PDA

View Full Version : City Madness

ravells
07-21-2010, 06:01 PM
This is a wireframe of a bit of a city I'm mapping for a commission.

I've got to the stage of multiple crashes, redraws that can take up to half an hour....

The joys of vector.

Coyotemax
07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Holy Carp!!!
And here I thought mine was annoying :P

That's gonna be bloody amazing when it's done! Assuming you don't kill yourself headbutting your desk in frustration first...

mearrin69
07-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow. That's nuts. :0
M

DevinNight
07-21-2010, 10:15 PM
yeah, that's crazy, what vector program are you using?

Katto
07-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Real madness! And it looks like it is just a quarter of it. I hope you can get it finished without any bad crashes.

tilt
07-22-2010, 02:23 AM
wow.. big town... and I thought I had my work cut out for me with Breakwater ... looking forward to seing more :)

ravells
07-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Fortunately the rest of the city is not so dense! I'll ask the guy I'm doing it for whether he minds me posting WIPs here.

@ Devin: I'm using Serif Drawplus X4. Unfortunately parts of it still haven't been recoded to take advantage of quad core processing, so that's what tends to take the longest time. Even loading the thing takes about 2 minutes now (sigh).

Steel General
07-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Ravs - what you need is a pillow for your forehead - just in case.

ravells
07-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Ravs - what you need is a pillow for your forehead - just in case.

just in pillow-case (ho! ho!)

ravells
07-23-2010, 03:33 AM
The nice author who has commissioned the work has given me permission to post it here. Here it is so far. Needs a lot of tidying up and I still have a fair bit to go on the southern part, which are fields and gardens but the technique I'm trying keeps crashing my computer. Also need to do the addition of individual buildings of note (the black ones), decide what to do with the city wall and a few other things.

We're trying to give each neighbourhood a distintictive look. C&Cs welcomed!

Coyotemax
07-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Aptly titled -- Madness!!
the only things I can really see so far in terms of C&C is that in the (slums? low rent?) district with all the tiny houses, to the right of the city center, a lot of the buildings seem to be overlapping the roads at the moment.. and in the area right above it, some of the slivers don't look right. I'm guessing you've got some kind of procedural thing going on though, and that's why those issues are happening?

I'm having enough issues with doing the street layout and only adding major buildings, I can only guess how stressful this is for you :)

Steel General
07-23-2010, 08:07 AM
just in pillow-case (ho! ho!)

Purely unintentional on my part :)

LonewandererD
07-24-2010, 02:48 AM
To quote my favourite cat "Most everyone is mad here", and that's why this guild rules. Very nice work so far, are you going to put it in colour and what program are using?

-D-

ravells
07-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks all,

@Coyote: The area just above the city centre with all the tiny scattered houses on it is meant to be an area which is largely but not entirely derelict. It's been giving me nightmares to get right. I've botched it (as you can see) ... I think I'm going to have to revisit it.

@Lonewanderer: I'm using Serif Drawplus which continues to impress me no end. The intention is for it to be in greyscale, but I've been having problems in making the canals stand out. Depending on whether they are dark, midtone or light they get confused with the walls, the buildings or the roads. I've wimped out and made them blue for now. Another problems is that the canals were put in as an afterthought, after the roads were built so they don't look right. The roads should be following a parralel course to them with only the occasional bridge, and bridges almost always cross the water at a right angle (I assume bridges are expensive / difficult to build and you want to cross the least amount of water possible).

Anyway, I've solved the problem of the crashes...here's the next version. If you're interested you can see the layers and switch them on and off. In adobe pdf viewer go to View/Navigation Panels/Layers and it will bring up a window with all the layers in.

ravells
07-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Getting to the end of this, I think. Some labels and general pretty-fication.

Ascension
07-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Is this a smaller version? Looks kinda crammed in at this size. Looks awesome but hard to see. Great job, nonetheless.

ravells
07-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks BigA! Should be the same size as the previous ones.....it's in pdf so you should be able to zoom in as much as you want. It's created for print, rather than screen so the line widths don't really handle all that great using adobe reader.

Ascension
07-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Oh, I see. Tricky. I never zoom beyond 100% except in my own maps (cuz I make them at 200%) and normally most folks don't go beyond 100 either so now I gotta add you to my list :)

Steel General
07-25-2010, 08:30 AM
This has turned out great Ravs! I applaud you for taking on something I would find mind-numbingly difficult to finish.

NeonKnight
07-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Absolutely insane there Ravs....absolutely insane

ravells
07-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Lonewanderer has been keeping me good company in the asylum....along with a few others!

Here's the next version....almost there.

Gidde
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
This is crazy cool, Ravs! Can't wait to see the finished product. Did you also draw the bldg fronts? They look great.

ravells
07-27-2010, 01:08 AM
Thanks Gidde,

I'm afraid I didn't draw the building fronts. They came from some royalty free book (worth getting). Heck's Pictorial Archive of Art and Architecture (Dover Press).

Gidde
07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Cool, I'll have to check that out. Regardless, they fit very well :)

Diamond
07-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Wow. Just... wow. I got nothin' else. :D