PDA

View Full Version : Another game impresses me with it's possibilities for map making...

guyanonymous
07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Just Cause 2 has, in my mind, a phenomenal landscape. Snow-capped mountains, rugged stone valleys, beautiful emerald valleys/hills/mountains, desert area, etc...

This online representation of the world (using tiles of the in-game map) is also interesting: http://www.maplib.net/fullmap.php?id=8630

It uses the "Avalanche Engine 2.0"...here are a few in-game action shots: http://www.google.ca/images?q=Avalanche+Engine+2.0&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=qkFGTMSvNoXEsAOe9qHYAg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CC4QsAQwAw&biw=1680&bih=897

The in-game map and the in-game real-world match up very nicely.

Alas, no map editor yet....but fingers are crossed here.

HandsomeRob
07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Ack, the first thing I noticed is the rivers going all the way across the island.

But yeah, the roads look nice.

tilt
07-22-2010, 11:34 AM
oh yeah.. lots of river violations there - they should take a class here at the guild ;) .... otherwise looking cool

Aval Penworth
07-22-2010, 09:28 PM
@ Tilt Is it not possible for a continent to split, leaving a gap that fills with seawater?

As for the map, very nice in places, but the plastic wrap effect on the north east island is over the top.

guyanonymous
07-23-2010, 12:10 AM
One of the goals in the game is to fly under 100 or so bridges...they needed lots of rivers for that I guess :D

tilt
07-23-2010, 09:23 AM
*lol* ... yes, sounds like they have a need for lots of rivers.
@aval - I would say so - an earthquake might split a continent and create a new water mass. But then it isn't a river, its a sea :) ... and I don't say all their rivers are wrong, but the odds for a world looking like that are slim *lol* ... and some of the watermasses that look like rivers are definitly sea with islands instead :)

guyanonymous
07-23-2010, 10:07 AM
There are enough river police on that island as it is...granted the goal is to kill them all... :) :( :?

My fingers remain crossed that a map editor emerges for the general public....and that, perhaps, a larger scale of map is even permitted....