PDA

View Full Version : Some maps I made in GIMP

dystmesis
07-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Made these a some time ago, all with the help of RobA's tutorials

Didn't feel like showing them off here until just now, dunno why :p

ravells
07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
You've done a great job with the mountains there. Great stuff.

Ilvarin
07-06-2010, 08:03 AM
Very nice, you've had much better luck with the tutorial than I. It makes me want to give them another go, since I know it is me and not knowing exactly how to make a PS tut work in GIMP when I hit one of the "lost in translation" points. Anyway, really nice, especially your mountains and hills.

hohum
07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Those are all pretty good maps, much better than my early attempts at RobA's tutorial. I concur with ravells that you did a great job on the mountains. My only critiques would be the hard edge on the Great Swamp in the first map and the Forests that look more like craters in the hex map. And have some rep for nailing the style.

RobA
07-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

-Rob A>

Steel General
07-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Neat stuff, thx for posting.

Aval Penworth
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
I like the colours you have used. The overall feel is quite calm.

You seem to have rivers splitting, which is not usually natural river behaviour.

dystmesis
07-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Two of the maps were based on maps from an rpg supplement, don't blame me (too much) :p

dystmesis
07-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Just did this one :)

Ascension
07-12-2010, 08:14 AM
Good eye for color, very nice. You could probably darken the forests and still have it look great because they almost fade into the grass too much.

dystmesis
07-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Just started working on this map today

I always have trouble with rivers so I was wondering what other people might think about my current placement of them etc :)

LordJR
07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Props for the mountains... they look really really good!! I'll have to take a look at that tutorial and see if I can adapt it to Corel.

Like what you did with the map keys. The forest still needs improvements. Not sure what as I haven't really tackled that area myself yet, but something.

dystmesis
07-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Experimenting with the rivers...

landorl
07-21-2010, 09:06 AM
This is coming along very well. I like the overall shape of the landmass, and your mountains are excellent!

Seretur
07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Very nice mountains. One thing: your lake, near the southern edge of the map, still looks like it did, when you drew it in. It looks like it's just a scribbled area. Also, it has two rivers flowing from it.

Steel General
07-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Other than the coastal areas looking a bit pixellated I think this looks good. The rivers look good (but I only skimmed over the map).

@Seretur - To me it looks as though the two rivers flow from the mountains and join together at the lake.

Seretur
07-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Oh, duh. I think I stayed up far too late and woke up far too early. My brain is fried. The lake still does have the scribbly effect.

Midgardsormr
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Generally, the river placement looks pretty good to me. There are a couple of places, though, where they're doing something unexpected. Specifically, the really long river system that starts in the midst of the U-shaped mountains in the north seems like it should empty into the bay to the west, but instead it enters the pass and flows toward the center of the landmass. In order for that to happen, the land between that pass and the bay must be higher than it appears to be.

Ascension
07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
That was my main bugaboo as well Mid but I was letting it slide.

Midgardsormr
07-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Normally I would have, too, but dystmesis did specifically ask for input on the rivers.

As I think about it further, this is one of those maps that has mountains and not-mountains. There's not really any sense of relative height in the not-mountains areas. Instead, we infer where the highlands are based on where the rivers flow. I know there must be a range of hills around here:
because the river avoids it. Unfortunately, there's not yet anything in the shaded relief to prove it. Perhaps some hypsometric tinting would solve it? (Hypsometric tinting is the use of different colors to indicate elevation.) I think this style might look nice with a gradient that went white-grey-brown-green. Of course, since this map appears not to have been designed with a heightmap, the gradient will have to be set up by hand. However, since you're working in Gimp, you have much better gradient tools than if you were in Photoshop, which should make that much easier if you decide to try it.

dystmesis
07-22-2010, 07:57 PM
Actually, there is some difference between elevation in the 'not mountain' areas, although it's not made at all apparent in the first map, and I don't think I did it very well in the second map :p

You've given me some stuff to think about, though. I was actually examining all of my bumpmaps on a gray background and I see some places that the river systems could be improved. There's actually a few depressions I see that look like they could/should have lakes at them, and I've actually gotten rid of the earlier lake thing I had which I didn't think worked very well...

As for the pixellated shoreline, I found out that the culprit is a noise filter I applied to the layer mask of the light blue shore effect. :)

dystmesis
07-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Something silly I made

Not really sure what I was going for

dystmesis
07-23-2010, 11:40 PM
Another version of the same area, but it has a lot of problems

LordJR
07-24-2010, 04:07 AM
Could be engraved wood.

Ascension
07-24-2010, 07:59 AM
The one with the black lines, you could mask off the ocean so that the lines just cover the land cuz that looks interesting. The colored atlas looking one looks fine to me.

dystmesis
07-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Need to work on labelling my maps next time :)

dystmesis
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
My first map with any kind of arctic landscape, not sure how it turned out

How does one make a map of continents feel 'continental'?

Edit: Did another version of the map. This one has a more 'artistic' feel to it but I didn't draw anything, just used filters :p

dystmesis
08-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Another map with the same style I'm trying to work on

Ascension
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I'll say one thing, you've got an avant garde style so keep at it...new ideas are sometimes great ideas.

dystmesis
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Not entirely sure what you mean by that, but thanks :)

dystmesis
08-06-2010, 01:03 AM
Same map, but simpler style

Second one (and third one) is my attempts to fold and bend it up but I'm not 100% sure what to do. Are there any tutorials for this?

LonewandererD
08-06-2010, 01:27 AM
Nice. For folds in the map, I'd ask Ramah or Ascensions, they've put nice folds into their maps before.

-D-

Gamerprinter
08-06-2010, 02:41 AM
All I do for folds is take a blank sheet of paper, fold it, then stress out the folds working it with your fingers - so it doesn't look like fresh, crisp folds. I'm a smoker, so then I throw some cigarette ashes on it, rub it into the folds, then take a clean rag and try to remove as much ash residue as possible. Then I scan it convert to transparent PNG (or use the stain-glass filter in Xara, which isn't available in most apps, certainly not GIMP) and you've got a realistic map with folds. I am sure there are more graphics only techniques, but I find working with the real thing more effective...

GP

hohum
08-06-2010, 06:25 AM
RobA's parchment tutorial has some here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?533-Tutorial-Creating-old-weathered-paper-using-the-Gimp). Also Gamerprinter's technique is one I've seen used a lot in discussions on the web. I think the thing was to use a displace map filter with the scan of your folds on your image.

Ascension
08-06-2010, 05:31 PM
I did a tut on folds but apparently it was technically incorrect, there is also another folds tut somewhere in there. Mostly, I just use the paper pack by Coyotemax and either desaturate it or set the blend mode to color. Far easier to do that :)