PDA

View Full Version : July/August Entry: Battle Room

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
Not sure if this counts as a "sports arena" but it certainly is an arena of some type. I am rubbish with 3-d modeling but really wanted to try it, so I thought I'd do something really, really simple...

Not sure how I am going to fancy this up or make it especially interesting, but we'll see! Here is the first WIP.

Crayons
07-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Looks like an interesting start. Like some kind of Trekky holographic projection room or Tron thing and it's glowing already? What tool are you using?

Jaxilon
07-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Looks like something out of Tron or Ender's Game.

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-30-2010, 11:17 AM
You guessed it Jax--it is the battle room from Ender's Game-- "The enemy's gate is down!" I am still figuring out what to include and how to make it look like a more interesting place than a big empty room with stuff floating in it.. heh.

Crayons: I am using Genetica and PS for textures and Google Setchup for the layouts.

mearrin69
07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Cool idea. IIRC there was an Ender's Game comic that had some battle room sequences in it. Might give you some ideas. I remember stuff floating around. Been a while since I read the book but it seems like sometimes the thing was empty except for the recruits and sometimes there were floating islands to provide cover and tactical variety? Looking forward to seeing it.

BTW, I've always thought there should be an Ender's Game videogame...not really covering the actual war but life at Battle School. A big part would be sidegames like the space battle simulation and the battle room, but a lot would also be political...improving your rep, building a following among other recruits, etc. Eh, but maybe that's just me being weird. :) Probably wouldn't sell well.
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Are you kidding mearrin69?! I would play that in an instant!

Working on the gate....

Jaxilon
07-30-2010, 05:38 PM
That would make a great game.

RE - If you were Ender you would use your frozen teammates as floating cover :)

Greason Wolfe
07-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Cool idea. IIRC there was an Ender's Game comic that had some battle room sequences in it. Might give you some ideas. I remember stuff floating around. Been a while since I read the book but it seems like sometimes the thing was empty except for the recruits and sometimes there were floating islands to provide cover and tactical variety? Looking forward to seeing it.

BTW, I've always thought there should be an Ender's Game videogame...not really covering the actual war but life at Battle School. A big part would be sidegames like the space battle simulation and the battle room, but a lot would also be political...improving your rep, building a following among other recruits, etc. Eh, but maybe that's just me being weird. :) Probably wouldn't sell well.
M

There were actually 2 comic series, a 2-part series for Ender's Game, and a 2-part series for Ender's Shadow, both published by Marvel and (seeing as how I was at Barnes and Noble today) still readily available.

GW

RecklessEnthusiasm
07-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Hm, I might need to reread some passages from the book. From what I found, the room is something like 20mx20mx100m, the floating squares are called "stars" and there are bars on the walls that people can grab onto and push off of....

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-01-2010, 01:08 AM
Trying to make things look a little bit more interesting...

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-05-2010, 06:32 AM
Still adding basic features. Also still have no idea how I am going to make this look interesting or "mappy."

I know the "stars" were said to be brown, but I thought I'd make them thematic instead. I think I should also make them bugger, since they are supposed to be big enough to be cover... Also added the four "lights" on the corners of the gate that must be pressed in order to let someone through. Still adding the "handlebars" running along each wall.

Jaxilon
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
This is such a cool idea but I'm not sure how to pull it off either :) It totally reminds me of the book and I haven't read it for years. I almost want to see some people in there just to get an idea of size. How many could go through the door at once? You have the 3d space thing going on which is pretty sweet.

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-07-2010, 10:39 AM
I dunno about modelling people in 3d. I am pretty rubbish at this, really, and that is probably beyond my capabilities. Anyway, unless I think of other stuff to add, this is the final layout. Now I just need some way to present it.

Jaxilon
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Hmm, I think I would attempt a 3/4 view of the whole thing looking toward the red door and see how that looks. Reason is because the blue door kind of blends in with the blue lines on the wall and the Red pops a little more. I like the image you posted looking directly at one of the doors but it makes you miss seeing the other side. Maybe you can put the camera in the corner such that you can see both doors, one close to you (almost looking at it sideways) and the other way over there? Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

ravells
08-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I loved that book. Shame that the sequels were nowhere near as good (and got steadily worse). What a great idea for a map. I was thinking Tron when I first saw it. Can't wait to see it completed!

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-09-2010, 01:11 AM
I wish this were running for another month--I really wanted to do a Pokemon stadium as well...

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Welp, this is what I came up with. I know it's nothing fancy, but this was my first try at 3d stuff. I think this is as finished as it will get...

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
08-11-2010, 05:36 PM
That's really well done, RE. It really helps to tell the story (particularly to those of us who have read the book). What I really like about it is the 70's tron-ish type design and colours as it takes me back to the same era when I read the book so the 'feel' is right for me.

Steel General
08-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Cool stuff here ReckLess

mearrin69
08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
If I could access the rep box you'd get some from me. I think the map looks great. When I read Ender's Game I used to imagine how awesome it would be to take part in the training at Battle School. Was that book really 1985? I thought it was much earlier...but maybe I'm thinking of the short story.
M

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Ravells - Thanks a lot my friend. Your praise always means a lot! I was actually born in 1985, so, yeah, I tried to think back to early sci-fi from when I was growing up (like Tron and Star Trek TNG). You are absolutely right about the sequels really degrading in quality the longer they went on, especially towards the end of the Ender-branch. I also remember being deeply disappointed when I found out that the author was such a monstrous bigot. But, yeah, Ender's Game did really grab my imagination as a child. I am going to have to try and find the trade paperbacks of the recent Marvel Comic retelling of the story, I think.

Steel General - I appreciate it! It is a real shame this topic didn't generate more interested than it did--I thought it was a pretty good idea. Same goes for the main challenge: shockingly little movement on it, outside of Ravell's nifty plot-hook-tavern. I might have to jump in last minute with an entry for that one too, if more people don't step up--I have been itching for a golden compass, especially after after coming in second last month. :)

Mearrin69 - I thought about the same thing when I was a kid. Like I mentioned, I was born in 1985, so it has been around in the periphery, influencing sci-fi my whole life. And don't worry, verbal rep is almost as nice as icon-clicking rep, though it doesn't provide any little green bars. :)

mearrin69
08-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Hey, now you got more rep! LOL. Half the time I don't seem to be able to rep a post because the pop-up box appears behind the post below it. I have to try to catch a post without any below it. Anyway, nice map!

Agreed about challenges. Wish I had time to enter them myself. Some great topics recently but real-life and my gaming projects have been taking most of my time these days - and I don't have a great track record of finishing challenges even when not chronologically challenged.
M

ravells
08-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Mearrin, could you post a screenshot of the broken rep pop-up box please? What browser are you using? I've flagged this with RobA / Arcana and hopefully repairs will be on the way.

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Mearrin69 - I feel 'ya, I really do. I have about 5 personal projects and two commissions going at the moment, not to mention my full time job, so I have no idea why (or how) I am spending time on mapping challenges! They are just so fun though... I think I start them without thinking, just because "hey, this would make a good entry" pops into my head. Then I just hate to leave things unfinished so I force myself to work on them (often by sacrificing sleep)... not a healthy habit, I'm sure. Too bad you don't have time to participate--your art is amazing, and I'm sure you'd snatch up several compasses to go with that featured map icon!

Jaxilon
08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Bah, who needs sleep, it's overrated. I'll probably drop dead all of a sudden or something but I like that Wierd Al song "I'll be Mellow when I'm dead (http://s0.ilike.com/play#%22Weird+Al%22+Yankovic:I'll+Be+Mellow+When+I 'm+Dead:205131:s28354838.8108283.1717365.0.1.60%2C std_65d2aacccf034ae3009b53e88ce88f80)". Of course, I usually get to take a nap in the afternoon which is unusual but one of the perks in working for yourself. You are still young though I only now seem to have moments where I just HAVE to shut down. Course, I've been pretty hyper most of my life.

mearrin69
08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
ravells,
Screenshot attached. Little hard to see, since most of the box is behind the post below. I'm using IE 8.0.7600...it sucks for sure. I just installed Firefox so I'll try it on that to see if it works.
M

Ascension
08-13-2010, 03:51 PM
I've never seen this with Firefox so maybe it's an IE thing.

Steel General
08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I've never seen it with either browser.