PDA

View Full Version : [Withdrawn] July Entry: Spire of Bone

Immolate
07-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Deep in the trackless recesses of the earth, far beneath the stench of the charnel houses; beyond the wanderings of man or his most wretched nightmares, lies in darkness a vast cavern. Fangs of stone thrust forth, top and bottom, as if the maw of some titantic God lay poised to snap shut upon any who dare intrude.

The still silence of the vastness is punctuated by the distant dripping of water against a stony surface. It has the quality of a pause after a sudden intake of breath... expectant. And yet nothing moves. Nothing lives here. There are no creatures in this deep and no plants to sustain them. It is a dead place where even death is unknown.

But there, near the center of the Stygian vault... a pale tower climbs past the extent of the neighboring columns of stone. Layer upon layer of chalky white ribs ascend, and from within this unlikely structure, a pale light seeps out. The light rises with the tower, and continues beyond, a sickly shaft of wan illumination, extending to the top of the cavern and beyond, slowly pulsating to the beat of some irregular clock.

Into this milieu, an unlikely visitor approaches. Layers of dust coat his rugged clothing and unkempt beard. He tilts back his head to take in the glowing spire of bone, and where any other might quake in fear, he smiles. As sounds of furtive skittering begin to echo from various places around him, echoes of movement in this place where nothing lives and nothing moves, his smile only broadens. For too long he has delved into the hide of the earth alone. He is filled with... anticipation.

Jaxilon
07-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Looks pretty interesting so far. I like that spire, it looks like a piece of "death art". I think you should consider rotating the skulls so the teeth are inward because in my opinion they would look more deathlike than the rounded portion. It sort of looks like 4 skeletons peeking into the picture at us right now.

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-10-2010, 12:13 PM
This is awesome! Far more interesting than boring old element locus...es. Locusi? Locuseeses. I like all these ISO maps--much better format for people who have real artistic talent.

Ascension
07-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Loci is the plural. Looks like a good start, bro.

Immolate
07-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Artistic talent not so much, but I am unafraid to make a fool of myself and willing to learn.

mmmmmpig
07-10-2010, 03:41 PM
So it is a nexus of death? I like it!

Immolate
07-10-2010, 04:50 PM
A concept familiar to pen-and-paper gamers... it is a nexus of negative energy, the thing that powers undeath. It is anti-life.

Steel General
07-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Interesting...

Immolate
07-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Okay, not much accomplished and it took a whole lot of time to accomplish it, but it turned out so well that I 'd put it out here for others to use on their projects in the future. Below are the frame and corner art in PNG format for your enjoyment.

I haven't done any fleshing out with the map yet, but I'm getting on it boss.

Ascension
07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Pretty nifty, man...and nice, too.

Gidde
07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Very cool, Immolate :)

tilt
07-12-2010, 06:10 AM
great idea... and VERY nice border... must agree with Jax though - teeth inwards on those skulls... don't know how many times I've told my minions that.. don't look to the sky - your necks are wide open for those pesky adventurers ;)

mmmmmpig
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
rotate the skulls (like everyone else said) and you have yourself a border

Immolate
07-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Lol you guys are relentless!

Skulls duely reversed to ward off pitchforks and torches.

Oh, PS, not as easy to do as you might have thought as the three parts long since ceased being separate, so I had to "extract" the skull, rotate it and then increase it in size by 10% to handle the gappage.

mmmmmpig
07-12-2010, 06:13 PM
When is stuff in PS easy? Looks better

Jaxilon
07-12-2010, 07:25 PM
yeppers, it's much scarier. Now if you wish to peer into the map you create one must put their head & neck through the teeth of dead skulls.....it's just freaky. Before they were more like sliding it through a few bowling balls :)

Crayons
07-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Now this is interesting! Do you always start by doing the border?
I'm looking forward to the meat on the plate! On or off the the bone!:)

Immolate
07-13-2010, 08:58 PM
If there is one thing consistent about my style it is that I'm not very consistent. I tend to start with the part of the piece that inspires me. When nothing inspires me, I start with that. In this case it was a textbook picture of a skull, complete with lower jaw and lots of lines and labels. There isn't much of the old picture in the final product but the lines and proportions are what caught my eye. So I started with that, removed the jaw, beat it to death with filters and threshold layers and image adjustments until I got the effect I wanted, then "overpainted" it (it being the skull, arm and spine) to give it some natural flow. Overpainting requires that you don't mask the border, just hand paint the thing. The countless tiny errors you introduce make the finished product much more appealing, even if it does take a long time to do. About five or six hours in this case. Don't ask how I got the particular effect on the bone... I couldn't possibly reproduce it. Then I just hit it with some basic colors and was satisfied.

I don't think I've ever started with the border before, though I have started with general layout, as in my "Rogue" magazine ad.

tilt
07-14-2010, 07:34 AM
looks much cooler now.. I believe my necromancer might just commision the local silversmith for working that into a mirror ;)

I believe Coyotemax has a habbit of beginning with the border - to set the mood for the map. But I like to begin with the map, to set the mood for the border :)

ravells
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Ohhhh shudder!!!! Scary stuff and great border!

Jaxilon
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Now you just add fangs and you have your vampire map border for next time as well

Immolate
07-24-2010, 12:55 PM
School (group project), work (new client), family (birthdays) and my new Droid X have pretty much stomped me flat. It isn't looking good for completing this project. I still have a few hours of school work left for this weekend and my wife is insisting on some quality time watching Despicable Me.

mmmmmpig
07-24-2010, 02:09 PM
sorry to hear. I weas looking forward to seeing this one complete

Jaxilon
07-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, we probably harassed you up so much on your super cool border that you didn't have time for the rest. I understand the family thing though, and that comes first. Still, it's a bummer....in fact, so much so that I couldn't stand it. Because we care bro, and because I felt bad, I took it upon myself to take what you had provided so far and created in your honor what I call a velvet rendition of your concept...so here it is....*goofy grin*

BEHOLD! The Velvet BONE!

PS. I am sure this is no place near where you were headed with this and if you feel I crossed a line you are absolutely free to delete this post. I just pulled some images off the net, slapped them down, blew paint at it and viola - what might have been....mmmm ok NOT! Hopefully you take this as a compliment of sorts, because I wouldn't play around with just anyones images. Oh, and btw, the border is really easy to use. Very slick.

PSS. For everyone's information I'm a good natured sort, fun loving person who tries to not take life too seriously because after all, it's too stinking serious already and who needs more of that?

ravells
07-24-2010, 03:54 PM
LOL, now that deserves some sort of award!

Crayons
07-24-2010, 04:08 PM
I know the problems you're having but I'm not having them right now - time just goes too fast! I'm doing the last of my border work now myself but I have a feeling it won't be as complete as I'd have liked! Ah well, the competion is about deadlines! I'll make it but... gotta go!

mmmmmpig
07-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah, sorry about that, we probably harassed you up so much on your super cool border that you didn't have time for the rest. I understand the family thing though, and that comes first. Still, it's a bummer....in fact, so much so that I couldn't stand it. Because we care bro, and because I felt bad, I took it upon myself to take what you had provided so far and created in your honor what I call a velvet rendition of your concept...so here it is....*goofy grin*

BEHOLD! The Velve BONE!

PS. I am sure this is no place near where you were headed with this and if you feel I crossed a line you are absolutely free to delete this post. I just pulled some images off the net, slapped them down, blew paint at it and viola - what might have been....mmmm ok NOT! Hopefully you take this as a compliment of sorts, because I wouldn't play around with just anyones images. Oh, and btw, the border is really easy to use. Very slick.

PSS. For everyone's information I'm a good natured sort, fun loving person who tries to not take life too seriously because after all, it's too stinking serious already and who needs more of that?

It needs a staircase, duh

love it

Immolate
07-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Good stuff guys :)

Condor Rider
04-21-2014, 03:18 AM
Hello Immolate,
I came across your awesome bone map frame art while doing a Google Image Search for a picture frame composed of bones. I'm posting a series of photos of my pet vulture on Pinterest, and I would like to use your artwork around the borders. If you would like, I can give you illustration credit and/or a link to your site, although I'm not sure I have the skillset to make it an active link. Here is my website: Artifact Graphics Home (http://www.ArtifactGraphics.com), and photos of my vulture are on the associated facebook pages, in case any of this helps you with your decision. I am eager to hear if I may use your artwork. Just let me know what you want the accreditation to read. Thank you.

Condor Rider
04-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Me again. I'm new to DA as well as to Cartographer's Guild, so forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. I just wanted you to know I wasn't a spammer trying to get you to look at my website. I really do want to use your awesome bone frame on my Pinterest posts about my vulture. Here is a link to the Pinterest page, Gus the Vulture on Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/drartifact/gus-the-vulture/) and I'm also going to see if I can attach a photo of the bird here. I would like to give you credit for your work, if you would be so kind as to grant permission to use your artwork. Thank you.63398