PDA

View Full Version : The Temple of Guinness (dnd 4e)

Scorpius
07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
The goal of this thread, will to make a series of 24 x 30 square encounter maps, to be used as reference by the DM. I want to keep consistency between sessions that will be weeks apart. The size is set to match the dimensions of the Paizo flip-mat

The temple of Guinness is a three tiered, aztec-pyramid style dungeon. Its purpose is to hold the demi-god Guinness in a point of stasis, until the appointed time, where the adventurers destined to do so, discover it, and free him. There is only one door in and out, and thats on the first level. There are no windows or hatches. It has however been established that it could be possible (while very difficult) to blow a hole in an outside wall, making your own entrance and exit.

The first level was originally built to house the order of dwarves who finished the temple. Later generations served as protectors until they were wiped out by a group of demons, who were then eliminated by a group of devils, who were driven out by 2nd group of devils who left on their own. Used by local beasts and semi intelligent creatures, then finally settled by a tribe of Yuan-ti. This layer should be the largest, will need three battlemaps and at least 4 rooms. Ideas for features include rubble, desecrated statues, and pools of poison. Theres 40 ft between the floor of level 1 and level 2.

Connected by spiral staircase is the second layer. This layer is a crypt, specifically designed as an obstacle to the top layer. The first area houses an undead beholder and possibly some wraiths. I think it will have high ceiling and alcoves to block LoS. The second layers is all about a trap. Either a full solo trap or a trap with minions. Not finished yet. The third area is filled with intelligent undead dwarf guardians. Soldiers and artillery, with terrain in their favor. This room will have circles of power. Stairs at the end go up. Theres 30 ft between the floor of level 2 and level 3.

Level 3 is mostly the final room. The entire floor is something like 20 x 20 squares.

Based on the dimensions of the 3rd floor, I'm planning the 2nd floor for around 26 x 26 squares. The 1st floor will be between 32 x 32 and 40 x 40. Im thinking 34 x 34.

torstan
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Sounds like fun. I'm amused that the god is named after a well known tipple - but the aztec pyramid temple structure is very strong. Any chance of some rough sketches? Will these be for print outs for use at the gametable, or for online play?

Scorpius
07-17-2010, 08:16 PM
The battlemaps themselves will be primarily for my own reference. We use a Paizo flip map at the game table, which is where the dimensions came from.

My original drawn concept was painful to my eyes and an abomination to god, so I destroyed it. I'll have something up soon made with the magic of computers.

The god was named by the player whose character helped sire him in our first campaign. He is the demi-god of chaos. Or rather was, and may soon be again.

torstan
07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Sounds good. I'll definitely try to keep an eye out for the sketches.

Scorpius
07-17-2010, 10:10 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/ScorpiusRisk/DnD/TempleofGuiness.png

So thats a rough idea. The dimensions of course do not match up to what I stated above, but its a sketch and math is hard. That circle of fires should really be about half that size. I failed to mention earlier that the top floor also has an airship built into it, that will later break away. Hence the ring of fire and the little bit of prow in the image.

torstan
07-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Okay - looks good. Where is the god locked away?

Scorpius
07-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Top floor. The most important room and the hardest to get to, since the one door is on the bottom.

Scorpius
07-17-2010, 11:41 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/ScorpiusRisk/DnD/Temple3-1.png

Rough of the top floor. The half circle is where Guinness is held, chained and held to the wall by steel and stone bands, his mind in a state of hibernation. Once he's freed, the wall behind him breaks away, revealing the way into tho the airship, which is the large, grey, unmapped area.

Red stuff is where the circle of flame, cuts through the ceiling.

torstan
07-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Very nice. What's the encounter going to be in this room? I'm asking because it affects hhow much space you want to give the combatants. You said a trap or complex skill challenge?

Scorpius
07-18-2010, 10:45 AM
This room is a fight. The big, dungeon ending fight. Theres an exarch that appears, along with some help as soon as any pc gets within 5 of Guinness.

The Exarch is an elite melee controller, reach 2-4 depending on the attack. Two skirmisher angels (fly bys). Six traditional soldiers.

torstan
07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
So it looks to me like those side areas might not get used - unless it's by your skirmisher angels. Can the Exarch handle toe to toe combat - because it looks like he'll be standing right in front of your chained god trying to keep the fighter away. With a reach of 4, he could use a bit more space than this room gives him perhaps?

Scorpius
07-18-2010, 12:08 PM
The party consists of a Feylock, an Earth Warden, a melee warlord, a ranged cleric, a fighter and a druid who moves in and out of melee. The Feylock will use the side areas and the cleric may as well, which should then split some of the enemies which should then split some of the other party members.

The Exarch is built for toe to toe combat. His main reach 4 attack pulls people in.

torstan
07-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Okay, that sounds good. You might want to throw in some pillars for cover, or some difficult terrain, but otherwise that looks good.

For the actual mapping - what graphics program will you be using?

Scorpius
07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
I started with this map, over the other ones for two reasons. The part has had a sneak peak of this area already. The layout has been established and a taste of combat has occurred on it. The other reason is that it is the simplest, when it comes to traps, hazards and terrain. Its all about the combat.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/ScorpiusRisk/DnD/Level3NoLight.png
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/ScorpiusRisk/DnD/Level3WithLight.png

torstan
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
So what are the red and orange circles?

Scorpius
07-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Yeah, had to cut that last post short.

The red circles are where the circle of flame is present near the ceiling. The orange circles are magical torches. The large circles represent where the light falls from each source.

torstan
07-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd suggest pulling those back a bit. At the moment those orange semi-circles are very dominant. Perhaps a light yellow set to soft light with another layer in very light yellow as the edge of the torchlit area. That should show all the different torch areas without getting in the way of other information.

As this is the top level, it would seem sensible to remove all the flagstones that are outside the outer wall?

Scorpius
07-18-2010, 09:44 PM
The flagstones outside the wall, serve as the roof of the second level. While in theory, I should have no need of them, I actually already did. Thats how the party got that taste of combat here already. Instead of going through the main entrance in the last session, they flew to the top and blew a hole in the wall. They got thoroughly trashed by the exarch and his allies. One PC and one NPC even died.

They've decided to go back and start at the main entrance.

Yeah, I was unhappy with the light. It was a little double rainbow. Ill play with it.

torstan
07-18-2010, 09:55 PM
Perhaps just lighten it up and give it a sharper edge? For the flagstones outside I'd make them lighter to show that they're outside. That should give a nice visual cue as to what's going on.

Scorpius
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h265/ScorpiusRisk/DnD/Level3Light02.png

Did some more work on the top level. I think I'll jump down to the first floor now. This was all done in gimp, so when I run it, i'll be looking at the image with removable layers and drawing it on the Paizo flip map. Final dimensions were 18 x 20 or 90 ft by 100 ft.

You can see the bottom layer of the ship there, down now just in case. The front bottom opens up like a space ship. Theres a mast in the bottom two layers but not on top, because it wasn't originally an airship.

New torches and lightened outside. Very minimal detail work on the chained god. If anyone wants this, I use a template to get the original grid, to make sure I'm working in the dimensions I need for the map. There's a hidden layer that numbers the gird for pbp play.

torstan
07-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Looks good. The one thing I'd make sure to include at this point is a gradient on the stairs to show which way they go. So in this case a black -> transparent gradient starting at the bottom of the stairs going up should do the trick.

If you're willing for others to use it, then you can CC license it. If you follow the link in my sig you'll find a website with more information about open use licenses.

Like the outdoor lighing and the new torches. Good stuff!

Scorpius
07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Here's a rough of the 1st Level.

I was going to break this up into three separate battle maps, but since I can fit more than half on on one flip-mat there was allot of overlap. I'm just going to make one map and try to use my best judgement at the gametable on what to draw when.

1. Front door, foyer. Two secret doors that run back to the murder holes and to the treasury (4). The northern secret door has been blocked by rubble, well know to the Yuan-ti. The other is open, if found.

For my game: The Yuan-ti know the party is coming, but don't know when. They'll be a lookout at one of the murder holes who will fallback to warn those at rooms 3 and 4. They won't attack from there unless the party rests there. Party could use it as their own ambush spot if clever.

2. Open area. Once used for training, trade, and other general purposes. Now, filled with broken crates, loose flagstones, and bits of stone rubble. Door to 3 is locked.

3. Temple. Two temples have been half destroyed. One to Bane still standing. Yuan-ti have carved the image of a giant snake on the wall behind the altar. Some kind of area effect. Many broken, some not broken, stone benches.

4. Once an armory, now a treasury. Spiral staircase going up. Secret side treasury.

5. Guard rooms (not in use)

6. Murder holes linking to secret tunnels.

7. Bedrooms. Area will be used for an encounter. Two large soldiers, three medium artillery. If Party does not get surrounded they can try to use the side passage to force the soldiers to squeeze. Artillery dart in and out of rooms.

8. Old master bedroom.

9. Old dining area.

10. Old kitchen, with secret passage.

11. Once workshops and training areas. Now used for experiments, sometimes for prisoners. Pools of acid, rubble, maybe a pit.

Scorpius
07-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Here's a new rough. Walls in place for level 1. Need to add doors, torches, lighting, outside grass and mountains, and some hazards.

I like the mix of symmetry with asymmetry, and the geometric shapes some of which unintentionally remind me of keys.

RobA
07-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Looking good!

You might want to find a wall fill pattern with a bit less repetition to it.

-Rob A>

Scorpius
07-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Thats a good point. Another though I had this morning, is that I don't think I'll put doors in all the places that doors are meant to be. The dwarves haven't been here for 800-ish years. The other occupants weren't the preserving sort.