PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else having problems attaching files to posts?

cereth
07-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I've been having this issue for a few months now and it has me wanting to bang my head against my monitor. Whenever I try to upload a file/image and attach it to a post it takes me like 10 tries and like 40 minutes of hand to hand combat with my computer to get the file to load. Every time I open the "manage attachments" box and hit the "add files" button, the progress bar speeds a long and just stops with a just a sliver remaining. I'm not sure if it's my internet connection, the forum, my computer, or an act of God, but it's driving me nuts. I literally have to try again and again and again to get an image to show up in the file upload manager so I can then put it into a post.

Is it just me or does anyone else have this issue?:?

LonewandererD
07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
It's not just you, I've also been having problems with file attachment, mostly in my case the uploader rejects my file as being unsupported or unnacceptable (don't knwo the exact message because I haven't uploaded a file in a while) even though it meets both the size and type criteria. I've also had cases of files refusing to load altogether or the upload window just not appearing. Normally I just have to close the upload window, refresh the page and try and again and then it works.

-D-

RobA
07-06-2010, 11:17 AM
I have turned off the ajax based uploader and am using the old style one (the change is in your preferences) and find it works much more reliably.

-Rob A>

tilt
07-06-2010, 06:02 PM
only a few problems with uploading - I've noticed (or maybe thats a coincidence) that if I click on the "upload files" button before the thumbs in the uploaded has loaded - it doesn't work, if I wait till the thumbs have loaded - I don't have problems.

Aval Penworth
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
@cereth yes I have exactly the same issue. I just have to make the file under 1 Meg. Not a satisfying solution but I will try Rob A's idea and let you know.

Gidde
07-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I switched to the basic uploader as RobA mentioned and am still getting the error ... unacceptable/invalid/something image file. I've found that if I bump up the quality % (i.e. if 98% will put it under 4.77 i bump it to 99%), save a jpg, bump it back down, save a jpg, upload again, it works. It's inexplicable, but hey, glitches happen.

Ascension
07-06-2010, 10:30 PM
I just resave and reupload without adjusting the quality and it works.

tilt
07-07-2010, 05:46 AM
what you do "offline" should have no influence on the uploader - it doesn't check quality (luckily ;) ) it just uploads :) ... but is a bit buggy :.(

cereth
07-07-2010, 09:56 AM
I changed back to the old uploader and had no issue. Thanks RobA!

Aval Penworth
07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I changed back to the old uploader and had no issue. Thanks RobA!

me too, huzzah!!!

RobA
07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
what you do "offline" should have no influence on the uploader - it doesn't check quality (luckily ;) ) it just uploads :) ... but is a bit buggy :.(

It runs the image through a converter to create the thumbnail. That is the thing that seems to crap out. It gives a message that it can not determine the image size. What software are you using to create the jpg? I could be related to that...

-Rob A>

Gidde
07-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Gimp, always. And if i just save another jpg it almost invariably doesn't work. For some reason fiddling with the quality percentage makes a difference. maybe it's a bug or slight difference in the way gimp compresses the jpg?