PDA

View Full Version : First Map

Weston M
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Original title, eh?

First off: props to RobA for his amazing tutorial.

It's technically not finished, however this is as far as I intend to go with this first map. For me, it was more of a test run to see if I was familiar enough with GIMP to even follow a tutorial.
I would love some help with the grass/plains and dirt/desert textures. I like how the trees turned out (may pop a little too much, but meh) and the mountains, but the grass and dirt just absolutely ruin this for me.
I can tell my coast lines need work. Also, the tutorial didn't provide information on the underwater texture so I had to substitute something I came up with on the spot. If anyone has suggestions on that, I'm open.
All-in-all, I'm proud of myself. Even if it was a tutorial that got me through this, I didn't expect my first map to look half this good.
Comments/suggestions?

tilt
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM
nice little map.. you might wanna post a bigger version when you post so we can see more details. The trees are a bit shiny but nice texture - however concidering the size of the mountains the texture is a bit "big". Other than that it looks good - keep up the good work :)

Gidde
07-02-2010, 03:16 PM
The "shiny" on the trees can be toned down pretty easily with a quick overlay of a noise layer (make a layer, fill with 50% gray, Filters -> Noise -> HSV noise with color 0 and value 30 or so, set Mode to overlay). It does a great job of getting rid of the shiny/plastic feel while keeping the great texture you have going. I agree with Tilt in that I'd like to see a higher res shot of this, but that's just a matter of making the next map bigger :) Great first work!