PDA

View Full Version : Lands of Twilight

tilt
06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
So, feeling I don't have enough to do with my Battle City, this month competition, Breakwater and free tiles and compasses - I thought I'd put some time in an idea I've been pondering. So here are Lands of Twilight - WIP thread ... a project that will probably take some time, but which is to test my abilities with my new tablet :) ... and force me to train in using it ;)

The land is in perpetual darkness and light is a commodity.

here is the first sketch and thanks goes to Oldguy for his roughing up coastlines tut, worked beautifully :) ... and a lot faster than doing it manually :)

Katto
07-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Hmm, I'm not a fan of the shape so far. The 90 angles look odd as well as the SW part. Looks like a cut with a large round pencil. Old Guy's (great) tutorial about roughen the coastline is good, but the amount depends on the scale of the map, so I can't say anything about it.
Will this be a kind of 3d map like the ones DJ draws?

tilt
07-02-2010, 08:08 PM
yep.. I forgot to mention that.. this will be my fist attempt at a 3d map :) ... does that make the shape better?

Xyll
07-02-2010, 08:27 PM
yes yes it does cant wait to see what you come up with. I wish i could think three dimensionally much less draw : )

Katto
07-03-2010, 06:06 AM
How did you create the shape?
For me it's best to draw the normal 2d continent/island shape and then use transform->image warp to create the 3d effect.

tilt
07-03-2010, 06:15 AM
I drew it then used EDIT>TRANSFORM>PERSPECTIVE ... and went in and tweeked a little after :)

Katto
07-03-2010, 06:19 AM
Yes, I meant it. Just dropped a line in my D-E translation :)

PeaceHeather
02-15-2011, 11:52 AM
Last post in this thread was July... how's the map coming along? :)

tilt
02-15-2011, 05:38 PM
been way to busy with studying and working and family stuff, so I've done absolutely nothing on this (still have a picture in my mind though ;) ) .