PDA

View Full Version : Linlandia using Gidde's Hand Dawn tutorial

hohum
07-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi just wanted to post this for some feedback. I think I finally resolved most of the issues I was having in realizing Gidde's tutorial. I am in the process of working on the map legend.

In previewing I see I need to adjust the border glow so it is below the country names.

Diamond
07-02-2010, 02:56 AM
That's pretty great looking; I really like the little footprints-as-roads - that's a cool idea.

If there's one thing I'd change, it's that your city placement in the Horde lands looks too regular. It looks like city-planning from the 20th century, not the 10th (or whenever this is supposed to equate to :D). The diamond-grid layout looks odd to me.

tilt
07-02-2010, 06:33 AM
looks good... however it looks like your political borders are above your text layer which makes the text hard to read at places, so I'd move the text layers to the top :)

LonewandererD
07-02-2010, 07:45 AM
On the subject of the text, in some areas such as the "the" in the Horde of the Plunderer and over some of the other mountain areas is a little difficult to see the brown text of the brown features, maybe adding a lighter outerglow or a white stroke to make them stand out a bit more.

-D-

hohum
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the input. @Diamond: The footprints is straight up from the tutorial, I kind of like it as well. It is just a short dash stroke of the selected road sketch. The cities in the horde are a problem, it comes from it originally being a hex map and having things in the center of the hex. And yes the roads are weird.

@tilt: Yes, as usual I only noticed it after I'd made the jpeg and posted it. It will be my first fix.

@LonewandererD: I will try a few things and see. In the Ink Bleed step the final layer is set to Multiply so the glow around the text became much browner. It was the base parchment color and looked near white before the layer mode change.

Gidde
07-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Looks great, hohum! Text over mountains is tough in that style. Try taking your eraser at a low opacity and lightly erasing the mountains until you can see the text a little better (hopefully you saved your layers before the merge).

hohum
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Here is the tweaked version.

I moved the border glow layer to near the bottom and raised all the "Ink" layers to the top. I also changed the Ink cop #2 layer mode to normal. Upon closer inspection there is something up with the blurred stroke under both the "the" in the Plunderer and the "of "n League of.

@Gidde: Thanks for the tip. I had also tried using the color technique with white or a lighter color under the text layer in an earlier version, I may try that again. I am at version 10c right now, so I have the unmerged layers somewhere.

For reference, here are the source images:

Hand Sketch of original tile map:

Re-creation from scanned cardboard tiles:

LonewandererD
07-02-2010, 11:53 AM
Good work on the improvement on the text, much easier to read now.

-D-

tilt
07-02-2010, 12:12 PM
much better now... the thin titles in the mountains are the weakest - but still readable :)

StillCypher
07-07-2010, 04:58 AM
Very nice colors, and I like the simplicity of the style. Will there be a legend?

hohum
07-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Yes there is a legend in progress. As with most of my workflow, this small element has turned into a major project of its own. I also still need to try a fix or two on the roads and the labels.

Ilvarin
07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Great looking map. I'm planning on giving that tut a shot myself. Any hiccups you might want to share? I love that style though and really want to get my maps into it.

Seretur
07-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Ah, the hexagonal tiles explain the odd city placement. I have to second what Diamond said, the diamond (hah!) grid layout doesn't seem to fit a country named the Horde. Other than that, it looks great!

hohum
07-10-2010, 06:19 PM
@Ilvarin - No I don't recall any hiccups, the tutorial seems to work out of the box. What I have noticed about applying the "ink bleed" technique is that it may be hard to see at large pixel sizes/resolution but I haven't exactly figured out why this is so. I've tried it on some non map projects that are 3300 x 2550 at 300ppi and it doesn't quite look the same. Perhaps just need to enlarge the blur and spread so it can be seen.

@Seretur - I think it also just requires a little more imagination. The original had no roads what so ever, so I just threw something together to complete the road step. Also Horde may be inappropriate, again it was the first thing that came to mind. These are from notes made sometime around 1992 that I only unearthed a few weeks ago and all I had to go on was the term Nar - Gragthang in reference to the "Horde".

hohum
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Well here is the "fixed" version. I ended up using RobA's dsiplace map method, but the plasma was at 3.5 and the displace was only one or two pixels anything more and it got super distorted. The major changes are: Roads, outer glow added to text in GIMP. Then I added the checkered border and woodcut detail. I'm hoping that this meets with general approval, I then have to get cracking on the legend

Oh yeah, I also had to fudge with the image size to get even spacing to fit my woodcuts. I think that this should not have taken me 11 days, perhaps I need to clock in to see how much time I actually spent mapping versus farting around.

Diamond
07-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Much better roads in the Horde lands now. :D I like this map quite a bit, dude. Kudos to you.

Coyotemax
07-21-2010, 09:18 PM
This is pretty darn fine! I kept looking over it for constrictive criticism to offer, and it was hard. the only thing I can find to comment on is that the outer glow looks a little odd to me since it's lighter than the background colours of the paper itself. I try to set it up so the space around the text matches the background exactly - not easy to do when using mottled textures, i know. The way i found around it in photoshop is to put everything between the paper layers and the text into their own group and mask the areas around the text.. not sure how that would work in gimp though. I know it can do masking, but I don't know about masking multiple layers at once, unless you'd have to merge the layers and do it that way.

But really, it's a tiny point, and I had to work hard to find it :) This is a map to be proud of!
[edit]
well i really should read more before posting, I see there's been issues with the text already, heh. feel free to disregard my comments above if you like, I see you've been having to fight a bit of a battle to get things where they are...

Juggernaut1981
07-21-2010, 11:53 PM
I'd suggest you maybe try setting the text layer to another blend mode. I'd be thinking that maybe multiply might work well... also if you drop the brightness and contrast in combination you should get less of the "glow brighter than paper" effect you currently have.

hohum
07-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Doh! I forgot the brightness and contrast suggestion. Here it is with the feature and Country label glows set to hard light and the town label glow set to overlay. The opacity of all the glow layers is the default 75%. Multiply makes the glow too dark for my tastes. In the future I will probably sub divide the text layers by font size as I think that is also part of the problem, striking a balance that is legible for all sizes.

Ascension
07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Exactly, the same glow doesn't work the same at all font sizes. Live n learn, eh, but ya learn something new with every map. So that's a good thing and you're learning a lot and putting it to use so good job.

Juggernaut1981
07-24-2010, 08:50 AM
Doh! I forgot the brightness and contrast suggestion. Here it is with the feature and Country label glows set to hard light and the town label glow set to overlay. The opacity of all the glow layers is the default 75%. Multiply makes the glow too dark for my tastes. In the future I will probably sub divide the text layers by font size as I think that is also part of the problem, striking a balance that is legible for all sizes.

On my own map, I did each label by itself and added the ring around it on a separate layer so I could easily amend it if needed.

hohum
07-28-2010, 06:22 PM
Well here it is (I can't believe it has taken a whole month to do this). I will most likely redo the labels of the outside heraldry. I stubbornly stuck with my design even when it was clear it was going to be illegible. I believe I added in the suggestion of toning down the contrast on the text outer glow, but I'm not 100% sure any more. Any thoughts?

Ascension
07-28-2010, 10:37 PM
The small text that is on top of other things like hills (Hills of Desolation) are kinda hard to read. I'd recommend making a duplicate layer of your paper, and using the selection tools, select the text, grow it a few pixels, then delete the stuff outside. That way you have your text on top of paper instead of ink lines. Looks nice, though, man...the tree and mtn symbols really fit the colors.

ravells
07-29-2010, 07:21 AM
I'd also suggest keeping the 'Southern Wastelands' label horizontal. It looks a bit odd as it is as there's no reason it should be at an angle as it's not tracking a long thin object (like the mountain labels), and all the other labels in that class are horizontal. No biggie though.

hohum
07-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Finished?

@Ascension: Since the text labels were grouped by theme I selected by color, grew 1px and then deleted the ink underneath. As I said earlier, I would probably keep text of different sizes separate to be able to massage things to the appropriate size. As for the brushes, they are almost all Gidde. The towns are from starraven. And the Heraldry bits are from Juggernaut.

@ravells: Changed the Southern wastes to horizontal. At first I thought I might argue, but in looking at it there really wasn't any reason to have it angled. So I changed it. Thanks for the input.

If it is up to standards I will submit it as a Finished Map. Then I can go about improving my Finished Map to post ratio.

Ascension
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
I can read them much easier now, nice.

hohum
07-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Okay, I couldn't leave it alone. Rhumb lines and compass added. Too much?

Gidde
07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
I don't think it's too much, I think the rhumb/compass look great. Thumbs up from me!

Diamond
07-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Looks awesome, dude. There's nothing I'd change.

Coyotemax
07-29-2010, 11:43 PM
the lines work just fine. they add to the effect without distracting the eye at all.

hohum
07-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Then I shall consider it done.