PDA

View Full Version : Belgariad/Mallorean Fan Project

Gidde
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Requested by a family member, this map is based on the Belgariad and Mallorean series by David (and Leigh) Eddings.

Most of the work was done in GIMP, but the ocean texture was almost exclusively done in Photoshop, and the heightmap was edited in Wilbur.

Special kudos to everyone who helped me improve greatly upon what I had thought was a nearly-finished product. THANKS!

A full res version is available in my Dropbox at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2913734/belgariadFullRes.jpg

As I own nothing about this map, feel free to use it in whatever capacity you like, providing that you respect the original authors'/artists' copyrights. (Read: feel free to print it and put it on your wall, use it in your game, etc. but don't claim it as your own or try to make money off of it.)

Sapiento
07-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Excellent!

bobslayer
07-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Thats really amazing! I love your mountains, and I'd love to know how you made them look so great lol.

Gidde
07-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks Sap!

And thanks to you, too, bobslayer! The mountains were actually a royal pain. I've been meaning to post up a mini-tut on them in hopes that some of the experts around here may be able to point out inefficiencies; I suppose I'll need to do that sooner than later :)

Steel General
07-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Your Aunt should be delighted!

Gidde
07-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks SG! I certainly hope so :)

sayosen
08-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Love the map... but I curse you, because now I must go back and read the book series... again! Seriously, a really nice map!

Avengeil
08-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Really nice. I always like maps that have the sea in darker colors.

synjon
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Awesome map! I remember reading both series years ago - loved them. A quick question if you don't mind.... you stated above that you were ok with folks using the map for personal use - would you by any chance have a version that isn't labeled? And if so, would you be willing to share it? I am going to be running a D&D-style campaign for my family, & I've been looking for a world map to set my campaign in. I would like it to be unlabeled to I can fill in countries, cities, etc. specific to my campaign. Your map would work wonderfully for my campaign concept. Thanks either way, and again, great job!

Sincerely,

Dave
email: synjon416--at--yahoo.com

cvtheoman
06-17-2012, 06:41 PM
i would also be interested in an unlabeled version of this map, or even better, the original heightmap. i'm trying to make a belgariad mod for medieval 2:total war. my email is my username at gmail.

Jaxilon
06-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Gidde, my wife said to give you her thanks as she has looked for a decent map of this and has not been able to find anything as good.

We've been listening to it on Audiobook together so I'm sure we will be checking this out from time to time.

domnic
06-21-2012, 12:46 PM
That's just stunning, Gidde. Love the style, it looks wonderfully fresh.

i would also be interested in an unlabeled version of this map, or even better, the original heightmap. i'm trying to make a belgariad mod for medieval 2:total war. my email is my username at gmail.

I think it was those beautifully neat campaign maps that got me into Total War in the first place - at any rate it's definitely what kept me there...

Gidde
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Well tell your wife she's welcome :) It's always been one of my favorite series. How's the narrator?

Thanks, domnic!

For those looking for unlabeled versions, unfortunately that's not going to be possible, as I have lost the original working files :(

Jaxilon
06-23-2012, 02:52 AM
He's one of the best we have listened to so give it a go.

Lyandra
06-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Very nice! I love the sea texture. :)

Gidde
06-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Thanks Lyandra! That sea was my favorite part of the piece and I can't recreate it no matter what I do, lol. Taught me a great lesson. While doing a total experiment like this sea was, document what you do!

Lyandra
06-25-2012, 08:03 AM
A pity! I so love this sea, if ever you manage to recreate it please share the technique! ;) It's too my favorite part of this particular map, it's so alive that when I look at it I can imagine swimming in it^^. The water seems crystal clear and the tiny waves are adorable, beautiful... Don't know what to call them, they are just so "wavy"! :P As if truly seen from above...

Gidde
06-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I certainly will!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

priggs
06-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Excellent map! I like your choice of colors. And I agree with others, your mountains look fantastic!

Gidde
06-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheElmer
05-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Beautiful Map, but you forgot the enormous mountain looming over the city of Kell in the Sounern Malorean continent

MARCVS PVLLO
06-21-2014, 03:19 AM
Love this map! Makes me want to pick up the books again

Gidde
10-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I've been trying to recreate this sea for two years. I recently got as close as I think I'm ever going to get, and this time I took good notes.

The attachment on the left is a piece of the original sea layer, and the attachment on the right is what I currently have.

Is it worth posting as a mini-tutorial?

//Edit: The last time I was here we didn't have these fancy linkbacks ... that movie trailer is WAY cool.