PDA

View Full Version : My First Attempt

Surveyor
07-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi, This is my first attempt at a map. The map is entirely fictional made with Gimp and InkScape.
Although this is a very basic map, I found it very difficult and this is the result of about 30 hours of work.
I would welcome criticism and in particular I have some questions that may well be answered somewhere else on this forum , but I have not yet found the answers to.
Is there a standard colour chart for elevation and features.
Is there a font for mapping symbols.
Is there some easy way to shade mountains (my attempt here is a filter/render/noise adaptation, not very scientific)
Is there a tutorial on how to to calculate scales on projections on maps

Cheers Surveyor

hohum
07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice map Surveyor. I don't know if there is a standard per se, but you could use a GIMP gradient from here (http://soliton.vm.bytemark.co.uk/pub/cpt-city/totp-ggr.html).

I'm not sure about the mapping symbols right now.

Try the Swiss cartography tutorial here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?9703-Swiss-Cartography-Terrain-PDF), there may be another on the guild that didn't come up right away.

If you figure out something about calculating scale let me know. I still can't figure it out.

Ascension
07-19-2010, 04:31 PM
There are at least a dozen official color schemes that I know of but I don't use any of them (I make up my own that are close enough). In the Resources section RobA made a post about a year and a half back, maybe 2, about gradients and there are some links to the gradients/color scheme websites. I got a bunch from there. The symbol fonts I've never found so I would just scan them in from a Rand-McNally roadmap atlas. I never got around to doing it myself but if I ever do then I'll put em up for sure, but don't hold your breath cuz I don't do that style very often. There is a website somewhere out there with the symbols in .ai format for Illustrator but I don't know if they'll work in Inkscape. For mountains the technique is called shaded-relief and the easiest way to simulate the look is with a soft bevel. No idea about the scale thing, sorry.