PDA

View Full Version : quick simpe photoshop question

the931stsoldier
07-20-2010, 01:25 AM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i can move my image on top of the old paper texture onto my image and make it look like the landmasses were drawn on top of it? i tried moving the layers but when i move the old texture on my image its 600X400 and i dont know how to stretch it to fit my image

Midgardsormr
07-20-2010, 01:49 AM
You don't want to stretch anything if you can help it—it seldom looks good, but if you do want to resize a layer, select it, then go to Edit > Free Transform (Ctrl+T). When you mouse over the little box at one of the corners of the layer, you'll get a diagonal double arrow icon; that indicates that you can resize in both dimensions. Hold down shift to restrain the shape so it doesn't distort. Alternately, you can enter exact values in the tool settings bar.

Once you've got your lines over the paper, play with the blend modes a bit. If you've got black or dark grey lines, I recommend using the multiply blend mode; it usually does a great job of making the lines look like they're drawn on the paper instead of having been placed above it.

If you decide you need a larger paper texture, do a search in the tutorials forum—I seem to recall that there are a number of good tutorials on creating distressed paper and parchment.

Juggernaut1981
07-20-2010, 02:13 AM
Just as an addition to that (BTW nice paper texture by the looks of it)...

If you want a small amount of "ink bleed" then I would suggest you create two extra layers. Duplicate the "Map" layer, then Gaussian blur it by about 5-10px depending on scale of the image and the amount of bleed you want the ink to give. Create a new layer and fill it with solid cloud noise (at the highest detail settings), set it to maybe and overlay or a "lighten only" (ask the Photoshop guys a but more about this) then merge them and set the new ink-bleed layer to maybe 75% opacity. It should let the original line strongly come through but also include some slightly randomised ink-bleeding type edges.

RobA
07-20-2010, 11:22 PM
You should either find a lager stock image, or create one from scratch. Here is a tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?533-Tutorial-Creating-old-weathered-paper-using-the-Gimp) that transfers well to photoshop (or so I've been told).

-Rob A>

the931stsoldier
07-21-2010, 03:34 AM
ok here it is what do y'all think

the931stsoldier
07-21-2010, 04:13 AM
ok here it is is it good how can i improve this

ravells
07-21-2010, 04:22 AM
From the point of view of putting the map against a textured background you've succeeded. In terms of improving it, what sort of style are you ultimately looking for?

the931stsoldier
07-21-2010, 04:31 AM
ok now ive been messing around and i made myself some borders that i plan to apply to my map ans i was wondering how i can get the colors like transparent or just on the outline sorta like this

the931stsoldier
07-21-2010, 04:41 AM
the great borders

the931stsoldier
07-21-2010, 04:43 AM
this is how want it eventually with gthe borders colored in

Juggernaut1981
07-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Okay... then you're looking at a hand-drawn style. Particularly look at finished maps in Hand-drawn styles, including the Tolkein-styles. I would recommend you look heavily into Ramah's techniques. To get these things to look right, you will spend time doing this.

If you don't have a tablet, then you're looking to do this bit by bit with a complete set of coherent brushes. Building those brushes will take time hand-drawing them and then poking around the tutorials section for advice on converting images into GIMP Brushes or PS Brushes.

Short summary: Become one with the Tutorials and Mapping Elements sections.

Ascension
07-21-2010, 07:36 AM
For transparent colors, like in the nation borders on an atlas map or antique map, you just turn down the opacity or the fill or change the blend mode.