PDA

View Full Version : Sci-fi Map/Screen

RobA
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
I got the idea to generate a random map then pixelize it to make it look hi-techy, and I wanted to see what it would look like.

I got a bit carried away on a simple "test" ;)

The process I followed was:

- Render a random map.
- threshold it to get nice continent shapes
- pixelate it using 8x4 pixels (I liked the rectangles as they reflect the map proportions)
- threshold it again to make the pixels black and white
- blur it with a 4px radius blur
- threshold a third time to get a "rounder corner square pixel" effect.

I saved that to a channel for masking, stoking, etc.

Then I went nuts (too much?) with a bunch of GIMP tech brushes I got from deviant art.

City icons were from that bulletball font I posted a while back.

The satellite traces were drawn in Inkscape as paths and imported into gimp and stroked.

It looked "nekid" without a border, so I made up a brushed aluminum looking frame, and added a few screws and keys to it.

Also threw in some scan lines, screen reflections, and some bg phosphor noise.

-Rob A>

pyrandon
11-06-2007, 05:39 PM
Great Bootfulls of Biscuits! That is amazing! And you say that was just playing around???? Sheesh!!!! Dang!

Gamerprinter
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The satelite lines really give this the sci-fi map of the world that you'd find at a control center, military HQ, etc.

I'm really going to have to study your steps, presented - I've got uses for maps like these! 8)

RobA
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
The fun thing is that if you have a "real" world map, you can turn it into something like the actual map portion quite easily.

-Rob A>

ravells
11-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Rob! You have a family! Stop thinking of maps!

Behind every genius is a very understanding wife.

Ravs

Midgardsormr
11-07-2007, 12:29 PM
I felt an undeniable compulsion to click the buttons, even though I knew they wouldn't do anything. Nice work!

pyrandon
11-07-2007, 12:35 PM
I felt an undeniable compulsion to click the buttons, even though I knew they wouldn't do anything.

Hahaha! I DID DO IT!!!! ;)

ravells
11-07-2007, 01:22 PM
omg, so did I! Beautiful work, Rob!

RPMiller
11-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Well done Rob! I think if you add a slight Pillow Emboss around the buttons they will appear to be a more integral part of the monitor.

For the record I didn't try to click the buttons, but that is because I've done way too many time on other images that I learned my lesson. LOL

RobA
11-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Well done Rob! I think if you add a slight Pillow Emboss around the buttons they will appear to be a more integral part of the monitor.

Thanks!

And just for you I want back and did that (even though it *was* a finished map)

>:)

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Aw... shucks... I feel honored. :D But it is an improvement isn't it. ;)

NeonKnight
11-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks!

And just for you I want back and did that (even though it *was* a finished map)

>:)

-Rob A>

I realise it's finished, but the screws jar with me. Only becuase they are all at the exact same angle.

Other than that, I love it.

RobA
11-08-2007, 02:16 PM
I realise it's finished, but the screws jar with me. Only becuase they are all at the exact same angle.

Other than that, I love it.

Yeah - I noticed that too, right after I did it. I went to rotate one but realized I had already merged the slot in, so rotating it would have also rotated the highlight on the screw head....

And Thanks!

(edit) Changed to tamper-proof torx :) in the original post.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
11-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Actually in the future they just super glue everything. ;)