PDA

View Full Version : KB attempts handdrawn. . . film at 11.

Kingbreaker
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
So, here's something to occupy my left (drawing) hand for the time being as I blow off the thing I was attempting with flash (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10576-WIP-Flux-in-Central-Maerngau-Flash&referrerid=6631). This is an attempt at an old-school hand drawn regional map. It's of nowhere in particular, just an eastern seaboard with some mountains.

My goal is to do the whole thing with (yikes) as little automation as possible - no stamped trees, mountains, or cities. It is, so far, entirely in photoshop, using my intuos tablet. I generated the rough draft of the coastlines using the clouds/difference clouds/dodge & burn/posterize method. I then traced the results on the tablet.

This image is 50% of the working resolution, which is a little pixelated for display. Enjoy.

*Also, I need to credit Djekspek for his fine nd efficient tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10471-Step-by-step-3D-ish-mapping).

Ascension
07-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Looks like you're off to a fine start. Mtns and forests always take huge amounts of time when doing them by hand, or so I've noticed, but once you get through those parts the rest becomes fun again.

Kingbreaker
07-07-2010, 12:32 AM
So here's an evening's worth of progress:

1) Mountains finished
2) Coast "waves" filled in
3) Rivers roughed in. The two big rivers in the west have been widened.

as always, CC welcome.26729

ravells
07-07-2010, 05:11 AM
I really like it so far. I like that little plateau thing you have going with the coastal edge too. Looking forward t seeing this progress, no real crits from me.

Kingbreaker
07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks!

At some point I may make the "plateau" a little less uniform, but it's good for the time being I suppose.

Now comes the fun part- trees.

Gidde
07-07-2010, 07:04 PM
The mountains look a little on the blurry side, but that's not really a crit as it could just be the style. I'm also looking forward to seeing this progress :)

Kingbreaker
07-09-2010, 02:35 PM
The additions should be pretty clear -

- forests
- towns/castles26840
- revised coastline

StillCypher
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
The horizontal lines of the trees don't look very... treelike to me! I'm really digging the castles, though, and the coastlines. Mountains are pretty cool, too.

Kingbreaker
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks!

I may bite the bullet and do trees in a more standard style as these experimental forests look more like a carpet.

I also find myself running out of room. . . at the current resolution there won't be nearly enough room to do a decent labeling job.

So this afternoon I started a new map at 6x the size. . . and will be conceding a few steps to a more automated work cycle.

Ascension
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm in agreement about the forests but you could keep the style if you made the lines more roundy instead of flat and use some empty space.

Kingbreaker
07-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Here's a new map in the same-ish style.

It's basically just a lot bigger.

I am not looking forwrd to foresting this, but it needs to be done.

Ascension
07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Forests generally go faster but if you intend to have a lot of them it might take as much time as the mtns. Looks good so far.

LonewandererD
07-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Very nice, my only critique at this point is that some of those rivers are very noticeable, they kinda steal focus from the rest of the map with that bold black colour.

-D-

Kingbreaker
07-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Grrr. I figured out how to layout forests using a pipe in GIMP but I can't save the file corectly or export it into something usable :(

GRR.

RobA
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Grrr. I figured out how to layout forests using a pipe in GIMP but I can't save the file corectly or export it into something usable :(

GRR.

care to explain what you are trying to do with a bit more detail?

-Rob A>

Kingbreaker
08-02-2010, 06:52 PM

What I am trying to do is. . .

1) Paint trees onto a new layer in GIMP
2) Save the file
3) Open it in anything.

- Sometimes ( I can't reliably reproduce it) GIMP won't save the file successfully and I end up with a large file of useless gibberish.

Anyway it's working today.

- The forest is an attempt at something a little different - a deciduous forest w/o leaves.

Kingbreaker
08-03-2010, 12:39 AM

More trees.

Yay.

Next step --> image-piping in fields. Plant by single plant.

I'm saving the political stuff for later, as a reward.

Juggernaut1981
08-03-2010, 01:35 AM
I have to agree, those rivers are now waaaaaaay too heavy compared to everything else. Try get in there and tone down the solid opacity of those rivers, especially when they widen out.

Kingbreaker
08-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Interesting. . . for few iterations I did exactly that and did not care for it. I think I am going to to try darkening the coastline for balance, rather than toning down the rivers.

Kingbreaker
08-03-2010, 06:37 PM

- The big addition this time is fields.
- I tried darkening the mountains, rather than lightening the rivers. Lemme know what y'all think.

hohum
08-03-2010, 08:08 PM
I think your map is very interesting and looks nice. It has a very distinct style. Rather than lighten rivers perhaps the real issue is the choice of where to use black lines and where to make a coastline with blank water like your seas. I think what may be troubling to some is how the rivers get large at their mouths and why aren't they coasts or fjords at that point instead of black river lines. The same goes for the lakes, why black? Just a thought. I had a similar issue with the rivers in my Linlandia map. I re did them with a smaller ink nib size in GIMP and it worked out reasonably well. Just some thoughts.

Ascension
08-03-2010, 10:20 PM
I'd darken and/or fatten the coastlines to fit the rivers but I like it.

landorl
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I think it's coming along very well. I love the mountains and the trees best of all. The mountains are very well done. I liked the mountains a little more when they were less dark, but when you darkened them it helped out the rivers a bit.

Awaylaughing
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I like the dark rivers, and I think to offset it a the coast line just needs to be fattened up a tad, so to speak. Other than that, the trees and mountains are gorgeous, and I have to say, the little volcano was very amusing for some reason.