PDA

View Full Version : How To Make a Rotating Brush in GIMP

RobA
11-05-2007, 04:55 PM
In this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=545) I showed a brush I made for GIMP that would rotate as you painted, god for stroking paths to lay down buildings.

I have finally put together a script-fu that simplifies this process. I have tested it in GIMP 2.4, but not 2.2

First download the attached ZIP and put the setup-brush.scm file into your GIMP script directory. This should be C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.gimp-2.4\scripts

Follow the following steps:

Next Post shows how to make an alternating brush...

-Rob A>

RobA
11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
You can also have two (or more) images alternate.

Just make your source a multiple of a square, like 50x100 (for two) or 50x150 (for three). Each source image must be in a square, and only the image contained within the largest circle that fits that square will get rotated...

Note that the cell size is that of each square, the number of cells is the total (2 x 12 rotations), and it has two dimensions. The first dimension has 2 cells and increments (these come from the columns). The second dimension has 12 cells and is angular (this is the rotated row of images).

Refresh brushes and draw with it.

(I toggled on "Use Color from Gradient" with a rainbow gradient selected in the paint tool dialog in the lower half.)
-Rob A>

pyrandon
11-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Very cool! Thanks!

PS: What are trying to do to us PS users with cool GIMP features liek this, make us jump ship? ;) I need to see if I can do this in PS...

ravells
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Another amazing RobA tutorial. We're going to have to call you 'Mr Gimp' from now on...er on second thoughts, perhaps not!

RPMiller
11-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Actually that would be "The" Gimp. ;) Hopefully Rob doesn't own a leather hood... :shock:

:lol:

RobA
11-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Ouch. That hurts (figuratively) :D

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I think we are approaching TMI. :lol:

wisemoon
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Quick question...is there a way to use this script and/or technique to create an animated brush in Gimp that, instead of rotating the shapes, will just alternate between different sizes? For instance, I want to create a brush shaped like a tree trunk, that will alternate between different sizes and shapes. I'm not sure if I follow the steps for the rotating brush that it will turn out the way I want it to. :(

wisemoon

RobA
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Quick question...is there a way to use this script and/or technique to create an animated brush in Gimp that, instead of rotating the shapes, will just alternate between different sizes? For instance, I want to create a brush shaped like a tree trunk, that will alternate between different sizes and shapes. I'm not sure if I follow the steps for the rotating brush that it will turn out the way I want it to. :(

wisemoon

That is even simpler, just create a brush with multiple layers and put a tree on each layer, then save it as a gih file, but specify only one dimention and make it "random"

-Rob A>