PDA

View Full Version : July Entry - Nexus of Earth

mmmmmpig
07-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Let's get this challenge started up!

My idea is to create a nexus point that is below the surface of the ground.... I am toying with the idea of having a temple set in a quarry. I have a preliminary sketch done, but I have not scanned it yet... I still have not settled on the style of map I am going to do this in. Trying to decide between pen and ink looking amp and something like the highly textured "Something Swampish" map I did a few years back. As soon as I get something scanned in I will post it here.

Also, I will be making an effort to actively comment on everyone's work in progress thread. So don't be surprised if you get some C&C in your thread when you post it up. I welcome others to comment here as well. The 2 best ways to get better are doing it more and getting constructive critiques from others who know what they are doing.

Immolate
07-05-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm interested and paying attention :)

tilt
07-05-2010, 04:47 PM
sounds interesting - love the idea with people having digged a huge hole in the ground to "get to the good stuff". :)

mmmmmpig
07-06-2010, 02:26 PM
here we go with the first of the WiP's... I hope I am still garnering some interest from you fine folks :P

anyhoo.... still need to determine how much other stuff to add (insets, profiles, etc... )
still need to determine the overall style of the map... I have some thoughts on this, but those thoughts depend on if I can carry those ideas off...

god, I love "photomerge" in Photoshop... original is pencil on 11 x 17 in - ish

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
07-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Looks like a good start

Immolate
07-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Yup good stuff so far. Always a pleasure to see someone with actual talent sketch something up. I get the same kick out of watching Djekspek's stuff come to life.

Diamond
07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I like this idea; looking very promising so far!

mmmmmpig
07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks all. I hope to get some movement on this this weekend.

mmmmmpig
07-10-2010, 04:10 PM
not sure about the direction this is going... I think it has good bones, but not sure about the overall look.... I might have to work with this pretty strongly

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
07-10-2010, 08:25 PM
I think that once you get some more colors in it might look better. Right now it's just an orangey dirt with a minty grass with trees of sponging and some 3dish shadows in the canopy. It's got legs but just needs some work and lovin so stay with it and let's see what the next one looks like.

Crayons
07-13-2010, 05:09 PM
As a "practical" engineery type of person my initial thoughts here were rather unartistic! This might be pedantry but the access routes and the site entrances are offset from each other. One or other of these came first - and the second would have followed/aligned with the first ?? If this were urban then other factors would mess the situation up over time but that isn't the case here...
It also struck me that the entrances are too wide? If someone puts in the effort to build a wall with that many towers, then....
I'll lay off now! I'm really looking forward to seeing how this develops!
(Yes, I'm a engineer in the defence industry but I confess that we don't do castles anymore! More's the pity!)

Jaxilon
07-13-2010, 06:36 PM
LOL

as if the River Police where not enough now we have real live engineers on us....ahhh, I can't take the pressure!!! Where's a bottle of wine...isn't that what most artist's drink? hehe, now we know why. :)

Actually, thank you for mentioning these things. I always try to file them away for my future projects. It's funny too whenever someone explains one of these things, like rivers, or structural support it always makes perfect sense. Of course, it's not always fun to draw what makes sense.

Gidde
07-13-2010, 07:26 PM
As a "practical" engineery type of person my initial thoughts here were rather unartistic! This might be pedantry but the access routes and the site entrances are offset from each other. One or other of these came first - and the second would have followed/aligned with the first ?? If this were urban then other factors would mess the situation up over time but that isn't the case here...

Just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, it's possible that they could have offset the entrances from the access routes as a defensive measure.

Crayons
07-13-2010, 07:52 PM
LOL
as if the River Police where not enough now we have real live engineers on us....ahhh, I can't take the pressure!!! Where's a bottle of wine...isn't that what most artist's drink? hehe, now we know why. :)
Actually, thank you for mentioning these things. I always try to file them away for my future projects. It's funny too whenever someone explains one of these things, like rivers, or structural support it always makes perfect sense. Of course, it's not always fun to draw what makes sense.

Well, a little bit of "oppression" helps the artistic flair, on occasion! I think Absinthe is a popular artist's drink - illegal in US but legal in the UK(I think).
Don't let my engineery viewpoints distract you too much! I'm far more interested in seeing the development of the artistic style! Something that my "style" lacks.... art. You have it aright though, do what is fun.

mmmmmpig
07-13-2010, 09:16 PM
heh, love the discussion here!

Okay, the wall and entrance of the walled area is not so much for defensive purposes as much as for herding and visual obstruction. The "quarry" entrance is from the southwest and then wraps around the temple and spirals down to the temple floor. The wall and turrets are more for visual stimulation and giving gravitas to the area than for defensive bulwarks. The walls are also a visual shield keeping earth power pilgrims from seeing the temple until the very last second. It will be nearly impossible to see the temple until you clear the two entry turrets of the wall.

The paths leading into the area are following the ley lines... I might need to do some stuff with that though.

Thanks for the thoughts though. I hope to have some more work done soon.

mmmmmpig
07-20-2010, 03:41 PM
many many things left to do and not much time left to get it done. Stupid real life getting in the way.

things left:
1. Page tiling and marginalia
2. ground detail
3. shrub detail
4. building detail
5. an aesthetic over-hall
6. an elevation of the temple
7. other stuffs that I don't feel like mentioning because I have too much left

### Latest WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Mmmmmpig, this is just great. It has a really nice 'fantasy map' feel that I really envy. I really hope you finish it!

mmmmmpig
07-21-2010, 11:30 PM
now the rents are in town, the boy is having a birthday party this weekend, i am chaperoning the rents and the boy to a museum tomorrow.... I have no time folks, no time! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY I AM RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!!!!

things left:
1. Page tiling and marginalia
2. an elevation of the temple
3. some aesthetic stuff to really punch this thing up
4. win
5. win? eh maybe, there is some tough stuff this challenge

### Latest WIP ###

mmmmmpig
07-25-2010, 12:53 AM
So the rents are still in town, and the boy's birthday party starts up tomorrow, and then it is time at a state park for a few days. so the midnight oil is a-burning... so I am still under the gun here...

things left:
1. an elevation of the temple
2. some aesthetic stuff to really punch this thing up
3. win
4. win? eh maybe, there is some stiff competition in this here challenge

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
07-25-2010, 08:16 AM
That's a great monochromatic color scheme. The trees look like rocks, though, so you may want a bit more green there...unless you want the monochromatic scheme.

mmmmmpig
07-29-2010, 01:20 AM
and here we go.

Cheers folks

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
07-29-2010, 06:16 AM
This is looking really good, mmmpig! I love the duotone and the micro / macro layout (same idea as GP's which makes sense given the brief). The cart tracks are particularly cool!