to the guild Gamercrow, and when you're done looking through tutorials and trying them out - post your work in the WIP thread for help and critique :)

Steel General
06-30-2010, 07:05 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Redrobes
06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Welcome, when you say...

..but that does not do a great job with scaling from earth-sized maps all the way down to local adventure-scale maps.
Why doesn't it appear to do that well ? I was under the impression that it was able to do that job.

NeonKnight
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Immolate
07-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I hope you find everything here you need. Welcome to the guild!