PDA

View Full Version : WIP - New World

Crappynight
07-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, I've tried making this map in OLD style. Like in Tolkien LOTR, using tutorials. What do you think?

Ascension
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Just two things - the rivers go from ocean to ocean and that doesn't happen (unless you're falling back on the old "it's magic") and the black text might look better with just a bit of brown...not too much just a bit to lighten it.

Crappynight
07-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Um, well, okay. it's magic I guess. Seriously? I didn't know that. I mean, why?

rdanhenry
07-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Gravity. Or for a more extended answer, go here and read this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?3822-How-to-get-your-rivers-in-the-right-place

Ascension
07-21-2010, 05:16 PM
The simple answer is physics - there's no way that water could flow downhill in both directions at the same time. For water to flow from ocean to ocean one of the oceans would have to be higher than the other ocean and that's just not possible. If there were canals and locks then that's a man-made interference and not natural but that way does work quite well.

Crappynight
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Thanks. Haven't though about this really. I'll have to make few tweaks.

Seretur
07-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Now, I've always been a little confused on that point. Those don't have to be rivers, do they? A small strip of ocean, perhaps. They could just be really really close together islands, couldn't they?

Ascension
07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's the gray area...really close-together landmasses. In those cases I make sure that the coastlines don't follow the same shape...I put in some fat parts and thin parts.

Crappynight
07-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Okay. I've changed the map a little bit.

I've deleted some river parts and changed a few so they won't go from ocean to ocean.
I've also changed the forest and mountains look.

HandsomeRob
07-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Um, you still have rivers going from ocean to ocean all over the place.

I would just remove the rivers entirely if I were you.

Juggernaut1981
07-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah... sorry buddy but you'd be Public Enemy No. 1 at the moment with the River Police.

To help you out, I'd suggest you obliterate the rivers you have. Grab a blank layer, using simple colours (grey - mountains, green - forests, yellow - deserts, purple - swamps, etc) splash around some guidelines. Once you have those in place, you can put in the rivers very easily.

Crappynight
07-24-2010, 05:40 PM
And leave the mainland without any rivers at all? Wouldn't that be weirder?

Juggernaut1981
07-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Not yet. You'd put all the rivers in after. But at the moment there are a long list of river violations I saw.
Plus if you do the sketching, a few of the other more geologically savvy can also give you help on where climates might turn up.