PDA

View Full Version : Tropan, yet again.

Diamond
07-25-2010, 11:49 PM
One of the very first settings I created years and years ago is Tropan, a land whose primary nation (and main baddies) is a theocracy run by necromancers. Over the years, the setting has changed vastly as I began to write stories set in it; every time I think I've got the look nailed down, something else occurs to me, or I have a story idea that necessitates geography changes. A couple earlier versions of this world can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?8546-Tropan...-again.) and here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?7866-Tropan-Version-umpteen-million).

This newest version incorporates everything I've done to date on this setting so far, which is... a lot. (I'm thinking of starting a Wiki or Obsidian Portal site for it at some point.)

Anyway, onto the map. I started with a hand-drawn rough outline, which I scanned and imported into CS2. Creating a new layer, I traced out the land-mass outlines and turned it into a black and white base map. The land is actually three separate layers - two B&W cloud layers with lighting effects and beveled, angled slightly to each other and merged, with another layer on top set to soft light, which contains not only the base terrain colors but another merged layer with a film grain overlay gaussian blurred to break things up a bit.

The mountains were drawn using Pasis' excellent method, and the forests are a simple grass pattern set to overlay. Overall I'm really pleased with the variation and richness of the colors. The rivers, roads, and borders were designed to be as 'non-intrusive' as possible, and I think they do the job. I made the city icons, and the skull and crossbones and compass are CC-licensed images from Wikipedia. The font is Benegraphic on the title name, and Fertigo Pro for everything else.

Eventually I want to do some regional maps in a more antique style, but I think that'll have to wait a bit; I'm burnt out after this one. :D

Sapiento
07-26-2010, 02:41 AM
Very good map!

Medio
07-26-2010, 03:36 AM
This is an excellent map, indeed. I like the way the land textures fits with naturality. Good job.

ravells
07-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Really lovely! I particularly love the symbols for the towns and cities and the '3d counter' look.

Ascension
07-26-2010, 07:54 AM
This is very nice, the bronze gradient is a lil dark at the top n bottom of the text but everything else is super cool. Great job.

torstan
07-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Very pretty - love the compass. Repped and rated.

Steel General
07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Most excellent!

Diamond
07-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks, guys!

This is very nice, the bronze gradient is a lil dark at the top n bottom of the text but everything else is super cool. Great job.
Yeah, it may be a tad too dark, but I wanted something that would stand out - but not too much. Meh, I'm happy with it. :D

Katto
07-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Really, a very good map Diamond!

Aval Penworth
07-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Great map. Thanks for sharing the creation process. A necromansocracy! So is anyone allowed to stay dead in these lands? Do the undead wander around the cities? Are they untiring servants of the living? I can see that a lot of stories could 'arise'.

Diamond
07-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Great map. Thanks for sharing the creation process. A necromansocracy! So is anyone allowed to stay dead in these lands? Do the undead wander around the cities? Are they untiring servants of the living? I can see that a lot of stories could 'arise'.

I'm calling the Pun Police on you. :D

Yeah, basically if you default on a loan, get executed as a criminal, or **** off someone in power, etc etc, you're reanimated as a part of the zombie labor force.

Aval Penworth
07-29-2010, 10:29 PM
If you default on a loan! There's some incentive to keep up with your payments. I'd shudder to think of the labour stimulus package they would think up.

Ascension
07-29-2010, 10:37 PM
There's a whole new untapped labor force for capitalists...work ya to the grave, reanimate ya, then work ya til you literally fall apart. I hope Wall Street doesn't read our forum :)

landorl
07-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Great looking map. I can't find any thing that I would like to see different about it.

Diamond
07-30-2010, 04:35 PM
There's a whole new untapped labor force for capitalists...work ya to the grave, reanimate ya, then work ya til you literally fall apart. I hope Wall Street doesn't read our forum :)

It's funny you should say that; the whole Wall Street corporate raider mindset was a key ingredient in developing the culture of the Autarchy. :D

yosherl
08-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Very nice! After your Burnout..:) Do you know how long it take ??

yosh.

Valtharius
08-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Absolutely stunning! I like your mountain ranges! Keep up the great work!

~Val