PDA

View Full Version : Harrum

Yandor
07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
So I'll be rather honest, I don't have a clue where I want to go with this... I made the continent and just wanted to find a new way, something different this is one stab at a different "look" still bare bones here, but let me know what you think.

tilt
07-07-2010, 06:40 AM
nice texture... the water seems a little ... blurry.. vague... it doesn't fit the solidity of the land :)

Ascension
07-07-2010, 07:51 PM
I like the land colors but I think it has too many bumps. Not sure what those are for. Maybe erase some out leaving some flat spots for plains.

Yandor
07-19-2010, 03:56 AM
Well I wasn't making too much progress with the other style... So I decided to try another way, The water still is way bright, but tell me what you think!!! Oh and I know there needs to be more "plains" and what not the land is a bit rough, I just thought of a different way of getting mountains onto the landscape, tell me what works or what doesn't!

Diamond
07-19-2010, 04:27 AM
I love the oceans in that. Love 'em. I like the overall idea of the terrain too, but right now it seems too busy; you're right, you need more flat terrain. Also, I like the mountains, but is there a way to 'beef them up' a little? To make portions of them thicker ranges, or give the illusion of greater height on some parts?

tilt
07-19-2010, 07:10 AM
I'll agree with Diamond - cool oceans... I like the bumpiness of the land, but its to much "all over", if you look at our world the mountains mostly come in ranges (they appear where tectonic plates come together), so try working from that :)

Ascension
07-19-2010, 09:04 AM
The technique for the mtns looks good but the pattern used as a base for them has a lot of repeats in it. As for mtn size I guess it's a question of scale so this would work for a world map but not for regional scale. You're spot on with the changes you need to make otherwise.

Yandor
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the comments, and to be honest when I started to mess with the ocean I got super excited when it started to become what it is, I think I may play with it some more in the future, cause I believe I got a few more ideas to make it look even better but we'll see

Well I tried to "beef" up the mountains. haha well it was either small or large, I went for a more medium look and it didn't turn out so well, so let me know what you think of these ones.

And Ascension your right haha, I didn't realize until I read your comment, and look at it from a more "zoomed" out view so I tried another pattern. I never thought to use a pattern as a bases for the mountains, but it seems to work, it gives a good "range" if you choose the right pattern of course.

So once more tell me what I can work on! I haven't cleaned up all the smaller mountains that just look weird, but I've done most of the bottom left portion of the map.

Update!!

arsheesh
07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey Yandor, this map has great potential! I too like the oceans, although the ocean shelf feels a bit sharp. My own preference would be to see the opacity toned down somewhat. The new mountains are pretty nifty as well. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I like those new mountains, and I'm digging that ginormous volcano in the lower left.

tilt
07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
looking much better... I'd clean out a lot of the small mountains though... perhaps put them in another layer and use them as base for hills instead :)

Yandor
07-22-2010, 04:31 AM
thanks for the input, I'm still probably going to mess with the mountains, and see what I end up with.

I would of done more with the forests, but I'm falling asleep while messing with it, so I'm calling it quits for tonight and posting the updated progess.

Tell me what works and what doesn't!

Juggernaut1981
07-22-2010, 04:47 AM
I'm just curious about how the oceans were done...

Yandor
07-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Interesting you bring that up, all I can do is break down parts of it, because by the end I really don't know how I ended up with it =P. All with PS.

1. I used the clouds filter to get my ocean and land (using threshold), and made a new layer and used brushes to get the land shape I wanted and ocean as well.
2. Once I had the land I got a pattern, set it to black and white, did I think a 25 expand, with a 50 feather and cut out the deeper ocean with it, so now all I had was a "shelf" with the patter, I always made another layer and just did a white fade just like the pattern to bring out the shallower parts even more and added a gradient map to get the dark blue deeper parts, and light blue shallow.
3. before I turned on the gradient map, I had copied all the layers and pasted it as a flattened image did a color range to get the white parts and then did a lightening effect to get a bumpy texture over the entire ocean (shallow and deep)
4. once the gradient map was on, the bumpy texture was in, and I had the shallow to deep color difference. I had it all flattened, duplicated it and I color balanced both of them to get the extreme colors.
5. Once I did that I ran both through 2 different filters and blended them to bring out the colors even more. One of which was Accented Edges, the other one was Watercolor. The top layer with the water color (green ocean) was set to lighten as the blend mode.
6. then I messed around trying to get it to fit the land a bit better, smudging some spots etc.

In a nut shell thats what is.

Ocean1 or pic 1 is roughly around step 2.
Ocean Bottom & Top or pic 2 and 3 is before the filters, so around step 5
Ocean Bottom1 & Top1 or pic 4 and 5 is after the filters, so around step 5

Yandor
07-22-2010, 12:09 PM
The this last image is pretty much the finished product, all this is the bottom right corner of the map.... Needless to say I may need to write an actual tutorial on how it was done...

If you want to take the sample pieces and mess around trying to get the filters the same go for it, that way you can get the same effect, just need to use the pattern here in the right way. I know all I did was colored the layer white, used a Vector Mask, and used the expand 25 and feather 50 plus land to show in the Mask, then I went into the layer style properties and did a patter overlay with the pattern and set scale to 20 and did a linear light blend. Hope this helps a bit.

Ascension
07-22-2010, 01:54 PM
I use stylize - diffuse = anistropic before running accented edges and watercolor and that smooths things out a bit before acc ed runs lines all over everything.

Yandor
11-27-2010, 05:25 AM
So its been a very long time since I've floated around here, work started, school started, and got a girl friend, life at home kind of evaporated... needless to say nothing really has changed, still super busy but I needed an escape and found myself on photoshop messing with my half completed experiment haha, well heres another update, not too much has really been added, just messed around with filters, and blending etc etc, I rather like the blend of everything, ocean I still love but still feel they need to be toned down somehow... but thoughts?

p.s. how I made the stylize changes... baha I don't even know yet, I did em a about a month ago... and just did some more cleaning up (mountains etc) so I'm still trying to figure out what I did =D

Ascension
11-27-2010, 02:15 PM
The way that I tone down my oceans is to use the dark blue from the deep part of the ocean and put that solid color on a layer above the ocean, but below the land, and then reduce opacity and fiddle with blend modes. Sometimes those whites are just too vivid and look more like rapids than oceans so I've done my fair share of experimenting there. My 2 cents, give her a go :)

Yandor
11-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Well I did a first attempt at toning down the oceans still donno if I like it yet, I also gave the mountains some more definition, and added more city areas in, I think the last few things for me to do, is to label, and add rivers, oohh and i added more forests

Thoughts? ideas? Suggestions??

Yandor
01-02-2011, 09:03 PM
So I finally got another moment in my life to play with maps, I took another attempt at the ocean... I came up with different versions, tell me which one you like better.

Added rivers, next just need to add city names.

I think I liked the last 2 images (not the link only) the best...

Sharpe
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
It's a tough call, but I'd say 'B'. They all look great!

Can you remove the black outline around the coast? You might consider seeing how that would look.

Ascension
01-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Looks pretty catchy, I couldn't pick one.

Yandor
01-09-2011, 03:30 PM
Alright so I cut it down to two I liked, First picture (or named Exp8a or A) is the original darker ocean, and the Second picture (or named Exp8b or B) i mixed a few of the other ideas for the ocean, its tough to choose which I like better...

Anyways I'm posting a slight update, I'd like to know if the coloring of the text, and the fonts work let me know please!!

Diamond
01-09-2011, 05:34 PM
I still like the orignal (Exp8a) oceans better; they contrast better with the land. I like the colors you've got for the text, and that city name font is awesome (what is that?), but the font on the river names is a bit hard to read at that size.

Yandor
01-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks diamond, and I think I like A as well, always did, but anyways the City name font is Dragonmaster I think I got ti from Dafont.com and I'll tweak the river names and see what I can pull up, thanks for the C&C!

Ascension
01-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I like how the shallows are better blended (in terms of color) with the ocean in the second one but I like the darker ocean of the first one. If I had to pick one I'd pick the second because the shallows appear too vivid in the first.

armoredgear7
01-09-2011, 10:01 PM
The contrast and overall color of A feels more refined than B, and the less obvious stroke along the coastlines is also better I think.

Yandor
01-14-2011, 02:20 AM
Thanks for all the support and suggestions, this is probably the final post here, I wanna see if anyone can find something before I finalize it I guess.

Not all together happy with all the names, but meh its fine, but regardless its "done" unless someone finds something!

Gidde
01-14-2011, 02:25 AM
Looks good, except that you've got a heck of a black border around the edge. I think it might look better if you made that edge thinner, and then added a drop shadow to separate it from the wood below. But I'm nitpicking, overall it looks great. This map has come a long way!

Diamond
01-14-2011, 05:30 AM
I think it looks great. River names are MUCH easier to read now. And I still love that ocean. I kinda sorta agree with Gidde about the black edge, but I don't know how you'd fix it, exactly. I feel like if you take Gidde's suggestion of making the line thinner and then adding a drop shadow, it might blend in too much with the wood underneath it. Meh. I say leave it alone and don't overfiddle it. :D Oh, and repped.

Yandor
01-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Well in all honesty its a simple fix =P, I have a filter that creates either a torn edge, a straight border or a burnt edge all on a blank layer, so needless to say the Wood border is on a separate layer which i can mess with, I'll post this up, and if no one sees anything else to tinker with then I'll toss it into the finished maps!

Thanks for the quick replies!

Gidde
01-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I like that much better :)

jtougas
01-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Not sure how I missed this it's beautiful !! :)

del337er
01-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Woah, amazing job on this one, the high contrasted look is very nice. The only thing I find wrong with this, is that the edges of the map are very choppy. I love how you did the cites/towns!

Yandor
01-14-2011, 04:16 PM
jtougas - Thanks for that, I was thinking the same, the way I had it before masked it a bit better and I was to lazy this morning to do some fixing, but I'll make the change a bit and post the final.

del337ler - Thanks, I really enjoy the high contrast too, when I started it I was shocked on how "simple" it was but now the tast is to duplicate it haha...

Gidde - Always the profound helper thanks for the suggestions and comments!

Yandor
01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Sorry for the double post,

But the finished image is here! (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?13128-Harrum&p=139890#post139890)