PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out . . .

Gallifreyan
06-30-2010, 11:27 PM
Hello fellow map-making enthusiasts! I found the guild when I searched the web to find out how to make a "proper" map. I am currently making a "hand-drawn" map in GIMP using Gidde's tutorial, Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) -- http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10655-Hand-Drawn-Mapping-(for-the-Artistically-Challenged)&highlight=ARTISTICALLY+CHALLENGED

Below I am attaching the current stage of my mapping endeavor. I am still tweaking it a little bit before moving on to GIMP.

I based the shape on a ying-yang symbol. But right now it does really seem so.

Happy mapping!

p.s. What does "WIP" mean?

Gidde
06-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Welcome aboard! I hope you have success with the tut; if you have any questions feel free to post em up in the tutorial thread (that way folks who come after get the benefit of seeing the question and answer). WIP stands for work-in-progress; the WIP sections of the forum are for posting anything you're currently working on so that others can learn from the process, comment, or make suggestions.

I like your continent shapes! Post up a thread in the WIP section so we can see this come to fruition :)

Gallifreyan
06-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Welcome aboard! I hope you have success with the tut; if you have any questions feel free to post em up in the tutorial thread (that way folks who come after get the benefit of seeing the question and answer). WIP stands for work-in-progress; the WIP sections of the forum are for posting anything you're currently working on so that others can learn from the process, comment, or make suggestions.

I like your continent shapes! Post up a thread in the WIP section so we can see this come to fruition :)

Thanks! As soon as I have some progress I will be posting there.

tilt
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Paul, welcome to the guild :)

Steel General
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Immolate
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I've got a special affinity for the yin yang thang. I think your map looks quite yin-yangy. Welcome aboard Gallifreyan!

NeonKnight
07-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Welcome to the Guild!!

ravells
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi Galli...check out Oldguy's tutorial on making realistic coastlines...it will save you a ton of time in having to draw every wrinkle.

Gallifreyan
07-18-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks, I am currently trying to randomize my coast.