PDA

View Full Version : Football: World Cup

ravells
07-05-2010, 04:58 PM
You do realise Gand, that the Spanish football team haven't even got a single yellow card. ....now as for the Dutch :P

Don't sweat it, Silentone. I have have feeling that you're going to be a great member in this community.

Gandwarf
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Completely off topic, but the Dutch are going to destroy all the other teams ;)

ravells
07-05-2010, 05:17 PM
They look pretty good! Uruguay should be easy meat. The Germany Spain match should be a cracker (I think Germany will win) ... but then I thought it was going to be a Brazil / Agentina final three weeks ago.

TheSilentOne
07-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Germany is impressive, so is Holland, so is Spain:), Uruguay is good, maybe they can produce a surprize, anything can happen.
I hope Spain wins, but sincerely I think Holland-Germany will be the final.

ravells
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope Spain wins too... I have a soft spot for them.

tilt
07-05-2010, 05:37 PM
are Denmark out?.... just kidding.. .I saw them getting their ass kicked by japan.. Honda totally kamikazeeeeed them... and I can only shake my head... its the story of our team... getting beat *lol*

Katto
07-05-2010, 05:46 PM
@Ravells: BUUUHHHH! The final will be Netherlands vs. Germany and we will have hard times over there when making holidays :) At least for the next four years.

ravells
07-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh yeah tilt? You should try living in England. Drew 1-1 against the US (the US???), Drew against Algeria (Algeria!!) and when we beat Slovenia (1-0) it was like we'd actually won the World Cup. When we played Germany I was supporting the Germans, the English press were so arrogant (and IMO quite racist) about the match before-hand it was quite horrible to see. As much as I want Spain to win, I think Germany deserve to win, their football has been just sublime. The only consolation for England was when Germany beat Agentina 4-0, so we could say to ourselves that we were beaten by a team that could beat Agentina, and we lost 4-1 (sorry, 4-2<g>). Which means we're better than Argentina.

Sorry, the football appears to have quite hijacked this thread!

Jaxilon
07-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Sorry, the football appears to have quite hijacked this thread!

Yep, now we have something else to complain about, hehehe :)

Gandwarf
07-05-2010, 08:28 PM
I think it will be Netherlands vs. Germany also. It's time for us to take revenge. But if it comes down to penalties we are toast :D
Ah well, everything is still possible. I thought the Brazilians would own us and it looked like they would... and still...

Ascension
07-05-2010, 09:21 PM
As an American 1%er (we who actually watch and follow world football) I'm severely ticked off about our team. We got lucky against England but we're better than that. We should have murdered Slovenia and Algeria. We should have beat Ghana and Uruguay would have been tough but it was right there for us to be in the semis. We would have probably lost to the Netherlands and lost the third place game but it was right there so who knows. But we stunk up the joint. Granted we didn't stink things up as bad as England, France, or Italy but I'm still really mad about the whole thing. Spain can't score unless Villa does it (5 for him 1 from the others), Uruguay can't squeak out another so Germany vs. Netherlands and the blitzkrieg wins 3 - 1 and Spain takes the third place game 2 - 0. Bring on 2014...in Brazil, I think.

tilt
07-06-2010, 02:35 AM
Oh yeah tilt? You should try living in England.

*lol* ... well, when it goes bad (and when it goes good) we'll typical go something like "well, we're only 5 million people against those big countries" ... actually I've long thought we should make a final count in the olympics: medals/capita ;) ... then we'd be in top :)

TheSilentOne
07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
We should have beat Ghana and Uruguay would have been tough but it was right there for us to be in the semis.

Well, the Ghana part, easier said than done, they do have a good team, and they were one very small step away from the semis(missed a penalty kick in the last minutes of extra time). Second, USA is not that great at, they rely too much on Donovan, although I do admit that they have grown a lot the past years(see Confederations Cup). Anyway, I think that the US team did a good job, so you should just be proud of them, at least your team was at the World Championships.

Korash
07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
........at least your team was at the World Championships.

*SNIFF* *SNIFF* are the sounds eminating from a small beaver holding a little maple leaf in one hand and trying desperately to "be strong" while wiping away tears with the other. :((

Ascension
07-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Do like the Germans and let others move in and get citizenship. Podolski, Gomez, and Boateng?! Come on.

Katto
07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
We should open a separate thread for this, but it was only a question of time until we discuss this :)
Ascension: ..., Klose, Cacau etc. We were drilled to be multicultural, due to our past. After the game vs. Ghana reporters interviewed Mesut Özil (born and raised in the town that should not be named(Gelsenkirchen)) and Hans Sarpei (born in Ghana and raised in Germany). It was very funny: Sarpei could teach Özil german lessons!
I hope that we will get the fourth star! The performance of the Dutch this evening was efficient, but not superior.
btw: four years ago it was a fantastic event. I live next to the street that runs to the stadium and we had a party that lasted 4 weeks.

Aval Penworth
07-06-2010, 07:31 PM
*lol* ... well, when it goes bad (and when it goes good) we'll typical go something like "well, we're only 5 million people against those big countries" ... actually I've long thought we should make a final count in the olympics: medals/capita ;) ... then we'd be in top :)

Sorry, I checked the stats. Denmark got about 1 medal per 700,000 population at the last olympics. New Zealeand beats that with 1 medal per 440,000. Australia got 1 medal per 430,000 population.

You certainly turn the tables on the USA though. 1 medal per 2.7 million

And as the Brits and Canadians will remember, at the commonwealth games Australia gets 1 medal per person :)

ravells
07-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Hmmm what if we calculated the medal count by square mileage of country? Britain would do quite well on that basis!

tilt
07-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Sorry, I checked the stats. Denmark got about 1 medal per 700,000 population at the last olympics. New Zealeand beats that with 1 medal per 440,000. Australia got 1 medal per 430,000 population.
You certainly turn the tables on the USA though. 1 medal per 2.7 million
And as the Brits and Canadians will remember, at the commonwealth games Australia gets 1 medal per person :)

:) ... thanks for that - when I said in top, I didn't nescecarily mean 1st .. 3rd is just fine ;) ... just as long as we beat the big nations :)

Gandwarf
07-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I guess it will be the Netherlands vs. Spain then :P

Rythal
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
yah, I thought for sure that it would be germany that would be advancing. guess not. Well, in light of Canada's past relations with Netherlands: GO DUTCH!

Steel General
07-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Since my uncle is dutch I'll go with the Orange!

tilt
07-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Rythal - did you know that Canada and Denmark are fighting (all in good spirit though)? There is a small island between Canada and Greenland where our respective fleets swing by now and then and plant a flag (and remove the other countrys) ;)

Rythal
07-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Err, sorry, I meant to say Netherlands, though yes, I have heard about that. I get very confused with all these similar sounding European countries. :P

Katto
07-08-2010, 02:00 PM
I hoped I never had to say that: Nederland Wereldkampion! Go Oranje.

ravells
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Hard Luck Holland, you have already lost!

Paul the psychic Octopus has spoken! (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/09/psychic-octopus-paul-picks-spain) (well, waved a tentacle).

Good news for Germany who will get 3rd place!

Looks like Paul has been receiving death threats (http://www.usposttoday.com/spain-vs-germany-paul-the-octopus-gets-death-threats-after-predicting-spain-win-over-germany/) after predicting Germany's loss to Spain.

My personal theory is that he is really Cthulhu so of course he would know the results before hand.

Ascension
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I heard somewhere that if he gets this next round correct that they'll let him go. I assume back to the sea...or his cthulu lair thingy.

tilt
07-10-2010, 03:32 AM
cthulhu - now why didn't I see that link.. that makes perfect sense :)

Gandwarf
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Never trust a being that does indeed look like Cthulhu.

We have Mani the parakeet:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/07/08/VI2010070803784.htm

Rythal
07-11-2010, 06:15 PM
and spain takes the cup. humbug.

Paul should be happy however.

TheSilentOne
07-11-2010, 07:56 PM
viva la furia roja

Steel General
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I thought it was a terrible game - to many yellow cards - when are footballers gonna stop faking injuries so much, it ruins the game?

Redrobes
07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Poor game and not altogether the best world cup on record either. I pity the poor sod ref who had to do that final. Tho he dished out cards like blackjack I thought most of them were valid. The game is not so beautiful any more.

In late news, Paul the octopus climbed out of his luxury jet today to tell the old trainers at the water park that they can take a hike after winning the lotto in 7 different countries simultaneously. Paul said in a press briefing that he is now off to get a sex change wishing to be called Paolo and wear expensive Italian dresses.

Ascension
07-11-2010, 10:06 PM
And melt our minds from afar. He is the most interesting octopus in the world.

Gandwarf
07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Paul got a bodyguard recently. I guess there are some angry people out there to get him...

Steel General
07-12-2010, 05:39 PM
I heard he was purchasing a small, secluded island in the Caribbean and was going to retire there with his winnings and a group of the contestants from each season of 'Rock of Love'.

Ascension
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, men love to think that they're smarter than their ladies but in this case it's actually true. Those bimbos can't even go in the ocean for fear of being cited for water pollution.