PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Map a Playing Field

rdanhenry
07-13-2010, 12:52 AM
With all the recent World Cup excitement, I had a thought. How about a challenge to map a playing field? Could be for an athletic game, or maybe an oversized chessboard type thing. I suppose even a simple gladiatorial pit would qualify. Could be a simple variant on an existing game or something wildly original. Coming up with the game to be played on it would be a good exercise for all world-builders. Sports and games often get overlooked, but they're an important part of designing a culture.

Ascension
07-13-2010, 08:40 AM
In a game that I used to play called Dragonrealms we had a completely made up game called Togball which was sort of like American football. The Gor 'Togs would chop off heads and use them as a ball. Lots of fun. So I back this idea especially the fictional aspects of the game itself.

ravells
07-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I voted against thinking that there wasn't much mileage in mapping football pitches and basketball courts, but if we had a competition where the field was for some imagined game with a brief set of rules attached that would be fun!

Steel General
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
I agree with Ravs - it would have to be for some imagined or fantastical game - Ascension's Tog Ball example is good. Or something on the otder of the Archon-esque game I used in one of my temple maps a while ago.

NeonKnight
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh, I don;t know. I play a lot of Bloodbowl, but it would be cool to see maps of 'stadiums'

While the pitch would be identical in game terms (i.e. identical X by Y squares), it would be cool to see each pitch made based on Khemri (Egyptian Undead Theme), versus a Norse field, versus Orc, versus Lizardman (Based on Aztecs) etc.

Aval Penworth
07-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Someone posted a 'dungeon ball' map a little while back, it was kinda cool. So I say go for it.

edit: I found the post here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?10282-Dungeon-Ball-Arena&highlight=dungeon+ball)...looks like it didn't get much support though:sad:. He never posted again.

Steel General
07-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Oh, I don;t know. I play a lot of Bloodbowl, but it would be cool to see maps of 'stadiums'

Good point, I did consider blood bowl as a possibility, but didn't consider the entire stadium itself.