PDA

View Full Version : Who is planning on being at the CG Gallery Showing?

Redstar
07-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Since I live in NYC I was wondering who else was planning on being at the upcoming CG gallery showing being put together? The opening is this Friday (7/16), but the reception is listed as the following Wednesday (7/21). I think it would be great to meet some of the other artist in the show, so I was just wondering when folks were thinking of attending?

I guess the options are opening night, or at the reception?

torstan
07-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Well I'll be at both - though I'll really only drop in on the Friday to check everything is working fine. I'll be there all evening on the Wednesday though.

On Friday it's normal opening hours, 12-6, so it's not really an opening 'evening' as such.

tilt
07-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I'd love to be there - but unfortunatly its a bit far to travel for me... but I do hope that you guy will take lots of pictures :)

mearrin69
07-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Wish I could make it. Normally I'd take any excuse for a trip to NYC but, much as I'd like to go, I can't justify it for just the gallery show :( Looking forward to a report from those that attend, however. Hopefully the audience digs it...there are certainly some works of art on display.
M

Redstar
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
@Torstan - Thanks for the heads up. I was going to email you to ask, but I figured you were already dealing with a thousand other things :)

Well, the reception seems like the best time (as its open till 9PM). See you guys then!

torstan
07-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Yep - I'm getting one or two emails right now :) I'll see you next Wednesday.

Steel General
07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Would love to be there...but it ain't gonna happen :(

loongtim
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Unfortunately, I'm going to miss it by just a couple of weeks. I'll be in NYC in August - maybe it will be so popular that they'll have no choice but to extend the show until I arrive:).

JoeyD473
07-12-2010, 11:33 PM
Since I live in NYC I was planning on going, but I'm not sure when. The only reason i wouldn't go to teh reception is I live in flushing, and the bus from main st. to my house is basically non existent after 10pm. BTW: has the web site put the event on the calendar?

Gidde
07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
It has indeed, I checked it yesterday :)

RobA
07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Wish I could be there!

-Rob A>

Gidde
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
"If only, if only, the woodpecker sighs ..."

Unfortunately I can't afford to take a trip to the big apple either, but I'll be there in spirit! I'll add my voice to the requests for those who are there to take lots of pics for the rest of us :)

Ascension
07-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Way too much work going on for me to take off in the middle of the week (but that's a good thing cuz it means income) plus I have another vacation coming up in September (2 in one year is also a good thing cuz it means cashflow has been good after only having 1 vaycay in 12 years). If I did go I'd be the guy in sandals, Tommy Bahama shirt, and Cardinals hat. So if anybody sees a guy like that tell him he's stealing my look and I want it back :)

Coyotemax
07-14-2010, 02:25 AM
I would totally love to go, but work is about to make me go back :(

Gamerprinter
07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
The local newspaper says I'm going, but maybe the next show, not this first one. I got my local newspaper to write an article about this event and it was published today!

I know, I'm trying to make this about "me"! :P

GP

tilt
07-15-2010, 02:28 PM
cool.. nice to have one newspaper in ones grasp ... iron grasp ;)

JoeyD473
07-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Titanium grasps are better

mearrin69
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Adamantium grasps are even better than that...

So. Where's our report? Who's at the show? Twitter this stuff or something already. :) Just kidding...but looking forward to hearing about it.
M

Gamerprinter
07-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Whoops! I forgot to post the link to the article, sorry about that - I just noticed!

GP

http://www.mywebtimes.com/archives/ottawa/display.php?id=408768

mearrin69
07-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Hey, GP, that's great!
M

torstan
07-16-2010, 08:08 PM
So it's up and working well. We had a few glitches at the start, but all going smoothly now. We even had a local game blogger drop in and take some pics - so you'll be seeing this pick up around the web!

Gidde
07-16-2010, 08:09 PM
That's awesome! Sorry to hear about the glitches, you must have had a busy day!

torstan
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
A little frantic - turns out that the screen software needed to be in a specific format, but that particular format was hard to track down. Reformatting over an hour of video clips to get it working took a bit of time (and the loan of one of the better department computers!). All good now.

So here, as promised, are a couple of photos!

27155 27157

Coyotemax
07-17-2010, 12:55 AM
*applause*
That's looking like a darn fine showing so far, i really do wish I could be there..

Jaxilon
07-17-2010, 01:33 AM
I agree with Coyotemax - way coolness!

mmmmmpig
07-17-2010, 01:40 AM
This is the coolest. Torstan, I definitely owe you for really putting this stuff together

Ascension
07-17-2010, 01:42 AM
Yeah, even if none of us sell anything we should buy him a drink.

mearrin69
07-17-2010, 02:53 AM
I definitely owe him a drink or two if I ever get to NYC...or if he ever comes to Portland.
M

Gamerprinter
07-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Ah, I just discovered that John Fiore of World vs. Hero was someone I had been talking to about the show on RPGnet, he just linked me the same article as above. He told me on that thread, he and his wife attend me shows and museums, but for the first time, he was the insider on the art scene at hand. I asked if he'd planned to write something to check it out the first day - to get the word out sooner (especially if he liked the show.)

I wonder if any print sales were made?

GP

Jaxilon
07-17-2010, 05:31 AM
Hopefully they had some samples of what the printed maps would look like so folks could see the quality of what they would be getting.

Steel General
07-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Neat stuff...

Redrobes
07-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey Torstan those pics are great. Well done for all the work you put into this. Got a little shot of my poster there... awwww

But look on the left panel full of text !??!!. I was asked a few questions about my maps and stuff to get some quotes - the blurb. One question I was asked was this:

"Are you inspired by old maps? Which/why?"

Here is my response...
"Definitely. The ones of our earth made before satellites and aircraft are intriguing. The techniques to map areas that you cant see in one view are interesting. The stories of people carrying 18 feet glass rods across the heaths and looking at Jupiters moons to get accurate maps are worth looking into."

Here is the quote attributed to me...
"I heard a story once about cartographers trekking into the countryside with 18 foot glass rods so that they could look at Jupiters moons and map them - I'm not sure what they were doing exactly, but it's so intriguing."

Err... No !... What ?.... Mapping Jupiter's moons ?!!?! Now I feel sorry for those famous people who have to give sound-bites to promote their work.

Oh well. Anyway - really great to be part of it and hope it goes well and is a financial success for the gallery as well. It would be interesting to know how many maps sell from a gallery show like this. If it works out and everyone is happy then we could do this now and again - like annually. And we can keep it in the back of our minds when making a map that there might be a possibility of showing it so we could do non CC-NC ones high res every so often.

Gidde
07-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Err... No !... What ?.... Mapping Jupiter's moons ?!!?! Now I feel sorry for those famous people who have to give sound-bites to promote their work.

Bet you didn't know that was Rita Skeeter in disguise ;)

Redrobes
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
It was when my cursor turned into a floating quill that I had a suspicion something was going on...

Ascension
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh dear lord, I wrote a really long-winded reply (go figure, I'm always long-winded) for that blurb thingy. I can only imagine what's going to show up. I think I just made myself look like a huge dumbass. Oh well, vive la difference.

mearrin69
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh dear...I wonder what my Q&A will say? I can't believe they changed your quote to that degree. LOL. For the record, here's what I gave:

> Do you remember looking at fantasy maps as a child?
Fantasy maps came later. I was always drawn to diagrams of any sort, really, whether it was Billy's footprints around the neighborhood in the Family Circus comic strip or the anatomy picture in the World Book encyclopedia I had. I used to spend a lot of times looking at my grandfather's world atlas, imagining what those places were like.

> What was your most significant memory/significant map?
Definitely the map of Middle Earth in Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.

> Why did you start drawing fantasy maps (I'm looking for inspiration here not
> "because my friend asked me to" - unless it's a funny story...)

I got interested in Dungeons and Dragons when I was 11 or so and started drawing maps for that. They were mostly just ink and colored pencil on graph paper. A couple of years later I had gotten some nib pens with calligraphy tips and decided to do a full-sized copy of the Tolkien map. My grandfather was a printer so I had access to some pretty large sheets of paper, even some that resembled parchment. It was a natural fit...and the map turned out pretty well, even though I was only about 13 at the time.

> What do you think about when you start drawing a map - geography? art?
> mechanics? colour palette? the story?

I'd say story. The fantasy/sci-fi maps I've made have usually had a purpose so their design has to reflect that. Sometimes I get interested in a particular shape or palette or style and I'll work that in but the main driver is usually story.

> What's your favourite kind of map to draw?
City maps. There are so many ways to do them and so many opportunities to create detail at all levels of the map, from the overall design and the way the city interacts with the surrounding terrain to the details of some particular back alley.

> Are you inspired by old maps? Which/why?
Definitely, although I'm not sure I'd ever try to emulate the styles in anything I do. I love looking at old maps, though.

Sapiento
07-17-2010, 03:11 PM
A little frantic - turns out that the screen software needed to be in a specific format, but that particular format was hard to track down. Reformatting over an hour of video clips to get it working took a bit of time (and the loan of one of the better department computers!). All good now.

So here, as promised, are a couple of photos!

That's simply great!

torstan
07-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh no! I'll take a look through those to make sure no one comes out badly. I can see why that quote caused confusion - as 'looking at Jupiters moons to get accurate maps' does sound like you're talking about mapping Jupiter's moons. I'll fix it to make sure it carries your actual meaning. Sorry that one slipped through.

Othewise things are good. We've had some requests for prints from people who don't live in NY but know some of the maps in the show. I'm looking into that with the gallery to see whether they're able to do their limited edition prints and mail them. I don't see a problem directly, but I'll post more when we know if it's possible.

Gidde
07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Haha, mine were all very short and sweet, hopefully they don't change too much :)

Jaxilon
07-19-2010, 02:46 AM
Makes a case for talking crazy so they can't make any sense of what you are saying that way it doesn't really matter what they quote you just seem eccentric and odd - people love that in artists. Hehe.

torstan
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Fixed and the other quotes checked. If there are any problems fro now on please contact me directly as I'll get it sooner.

Redstar
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
This looks awesome torstan -- I think you did an amazing job getting this together. I definitely owe you a drink on Wednesday :) Speaking of which, is it ok to bring drinks to the reception? One of my quotes was displayed too, although it didn't look that butchered.

ravells
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Great Stuff, Torstan! Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond on the quotes thing but I've been away travelling.

torstan
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Not a problem at all. On Thursday it turned out we had 2 more screens than we'd been told so we mustered the creative talents of all the contributing artists for some mapping quotes - and I have to say the response rate did the guild proud.

As for bringing drinks - I'm pretty sure the gallery is laying on wine so there's no need to bring your own.

Jaxilon
07-19-2010, 05:56 PM
I told you wine was what we were supposed to drink :)

Redstar
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Report from the gallery: It's amazing!

torstan
07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Good to meet you last night. The show went really well with a strong showing from some local D&D groups who saw the announcement on ENWorld. I'll throw some photos up later today.