PDA

View Full Version : [Rite Publishing] Fantastic Maps: The Temple Mound

Qwilion
07-12-2010, 01:30 AM
http://www.rpgnow.com/images/2373/82271.jpg

Fantastic Maps: The Temple Mound

Jonathan Roberts cartographer for Kobold Quarterly, Frozen Empires, and Adventures in the Hyborian Age, presents another Fantastic Map: "The Temple Mound (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=82271&affiliate_id=203141&src=RitePubbanner&)”.

This multi-page PDF allows you to print out both battlemaps (above and below ground) at a 1 square=1 inch scale as a letter-format map and is also available in a printer-friendly light grayscale version. High-Resolution Jpegs of the Maps with and without grids. The file also contains two maptool campaign files set up for quick use in the 4.0 version of the world's most popular roleplaying game and its 3.5 thriving spiritual successor. The Maptool file requires Maptool 1.3b60 or newer to work.

tilt
07-12-2010, 10:30 AM
hmmm... well, we all now Jonathans great work - but I tried to click the link - and after reloading the page actually loaded - although slowly - the preview function didn't work though - whatever happended to good old jpg previews ;) ... so basicly I only have the very non-descriptive cover to go from. So even knowing Jonathans work - I would like to see more before buying :)

torstan
07-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the note Tilt, I'll get on to getting that updated.

torstan
07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Here's a preview of the maps. The ones in the map pack are without labels or text:

tilt
07-18-2010, 03:43 AM
cool... so the is the shadow of the tree representing the tree - or is it some mysterious magic at play... shadow of a time past :)

Ascension
07-18-2010, 08:45 AM
It's a spooky tree.

torstan
07-18-2010, 10:13 AM
For maps with trees I tend to just place the trunk in the map. If you put the canopy in then it looks odd when you have tokens on the map as it looks like they're standing on the tree. Also, the trunk is important for line of sight and cover, but the canopy tends not to be. And you're right. It is a very spooky tree.

jfrazierjr
07-19-2010, 10:26 AM
For maps with trees I tend to just place the trunk in the map. If you put the canopy in then it looks odd when you have tokens on the map as it looks like they're standing on the tree. Also, the trunk is important for line of sight and cover, but the canopy tends not to be. And you're right. It is a very spooky tree.

Hmm.. for the MapTools maps, have you ever thought about creating the canopies as png's that can be shown/hidden as needed? Cools stuff btw!!!

torstan
07-19-2010, 10:32 AM
Yep, I have. It tends to slow down play as the DM spends time fiddling with objects to make them look correct for tokens that are visible and not visible - and then a player inevitably says - there's an enemy over there! - because the DM has left a canopy off because there's an enemy token under the tree. It's more hassle than it's worth.

I thought about doing semi-transparent canopies for a while, though that still looks a little odd with the tokens on top of them. What maptools really needs is layers...

jfrazierjr
07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep, I have. It tends to slow down play as the DM spends time fiddling with objects to make them look correct for tokens that are visible and not visible - and then a player inevitably says - there's an enemy over there! - because the DM has left a canopy off because there's an enemy token under the tree. It's more hassle than it's worth.

I thought about doing semi-transparent canopies for a while, though that still looks a little odd with the tokens on top of them. What maptools really needs is layers...

I guess I was more thinking of it as perhaps having multiple canopies on a single png and just turn on/off the whole object... For me, it would be more a matter of having them "on" during the initial approach for the ascetic values and then turn them off when it's time for actual encounters or close up movement....

So.. for example is to put all the canopy stuff on their own layers/layer groups and then export only those layers as a png and move it into place over top once you import the map itself.

torstan
07-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Yep, that might work. I'll have a fiddle with it and see.