PDA

View Full Version : Egracien

Ascension
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Something I've been fiddling around with now that my illness has mostly passed (heat exhaustion...horrible, put me down for 5 days). My aim is to develop this with maps of the towns n such...give myself something big to occupy my time instead of just sitting around and watching the world pass me by. Names are still up in the air but some are set and I've a lil more work with the graphics to finish it off (compass, etc.). The coat of arms is some clipart I found and stuck together. Fonts are Anglican Text, Agency FB, and Bergell LET.

Sharpe
06-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Your work, as usual, is breathtaking. Just jaw-dropping stunning.

Jaxilon
06-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Way cool - And thanks for mentioning the fonts those are very nice.

Steel General
06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
Great stuff as always Ascension...

tilt
06-30-2010, 06:55 AM
looks really good - beautiful map :)

Ascension
07-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Something's missing, seems kind of stale and flat. I think I'll darken the forests a bit and tweak the random color splotches.

Gidde
07-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Darker forests would help I think; I can barely tell they're there. I love the written background.

Diamond
07-05-2010, 12:58 AM
As usual, your work simultaneously makes me green with envy, makes me stare goggle-eyed, and gives me impetus to improve my own craft.

But yeah, the forest could be a tad darker. Also, the black text underneath is really faint and hard to read.

ravells
07-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Looking beautiful as always! Perhaps more colour / texture variation across the continent? The rivers are barely visible, but I really like that, not sure if it was intended though.

Ascension
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM
So here we go, not much to really see unless you have good eyes but I spent three days making tons of minor tweaks. Font change to Amerigo BT italic. I think it looks too bumpy now with the forest tweaks so I may work on that.

LonewandererD
07-06-2010, 04:12 AM
By Joe he's done it again, kinda reminds me of the Dragon Age map but thats probably because I've been playing too much. Was this all done in photoshop or with an another program?

-D-

adunakhor
07-06-2010, 04:36 AM
Really nice map!

I particularly like the water texture and the foam along coasts :)

Ascension
07-06-2010, 08:21 AM
You know me LWD, all PS.

Steel General
07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
I think the only thing I would consider changing is toning down the desert a bit. The very center is exceeding bright and draws the eye (mine anyway) away from the other goodies.

Ascension
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Hadn't even thought about that, you know me n my dark monitor. I'll push it more to tan.

ravells
07-06-2010, 04:43 PM
It's really bright on my monitor too.

Rythal
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
The desert looks fine for me, but to me the deep ocean looks black in the second verion. Its fine in your first though

Jaxilon
07-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Hehe, you got an island due south near the bottom that looks to me like a puppy. :) (the head is pointed south). Everybody loves puppies, eh?

I think the desert is quite bright on my monitor as well. The center of it is almost blinding like the hot sand beneath a merciless sun...

It's still sweet!

Seretur
07-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Amazing, as usual.

Only three things I'd change. The desert, like SG pointed out, is too bright. But the two largest lakes also grab the eye far too much. The last thing isn't a problem with the map, but I'm not sure what the black sparks represent. The labeled, multicolored sparks are locations, but the map doesn't make it clear what the black ones are.

Ascension
07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
The black sparks are ruins...I'll be putting that stuff into a key that goes below the paragraphs.

Ascension
07-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I'd like to think that I'm finished here. Redid the forests and some colors, finished the labels and graphics. If it passes then I can start on the town maps.

Edit: Whoops, I see that all of the mtn labels got shifted to the left somehow so I have to put those back in the right place.

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
This is just amazing work, Ascension. Time for me to click that rep button...

StillCypher
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
The rivers -- it looks like there are lots of them -- are so hard to see! :( Even so, it's beautiful to look at. Your maps always are.

Ascension
07-11-2010, 06:20 PM
The reason for the subtle rivers is that basically the world outside of this realm is largely unknown because most folks don't care about other people's country...and maps are, therefore, sketchy at best. Since the monsters have come and killed everything it's up to the adventurers to explore and fight back. You'll notice that the rivers in the plains area are easy to see because these farmers, and merchants, find it very vital whereas the rivers running through those dark and scary forests are hard to see. Maybe I overthink things sometimes, though :) Plus I forgot to put in one whole river system, which I did today.

StillCypher
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Interesting concept, but not one that jumps out at the reader (looker?) right away. Perhaps something more obvious would work, like creating a frontier line ("Here be dragons"!) and doing the unexplored territory in a different color or saturation? Black and white (or almost)?

Ascension
07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Good idea, about the frontier. I'll look into that this evening.

kimbriell
07-13-2010, 12:21 PM
A most excellent map! I really like the way you have worked the colors. I especially like the sunbursts for the towns.

StillCypher
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
. I especially like the sunbursts for the towns.

I really like those, too! I was trying to do something like that with the magical portals on my Silver Moon Empire map, but I just couldn't make it look right on the lighter background. :(

Ascension
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
The starbursts are just a star brush in PS on one layer and a dot on a second layer. I was thinking in terms of Points of Light so I took the idea literally.

Ascension
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Down in the lab again playin around. I was working on a parchment/hand-drawn style for use as a player hand-out thingy but after doing the outlines, woodcut, and paper I thought this looked pretty cool. While I was at, so I thought, why not add those rhumb lines we've been talking about? Lo and behold you can't line up the angled lines perfectly in PS (I'm anal about such things sometimes and I spent all day on it not to mention rotating a line does horrible things to the pixels so I spent a good deal of time fixing that) so I should do it in Illustrator. But, for me, I may as well just bang my head into a wall for it will do me about the same amount of good as trying to use Illustrator. At any rate, the 90 degree rhumbs line up perfectly and the 45 degree rhumbs are pretty close but the 22.5 degree rhumbs are way off so I took them out. I suppose I could draw each line with a path but there are so many lines that I get all discombobulated...so I'll pass on that.

Gidde
07-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I really like that woodcut, made the whole thing pop.

Bill Hooks
07-18-2010, 11:23 PM
This looks great, and apropos of the original map, I think "Sinister Juice" is my new favorite town name. I doubt anyone would notice some of the rhumb lines were missing -- unless, say, they had just wasted a perfectly good weekend researching rhumb lines.

Incidentally, I posted my tricolor grid as a .gif in that other thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11100-rhumb-line-placement/page3) so if you want to give it a try, there it is. I actually did most of it in Photoshop (on an enormous canvas, 26"x26" at 300 ppi), but I did use Illustrator's polar projection tool to create a template to keep the angles true.

Ascension
07-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I've been on a Kool-Aid kick the past few weeks (trying cut down on Pepsi all day long) so when I walked into work with black cherry my mom and sis asked what I had and I said Sinister Juice...so I had to put in :) Sometimes things like that just pop into your head and I make a habit of writing them down so I don't forget them (much like my all time fave Cuttlestink on one of my earliest maps). I saw your rhumbs but the colors didn't match what I wanted, dark orange and dark teal with a hint of brown on everything. After spending all day trying to line them suckers up (a 2 pixel line has to be 2 pixels, and not 3 or 4, whether it's up, down, 45 degree angle, 22.5 degree angle, or 11.25 degree angle) I was at least going to get the colors how I wanted...which I failed on anyway cuz the orange is on top of the teal which is on top of the black. I'll probably do the hard way to satisfy my obsessiveness and it will give me something to do for a week.

Bill Hooks
07-19-2010, 12:16 AM
I think probably the way to go is to create a template with 16-point starbursts at each of the 17 "nodes", and then run single lines through the whole template until you've covered every angle. That way you're never trying to line up two lines that are supposed to be occupying the exact same space.

Ascension
07-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Exactly what I was thinking.

arsheesh
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Another amazing map Ascension, but then who would expect anything less.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Ascension
08-01-2010, 10:31 PM
So I've been toodling away on a hand-drawn version, I guess you would call it the player's version (even though I don't have any players to make it for I just like practicing). I'm adding Ramah's technique to my own thanks to his hills tut. It's taken me all week of hour here hour there to get the mtns, hills, and forests in...my setup here isn't all that comfy for drawing (great for gaming) so I have to twist around and sit sideways in my easy chair so my knees hurt after a while and my feet get numb and my hand cramps after all of those lil strokes. I still have the other terrains to put in but those should go much faster now that the hard part is done. Then, of course, come the towns n roads n other stuff. I'll be tweaking the ripped edges later but I just wanted something rough in for now. First time I tried doing a fir tree forest and I think it came out okay. Overall, the forests seem taller than the mtns but, eh, so be it...I think they look cool. :)

ravells
08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
Lookin' great BigA, I think you've really nailed the cliffs. The shapes on some of the hills are a maybe a bit bulbous though?