PDA

View Full Version : The Cartographers' Guild Presents Our First Gallery Show!

torstan
07-07-2010, 05:51 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/190/2/6/Terra_Incognita_Banner_1_Small_by_torstan.jpg

The Cartographers' Guild has teamed up with the Soho Gallery for Digital Art to present a digital show of fantasy and sci-fi maps from the 16th to the 29th of July in Soho, Manhattan. The show will include maps from Industry Pros, Featured Maps and Challenge Winners from the lifetime of the Guild. The maps on display will be offered for sale as limited edition prints with 70% of the profit going to the artists in question. We have an amazing body of work here at the guild and it is high time it was seen hanging in a proper gallery!

I have been contacting members of the guild whose work falls into these categories over the past weeks. I've had a great response from everyone and I've sent round the contract to those members from whom I have had a firm commitment. If your work qualifies and you have not heard from me please send me an email at jonathan@fantasticmaps.com. Equally, if you responded to my initial contact and have not received a contract today then please email me. This is likely to be due to problems with syncing real world names with CG usernames.

Edit: The show has now opened and is doing really well. We had a great opening reception last night.

The full list of pieces - with thumbnails - is here:
http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/terra-incognita-map-listing/

A low res preview of the animated map screens is here:
http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/terra-incognita/

Note - Tear's Westeros and Sarifal maps are in the show, but they are not offered for sale. Therefore they do not appear in the print listing.

OldGuy
07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a great idea! And some fantastic exposure for some of our members. How about a list here of what pieces are being shown?

I just checked their website (http://sohodigart.com/) and they seem to have left us off of their list of upcoming events. You might want to give em a nudge.

Good luck to those that are showing. I hope this generates some well-deserved sales!

torstan
07-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I still need to finish the graphic and a bit of blurb before they post it to their calendar. A list of the pieces would be fun. Once we have a finalised list I'll certainly put one together.

Jaxilon
07-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow, that's pretty awesome

Gamerprinter
07-07-2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah, I have three pieces going in for sure, though I provided five to pick three from: September '08 Challenge Win map, Sargoseum map for ICE contest, One Page Dungeon Contest map (Jan '10 Challenge), Feb '09 Challenge Genpei War map, and my Iwaizumi Village map (Feb '10 challenge). Some these aren't Challenge Win maps, but still among my better works.

The requirement was for unpublished maps, so publisher rights couldn't be infringed with a contract for possible print sales of these maps.

I've been dying to see the announcement here, that's for Torstan to post, as he's organizing this event. I have posted this on other forums too, and I am already aware of a dozen or so people from the various boards who live in or near NYC that are going for sure - I hope the show is a success! (I know it will be...)

GP

Jaxilon
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
I hope it's a success as well. The more it gets out there the better for everyone who wants to do this as a business. It could open new doors of opportunity and so on. Congrats to everyone who is able to submit works for this. REPRESENT!

JoeyD473
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Since I live in NY I guess I'll go and see the exhibit

mmmmmpig
07-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I have 2 or 3 that are going to be in the show as well. I am diging this the most. I have been pimping it out on the different social networks that I am part of and hitting the people I know in NYC pretty hard about it. I think it might be really well attended overall... I wish I could get out there to see it!

mearrin69
07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm promoting it as much as possible too. Hoping they add the event to the schedule soon so people don't think I'm making it up. :) If all goes well my Haibianr city map will be there. How exciting! Thanks for pulling this together, Torstan.
M

Gamerprinter
07-07-2010, 11:34 PM
It's too late to get affordable tickets and hotel for me to make it, for this one, but the next one I think I may... [that's a SPOILER that you don't know about - I can't say anymore.]

GP

Clercon
07-08-2010, 03:07 AM
My Etrakien map will be displayed at the gallery and at the moment I'm only dissapointed that I can't be there in person. This is a really great idea and hopefully it's just the start. Great job Torstan. :-)

tilt
07-08-2010, 03:34 AM
sounds like a great idea torstan ... be sure to take some pictures of the event so us that live half a world away can see too :)

RobA
07-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Promoted to front page news.

-Rob A>

torstan
07-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Just an update - we now have 43 confirmed artists and 73 pieces in the show. Congratulations to the guild on such a spectacular turn out!

mmmmmpig
07-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Just an update - we now have 43 confirmed artists and 73 pieces in the show. Congratulations to the guild on such a spectacular turn out!

awesome! Do we get to see the line-up? Digging this!

torstan
07-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Once I have signed contracts and people are definitely in (I'll be sending those out tomorrow for people to sign). The response really has been incredible.

NeonKnight
07-09-2010, 02:25 AM
**Sniff**

Nothing from me, but I am sooooo jealous and soooo proud of those who are going to be showcased! Congrats to all!

Jaxilon
07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
**Sniff**

Nothing from me, but I am sooooo jealous and soooo proud of those who are going to be showcased! Congrats to all!

I know what you mean Neon but I still feel like a noob to all this. I really Look forward to seeing how everything works out. I hope they blow the roof off! Maybe next time (if there is one) I will have something worthy to contribute. Either way I hope the best for everyone who is submitting their work.

On a side note - I hope the server is ready for an influx because if folks like what they see we could get a surge of traffic here. Eeek, I already can't keep up.

torstan
07-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Assuming this one goes well, there will certainly be opportunities for all in the next show.

First post updated with the Show banner. If you want something to post around on other forums, please feel free to use one of these images:

mearrin69
07-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I'll steal one of those for my site.
M

StillCypher
07-09-2010, 08:25 PM
What an awesome opportunity. Sure hope the show goes GREAT for all of you involved!

::thumbs up::

Aval Penworth
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
OMG!!! I am so jealous Good luck all of you.

Boslok
07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Grats and good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing photos from the event, please take many.

Ascension
07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I hope I sell lots and can buy Lebron James. And have him clean my gutters or something.

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Good luck at the exhibition to all who made it in! Here's hoping it will be a great success.

Steel General
07-10-2010, 05:12 PM
I'll be ecstatic if I sell even 1 print - actually I'm happy just to have something in the show at all.

Gidde
07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I'll be ecstatic if I sell even 1 print - actually I'm happy just to have something in the show at all.

This. :)

Aww, come on, that's too short even with the quote?

RobA
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
This. :)

Aww, come on, that's too short even with the quote?

Quotes don't count for post length. Otherwise you could have only quotes, which is silly.

-Rob A>

Greason Wolfe
07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
This is great news. I'd like to say I'm not the least bit jealous of those who have maps that are going to be featured, but, you know, maybe I am, just a little bit. :D And I'll second that whole idea of taking pictures at the show for a little posting here, it'd be great to see some of the works not just on display, but seeing some of the folks that are interested in those works.

As for Lebron James . . . Surely there is a septic tank or two that he could clean as well, yes?

GW

mmmmmpig
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM

you said it brother! I am ecstatic to have some pieces in the show, but if I could sell a few prints....

torstan
07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
I now have 40 countersigned contracts on my desk and an hour of video reels for the digital screens on my hardrive. All set for tomorrow!

Gidde
07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Woo! In case I haven't mentioned this yet, Torstan, you totally rock for this. THANK YOU for setting all of this up!!

Steel General
07-15-2010, 06:55 PM
awesome!!!

mearrin69
07-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Great! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
M

Coyotemax
07-15-2010, 07:17 PM
you are da man.

wish i could be there there to help out..

Ascension
07-15-2010, 07:45 PM
I'll second what Gidde said and toss in some rep as well.

torstan
07-16-2010, 07:07 PM
So it's up and everything works! I'll be posting some photos shortly.

torstan
07-16-2010, 10:27 PM
and the (first) photos are up!
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?11127-Who-is-planning-on-being-at-the-CG-Gallery-Showing&p=120841&viewfull=1#post120841

And the first review on World vs Hero here:
http://www.worldvshero.com/2010/07/fantasy-maps-draw-attention-of-nycs-art.html

Also, front page news on Kobold Quarterly today:
http://www.koboldquarterly.com/k/front-page6015.php

Jaxilon
07-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Incredible, and a great words from HVW. I don't know what you had to go through to put this together but it certainly ranks as a "stellar" move in my book. Fabulous job in getting something we all love out into the public's eye.

mmmmmpig
07-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Oh, since it is going on right now, iffins you don't mind, who are the participants and have you heard any more feedback (from the gallery etc...)

torstan
07-18-2010, 02:19 PM
So far so good. Two prospective sales so far and some nice feedback from the visitors. Now it's a matter of getting word out. It would be fun to get featured by Slashdot - so if anyone feels so inclined please submit the story to slashdot. The important details are
What: First ever digital exhibit of fantasy maps from best selling roleplaying games organised by the largest fantasy mapmaking community in the world.
Where: Soho Gallery for Digital Art, 138 Sullivan Street, Soho, NY
When: until the 29th of July
Also: Drinks reception and launch - Wednesdy the 21st of July, 6-9pm

40 artists, 90 maps, images on display are offered for sale through the run of the show as limited edition high quality prints.

And since you asked, here's the list of all those with work in the show!
Aerius, Djekspek, MysticMagellan, Ruedy, a2area, Anna, Gamerprinter, Naeddyr, Sapiento, armoredGear7, Ascension, Ghalev, Pasis, Schley, cmnmd, Auth, Gidde, Ramah, SteelGeneral, misteradam, Bohunk, HandsomeRob, Ravells, Tear, mmmmmpig, Clercon, Heruca, RedRobes, TheRedEpic, Coyotemax, Immolate, Redstar, Tintagel, Crooty, Katerek, RobA, Toff, DevinNight, Mearrin69, Torstan, Wag

mmmmmpig
07-18-2010, 03:32 PM
That is great stuff!

Midgardsormr
07-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Given what a big honor this is for the selected cartographers, I think there should be a new forum badge to go along with it.

mearrin69
07-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow. I'm honored to be in included in that group of awesome cartographers!

Oh, and, I second the forum badge idea (for purely selfish reasons!) :P
M

Naeddyr
07-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Aerius, Djekspek, MysticMagellan, Ruedy, a2area, Anna, Gamerprinter, Naedyrr, Sapiento, armoredGear7, Ascension, Ghalev, Pasis, Schley, cmnmd, Auth, Gidde, Ramah, SteelGeneral, misteradam, Bohunk, HandsomeRob, Ravells, Tear, mmmmmpig, Clercon, Heruca, RedRobes, TheRedEpic, Coyotemax, Immolate, Redstar, Tintagel, Crooty, Katerek, RobA, Toff, DevinNight, Mearrin69, Torstan, Wag

Aaugh, I wished you'd had caught that.

I hope you used my real name, it's easier to spell.

---
Kristian Järventaus

PS: Also god, to modify blurbs to that extent is just gah. It really becomes pointless to give any sort of blurb at all if *that* happens to them. One of my answers was about the kinds of worlds David Eddings used to have in his rubber-stamp series, and how that acted as a sort of anti-model for me later, but I bet it'll turn into a "David Eddings... is a... genius of... world building." Doesn't help that the original ran for twenty pages.

Otherwise I am very excited and squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

It would be really neat to have photographic evidence that I am actually there.

Ascension
07-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Good to see that your still kickin about Nae.

Naeddyr
07-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Yeah, I just haven't made any maps in ages. I fleet from one project to another, like an alcoholic bumble-bee. When I get the hankering for some more mapping I'll appear once again.

torstan
07-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Kristian - I have used your real name for the show. However when listing artists here it's pointless to put up real names as few of us know them. Also, people don't want their real names plastered all over the internet most of the time. Trust me - that spelling error is only in my directory listing on my laptop. Only those who explicitly asked for their forum nick to be used instead have that on the screens instead of their real names.

As for the quotes - that was one isolated incident. Quotes always have to be cropped as there is limited space to display any quote. In this case it had the effect of changing the sense. As soon as Redrobes highlighted the error it was fixed. No one is out to get you, and I am very grateful for all the answers that were given on short notice. It's certainly useful.

In future, if someone has a concern about how they've been represented then please contact me directly. I will get that quicker and I can change it.

Redrobes
07-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Sorry Torstan - my bad. It sort of got a life of its own after I posted it. Glad you were able to fix it up. Thanks and well done for everything.

Just to be clear, were all fellin more akin to Naeddyr's mood...

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

:D

torstan
07-19-2010, 11:29 AM
No worries. I remember talking to the local paper back home about the LHC when I was a graduate student and how I was working on making some predictions for it. It was pretty innocuous stuff but it was around the time that it was turning on so it seemed like a nice local angle on an international story. They ran my quote, but they prefaced it with 'Jonathan Roberts, a key member of the team running the LHC, says ...' I wanted the earth to swallow me. If even one experimentalist had seen that then my name would have been mud. No chance I'd have been able to tell them that I'd said nothing of the sort to the paper. So yes, I entirely understand all the nerves that come from being asked to provide quotes and then worrying about what's been done with your words. I'm very careful with them (especially so now!).

And yes, it's really exciting. The reception to the show has been great, and with the launch this week it should create a lot of buzz. I've got loads more photos (including Ysi Earth!) and I'll get them up. I plan to have photos of every map up on a wall so that everyone has a photo to take away.

Naeddyr
07-19-2010, 01:14 PM
I wanted the earth to swallow me.

Pfft, like the LHC wouldn't take care of THAT. /tired joke

And yes, it's really exciting. The reception to the show has been great, and with the launch this week it should create a lot of buzz. I've got loads more photos (including Ysi Earth!) and I'll get them up. I plan to have photos of every map up on a wall so that everyone has a photo to take away.

GIMME GIMME GIMME

torstan
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
See, sometimes it's a shame the LHC didn't create a black hole :) And those jokes never get old.... Just wait until it turns on at full energy in 2011 - they'll all come out and do the rounds again.

mmmmmpig
07-19-2010, 05:44 PM
we all know that the LHC won't go to full power until 2012 and then the Mayans will be correct. Personally, I think the whole 2012 thing has to do with the inability of the seers, sorcerers, soothsayers, prognosticators, and people scrying into the future can't read a digital signal and most of the news outlet feeds will be digital by 2012, but that is a story for another time...

anywho... This show is an awesome story and I have a few NYC friends who are going to make the trip and see it. How do we know what they did with our blurbs?

torstan
07-19-2010, 07:06 PM
If you're particularly concerned then send me an email and I'll track down the version that's going up and email it back to you. But of course there are 40 people in the show and it all takes time, so please do this if you're particularly concerned rather than just every single person.

mmmmmpig
07-19-2010, 07:12 PM
no worries, I don't think I answered anything in a way that could be cut into something offensive without the editor having malicious intent. I was more just curious to see if there were a way to look at it easily. So how many balls do you have in the air right now, Torstan? You have got to be doing some serious juggling right now.

torstan
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Oh one or two :)

(moving house, changing position, visas, science projects, super secret Open Design logo, all the maps everyone wants done for Gen Con, new blog design and art - and around 40 artists and a gallery opening)

Ascension
07-19-2010, 07:49 PM
And a partridge in a pear tree.

mmmmmpig
07-19-2010, 10:27 PM
I just found this one on the Internets

a quick video of 4 or 5 maps in the exhibit (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/4931349/terra_incognita_preview/)

mearrin69
07-20-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice find. Man, those are some awesome maps. When I see stuff from Maranda and Schley and some of the other folks in the exhibit it makes me realize I probably shouldn't have a map there :P
M

torstan
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Someone's Google-fu is getting a work-out. For those that want to see this in a more civilised setting - you can see it here:
http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/terra-incognita/

We wanted to give reporters a sped up, cropped web preview of the show so they could get a taste of the format.

In other news - it's up on the Artorder blog (by WotC Art Director John Schindehette):
http://artorder.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-i-made-it-mark-zug.html

It's towards the bottom - in the 'On the Radar' section.

... and front page news on today's ENWorld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/284134-d-d-rpg-news-tuesday-20-july-2010-a.html).

torstan
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
And here's a collection of photos of (I believe) all the maps on show:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jproberts00/TerraIncognitaImages#

mmmmmpig
07-20-2010, 07:29 PM
Great job, Torstan! That is awesome!

Coyotemax
07-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I sent an email directly to Torstan regarding this, but I also wanted to say it publicly (even if others are already saying it, I just want to add to it) - There aren't really any words to express how much I appreciate the work you've put into this show, but I'll try anyhow - Thank You! You Rock! You da Man!

(and eventually the site will let me rep you again!)

Naeddyr
07-21-2010, 05:19 AM
And here's a collection of photos of (I believe) all the maps on show:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jproberts00/TerraIncognitaImages#

It... It's... It exists! It's true! Now I can show them, show them all!!

torstan
07-22-2010, 03:01 PM
A gallery of all the images in the show is up here along with their print references:
http://fantasticmaps.wordpress.com/terra-incognita-map-listing/

Please feel free to shop that link around to show off your work. People can use the print reference for each image to order the limited edition prints from the gallery.

Redrobes
07-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Cool & nicely done.

Is mine of Ref L2:1 if anyone should ask ?

torstan
07-22-2010, 03:35 PM
It certainly is, but equally artist name and image title will do the trick. I've updated the image listing to reflect the print ref on your image.

Redrobes
07-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks. If I sell one ill donate it to the guild so I hope it does sell. Having a tiny bit of experience with gallery shows from family who do some, I know its very unlikely. I hope NY galleries do a little better than the rather obscure ones about here.

mmmmmpig
07-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Cool stuff, Torstan! Love that you are getting good feedback. I hope someone can make a mint off of this, and honestly, I hope it is you, Torstan.

mmmmmpig
07-29-2010, 01:23 AM
any word on how the show is finishing out? Inquiring minds outside of NYC want to know

torstan
07-29-2010, 06:42 PM
:) Well word just in that the gallery liked the show so much they want to extend it to the 1st of September! It'll be dark next week as they have some other stuff on so it will run from the 10th of August to the 1st of September. Seems like we have some fans of CG maps!

Ascension
07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
We do awesome work, of course we gots fans :) Now those fans better be shelling out bucks to show their appreciation ;)

Jaxilon
07-29-2010, 07:20 PM
Darn tootin' - it costs money to dream :)

ravells
07-29-2010, 07:36 PM
That's great news! Ascension and Torstan will be household names before long :)

Gidde
07-29-2010, 08:07 PM
What great news!

mmmmmpig
07-29-2010, 09:07 PM
well, that is cool.... any sales as of yet?

Auth
07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Haven't dropped a line yet in regards to the show, but I would like to second the running sentiment of this thread - THANK YOU! It is a sheer honor to have been included within the ranks of such unbelievable talent. As an amateur graphic artist, this event has been the highlight of my artistic career. To have been featured in an art gallery in NYC is just.... indescribable.

Ascension
07-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, how cool is that?! You can always say, in passing conversation when trying to out-snooty others, "I've been shown in New York" and that can never be taken away from you.

Gidde
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
Haha, I've been saying much the same thing to all my family and friends ("I don't care if one print sells. For the rest of my life I'll know my art was on a wall in SoHo.") What a warm fuzzy :D

mmmmmpig
07-29-2010, 11:54 PM
exactly my sentiments... I definitely have said something akin to "I have some pieces showing in New York right now."

Steel General
07-30-2010, 12:38 PM
When I told my relatives, my sister's first reaction was "For Real?"

mearrin69
09-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I guess I should note this: my wife put on her PR hat and called the local newspaper about the event so they wrote it up. It's a goofy picture but it's kinda cool they picked it up...and even talked about my RPG stuff a little. The reporter had no clue what I was talking about though. Neither do my neighbors, who apparently *all* take the paper. :)

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/jul/30/show-puts-vancouver-artist-on-map/

RecklessEnthusiasm
09-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Congrats, my man! You're now a celebrity!

Ascension
09-15-2010, 12:20 AM
Your wife just outed you as the neighborhood uber-dork :) Heh heh. It's ok, though - make her buy you Season Ticket cable tv package for football and then you get your Sundays to yourself. ;) Tell her, "The humiliation is too unbearable so I have to butch myself up by watching football...and it's all your fault". :)

My mom is trying to figure out a way that she can out me but, luckily, we have to pay for these types of stories here instead of getting the free PR. $500 for newspapers and $3,000 for those local tv "what's going on in St. Louis" type of shows. So I think I'll be able to remain anonymous for a while longer.

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Congrats on getting in the paper. Although, I hope I can join Ascension in remaining anonymous :)

jtougas
09-15-2010, 12:35 AM
wow..do I feel just a little silly for stealing your buildings now..kind of like stealing from Tom Cruise but without all the screaming...

mearrin69
09-15-2010, 04:49 AM
LOL. Let's stick with "sampling"...it sounds so much better. Hmmm. Bittersweet to be compared to Tom Cruise. I'm going to quit typing now and go jump on my couch. :)
M

Edit: And, much as I hate to admit it, old TC's better looking than I. ;)

Steel General
09-15-2010, 06:06 AM
All-in-all, pretty cool of her to do that... Even if it dubs you as the neighborhood uber-geek! :D

Ascension
09-15-2010, 04:56 PM
I want a t-shirt that says on the front "Ladies love my..." and on the back it says "uber-dork".

JoeyD473
09-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd buy one of those Ascension

Coyotemax
09-16-2010, 01:56 AM
Congrats on the interview and article. you almost slipped that past everyone when you first mentioned it, but some guildies pay closer attention than other people think :)