PDA

View Full Version : WIP Kingdom of Braegor - New style(for me)

landorl
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
This is a new map that I am working on, and I am trying out some new styles. I started by drawing the map in pencil, then scanning it in. I then broke the map into two layers. One for the coastline, and then one for the mountains/hills. I erased the hills from the coastal view, and the coastline from the mountains.

I then added layers for the background colors, roads, towns and rivers.

I am obviously still working on this, but I wanted to see what others thought of the style. I am going to redo the scale bar so that it can be read, but the distance is supposed to be 20 miles.

So far, I have spent about 6 hours on the map, and before I go much farther I wanted to know if it was worth it.:?:

ravells
11-01-2007, 12:00 PM
The map has a really 'light' sketchy feel to it which I find very pleasing. I like the combination of the mountain symbols and ridgelines - particularly the placement of the latter. I'm not so sure I'm too keen on the green you've used for the land (too oversaturated) for me (I would keep it a very light green as you've done but just desaturate it a tad) and the really big outer glow on the continent, but I guess those are just personal preferences.

This has the potential to be a really great map in that because of the simplicity of the elements you've used, you should be able to pack in loads of labels without sacrificing clarity.

Ravs

Paul
11-01-2007, 01:13 PM
I really like the geographical treatment. It's a good palette and style.

The soft depth transitions in the water aren't wowing me, though. I might try a hard transition, or a stylized "vintage" ocean style, just to see how it looks. (By "vintage" I mean with littoral lines a la Tolkien and perhaps just the lighter blue).

pyrandon
11-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Hey Landorl, bully for you trying something new. Bravo!

I agree with the statements made by the others (especially the soft water lines, which gives the map too airy a feel, and the overaturation of the green.) I would also like to add that the trees being so detailed offsets the rest of the map & seem out of place. I do really like your mountains, and the general sketch feel of this, though. Nice job, keep going with it!

landorl
11-01-2007, 02:38 PM
I didn't like the feel of the woodlands that much either, so I will try to find something a little different to use. I will also try to do a little different with the water. I agree that it doesn't quite fit with the style of the rest of the map.

landorl
11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I've done some more work on the mountains, and on the background color as well as the trees. I am a little more pleased with this. I think it is getting there.

ravells
11-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Looking great.....I think I've found a work around on the anti-aliasing problem with CC3. You use a method called the Orton Effect (http://www.pcin.net/update/2006/11/01/the-orton-effect-digital-photography-tip-of-the-week/) . This is normally used in photography to make images look slightly hyper real but a by-product is a controlled blur on the edges. (The Orton Effect is basically a gaussian blur overlaid on top of the sharp image). You will need an image editor like The Gimp to do it. I've had a play and this is what I came up with (I also increased the contrast a bit). It's not better or worse, but just different and adds a subtle depth to maps which might otherwise appear flat. To see the method, click on the link. It also seems to make contrasting colours pop a little more which is always nice.

Ravs

pyrandon
11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
... It's not better or worse, but just different and adds a subtle depth to maps which might otherwise appear flat. ...

I gotta say I disagree: that version is much, much better IMHO. The colors and the details that landorl has so wonderfully crafted are much more clearly visible and attractive. That's my 1.645 cents! :)

Arcana
11-01-2007, 07:58 PM
The new version (before ravells) looks a lot less sketchy and more digital, you've done a great job of cleaning it up.

As for ravells changes...I've long known abotu the orton effect, and used a similar process to create softer photos as well as using a blurred high pass layer on overlay or soft light to brign out contrast and sharpen up pictures as well as give them an otherworldy look...The only thing I dont' like about the OP's map though is the pastels...never been a big fan of pastels.

landorl
11-01-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm actually doing this in Photoshop and not CC3, though I do use that for some things.

I have not done this yet, but I plan on redoing the water. I will repaint it in slightly more subdued colors, and I hope to end up with a little better effect to more match the rest of the style of the map.

landorl
11-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Here is the latest work that I have done on the map. I have completed the backgrounds for the mountains, and have redone the roads so that they are a little easier to see.

I have also tried some different colors for the seas.

The landmass is pretty much finished. I think that I am pretty happy with the look and colors now. I think that I will still do some more work with the woodlands, and I want to try something different to mark towns and cities, but it is moving along quite well now.

ravells
11-02-2007, 12:01 PM
So sorry, I confused this map with Midguardsommer's who was using CC3 and had the antialiasing problem. The colours in the latest version look a lot better!

landorl
11-02-2007, 02:04 PM
I have now added a lot of features to the map. I have also created a map border and a legend.

This map is very nearly complete, and I am very pleased with how it is turning out. I would love any comments that might improve it. I might change my symbols for cities and towns, and I am still not 100% sure about the ocean background. Does it look ok, or should I lighten it?

As for the towns and their names, I have only named the larger towns and cities. Should I name all of the smaller ones? I was concerned that it would clutter the map. I also haven't created their names yet, so that might take a little time.

Thanks for all of the constructive comments so far!;)

pyrandon
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
This is turning out great! I say go ahead and name the towns--why not? You have the room. Also, I suggest eliminating the blur on the ocean depths altogether--it seems out of step with the drawn nature of the rest of the map. Instead, I'd stroke the edges witha fine, very light line--or some such.

Great work!

landorl
11-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Ok, I have named all of the towns shown on the map. I have kind of used a naming convention somewhat akin to Welsh names, as that style would fit pretty well with the kingdom.

I will look this map over a little more to see if there is anything else that I want to add or change, but I am happy with it, and this is pretty close to the finished version, if not the final version itself.

ravells
11-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Beautiful! Well done - it really works well.

pyrandon
11-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Looks great!