PDA

View Full Version : Maurarchor - one map, three styles

Quabbe
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey there,

this is a map of the great continent of Maurarchor. It is an old land, which has been uninhabited for a long time. Centuries ago, in a war between humans and gods, the gods died, leaving nothing but darkness. This was the day on which the last people found refuge on Caeruin - the last continent. Since then, the surviving humans count the years beginning with the date on which Maurarchor fell into the darkness.

But the darkness recedes step by step and the first settlements were already established there again. What will they (re)discover? Hopefully many things for which I can still do many maps. Long story short, here the map is in three different styles:

The black & white style was created with the adjustment layer "Threshold", which makes a really nice result as I think. :)

so far,
Quabbe

craggles
07-02-2010, 10:30 AM
Really sweet!!!

I prefer the last one myself. The middle one is a great diagram that's easy to see what's going on but the last olde worlde map blows me away! :)

(And the b/w one really is an excellent result from such a simple effect)

Gidde
07-02-2010, 10:58 AM
All three look very nice, and the place looks incredibly interesting. I have to agree though, the third is definitely my favorite.

tilt
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I second.. eh... third that ;) ... they all look nice, nr 2 being a little "weak" in the coloring, but nr. 3 is definitly my favorite :)

Ramah
07-02-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm afraid I have to agree with everyone else. The first two are really good but that third one is just awesome. Probably the best weathering I've seen on any map here. Looks like I could feel the texture on the screen. Great stuff.

I really need to rep some more people so I can rep you again.

Steel General
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll just throw my hat in the ring and agree with the others.

Nice work!

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Quabbe - you seem to be quite the rising star here. Your work is really impressive, and seems to appeal to everyone! Keep up the really great work, I know I, for one, could learn a lot from you.

Quabbe
07-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey,

thanks guys. The 3rd map is my favourite also. :)

Quabbe

ravells
07-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll second what Ramah said, the textures on the third map look like you can almost feel them. Fantastic.

bobslayer
07-04-2010, 03:56 AM
ooohhh perdy *drools*

Seretur
07-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Wow. Impressive. I also have to agree with the others, the last is incredible. It looks like it could be a photograph.

Redrobes
07-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah 3rd one for sure - really nice. I ran the finished map thumbnail scraper and its written to pick up the first image it finds tho so you will find that black and white one in the finished maps thumbs pages.