PDA

View Full Version : Admiria - My First "Real" Mapping Endeavor

Gallifreyan
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey everyone! This is my first serious attempt at a map. I first got the idea of the continent's shape a few years ago. After a lot of morphing (with intermediate forms) it turned into this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26503&d=1277954363). After some fiddling I decided that I do not want two continents, so I morphed the two contents together and came up with this:

The working title of the continent is Admiria. Do you like it or do think I should change it?

I will post updates every time a major feature is added so that I can have your input. I will post again once I randomized the coastline. Tips, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome and very much appreciated.

-Gallifreyan

Gallifreyan
07-20-2010, 12:27 AM
I made the coastlines more realistic with Old Guy's Tutorial, afterwords I ran an edge detect, and then I cleaned up the coast a little bit.

I am going to do mountains next. I would like to thank Gidde for the tutorial on how to do hand-drawn map for artistically challenged people (like me).

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
looks like a good start - like the shape.. concerning the name well "Admire" is rather close to "Admiria" so you risk people thinking that :)

Ascension
07-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Purely a personal choice here, but I might either take out the D or the M - Amiria or Adiria - or rearrange the letters - Armidia, Damiria, Madiria. When I come up with names that's how I do it...put some letters together and then test it out by saying it out loud to see if it sounds good. Admiria sounds good but has the flaw that Tilt mentioned. Maybe change the M to an N, lots of options but you're the only one who can decide.

Gallifreyan
07-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks for your input.

I have been think for a new name and came up with "Aiperia". I got it from the Greek word "ipeiros", which means "continent".

Ascension
07-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Looks catchy.

Gallifreyan
07-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I added some (not all) of my mountains and put "rings" around my coast. I snagged the mountain brushes from deviantArt (http://pickebu.deviantart.com/art/Old-Map-Brush-Set-64151770?q=boost:popular+map+brush&qo=0). And I would like to thank hohum and Juggernaut1981 for their help on how to do the "ring" effect on my coastline.

Here is my latest WIP of my map of "Aiperia".

Coyotemax
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Looking pretty nice so far. And the mountains you chose suit the style so far. Nice!

LordJR
07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Enjoying the progression of this one so far.

Gallifreyan
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
The mountain placement seemed a little bit odd to me so I have been fiddling around with the map (mainly trying to figure out the tectonic plates and looking at it from different angles). While experimenting on the map I flipped it around and decided that I like it. Since the last update I flipped the land and placed a mountain range.

Sorry that it has been awhile since my last update, I did not have much free time the last two weeks. But hopefully I will have some next week.

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
08-05-2010, 06:06 AM
I don't know how you'd do this except by hand but the curvy, calligraphic lines of the mountains don't match the solid pixellated line of the coast...a calligraphic line has thin and thick parts and smooth curves while your coastline is one width. If you have the time you can make them match but if you don't have the time then so be it, it's not that bad, just something my eye catches.

Gallifreyan
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
If I understand correctly, I have redo my coast? I made my current coast by stroking the selection back when the land was white and ocean was black. Any tips on making calligraphic lines for my coast? Or do you think that I should use a different brush for the mountains?

Also, while editing my mountains I realized that the shading was different at some parts, I'll fix that now.

Ascension
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
If you have a tablet then you can use that instead of using a real calligraphy pen...make a new layer and just trace around the coast varying the pressure to get thick and thin parts on the line. Of course, if you don't have a tablet then just leave it because otherwise you could spend days zooming in real close and using a small eraser to erase bits of the lines. Or if someone has time they can do it for ya then post it back up.

Gallifreyan
08-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately, I do not have a tablet. Do think that bolding the coast more would help? I could easily do that and then "file" away at some parts with the eraser tool. That would still take some time but I think it would be shorter than redoing the coast.

Ascension
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
A fatter coastline would help or you could use this quickie coastline I drew for ya.

Gallifreyan
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow, thanks Ascension! It looks marvelous! I really like the "inky" feel to it.

Gallifreyan
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Here is the latest update: I used the coast that Ascension made (thanks Ascension), changed the mountains so that the shading was in the proper direction, and added some mountains and hills. I also put a the texture that I intend to use (later it will have a slightly different color though) and some weathering. I made the texture by playing around with filters.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

edit: I got the splatter and coffee ring brushes from deviantART.