PDA

View Full Version : MajorCommmand / Risk style maps I've created

RjBeals
07-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I figured I would show off some of my completed maps.

Some background:
I've been a member here for a while, and have made only a few posts. But I've learned a lot from your tutorials, and have been inspired from the high-quality work you all produce. I've been involved with Risk style online gaming sites for a couple years. Recently I've teamed up with some fantastic people who've developed www.majorcommand.com - which is very similar to Risk (but intentionaly different for infringment reasons). Hence the reason for territory names / army troops / attacking lines & such.

For some reason cartography has really interested me. It's the combination of the fine details, the geography and the art. My maps are created in Photoshop, with very few hints of Illustrator. I will sometimes create borders in Illustrator, because they have to be "warped" to fit the map. You know, you need a little creative freedom to move country borders to allow for troop containers, and maybe enlarge Europe just a bit and combine some countries. ;) There's a couple of us who create maps for the site - and we all critique and help each other along the way.

Anyway - Some of you may have seen my Africa map (Work-in-Progress) which I posted a question about in antother thread about a month ago. Just wanted to expose these 3 to you guys - and give a thanks for the all the other beautiful maps you all have posted.

Steel General
07-30-2010, 01:27 PM
A game on that last board would probably take forever :)

Neat stuff...

RjBeals
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
A game on that last board would probably take forever :)

Neat stuff...

Yeah - people crave large maps for that reason. You have 24 hours to take a turn, so you're talking months sometimes to finish a game. But it's sort of fun that way. I stink at Risk though, and prefer to make the maps. It is neat stuff though - your right ! A little different style than the fantasy maps you guys are used to.

Diamond
07-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Those are gorgeous! Not much more I can think of to say other than me like. :)

nutranurse
08-06-2010, 05:02 PM
I must say, these maps are beautiful! Also looking at the majorcommand website right now, looks interesting.

RjBeals
10-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Just (finally) uploaded some maps in my profile/gallery. Soon my New York map will be included :)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?albumid=365

NeonKnight
10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Love the maps, but the last one, the YUKON territory does not even include the Yukon. It is actually the North West Territories. The Yukon and Klondike are the same geographic area.

YUKON:
http://www.goldbamboo.com/images/content/10600-yukon-territory-map-yukon-territory.png

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Northwest_Territories-map.png

Sorry, just the Canadian in me :D

Ramah
10-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Great gallery there RJ. I love your vibrant yet muted colour style, really makes me want to try adding more colour to maps. :)

RjBeals
10-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Great gallery there RJ. I love your vibrant yet muted colour style, really makes me want to try adding more colour to maps. :)

Humbled and Honored. You are one of the best on this site in my opinion. Your Vaniya map was a desktop background for many months. Just keep doing what your doing !

geamon
10-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Haha. You could be even more picky Neon with Ontario and British Columbia covering too much territory but we won't go into semantics for that kinda map now would we? :D

RjBeals
10-22-2010, 02:29 PM
come on guys - there's lots of "fudging" that needs to be done for a Risk style game board. Look how big Europe is!

geamon
10-22-2010, 02:35 PM
I know just giving you a hard time. For a risk game you can never get territories right. If you do then theirs way to many even more then you have. We are just being prideful of our own country and its geography. Don't take it seriously. I like them man. Hell you have more experience at making maps then me and you have a very nice aesthetic.

Sapiento
10-22-2010, 02:57 PM
come on guys - there's lots of "fudging" that needs to be done for a Risk style game board. Look how big Europe is!

Great maps. I've done a similar map for a browser game, and to enlarge some areas while keeping the map balanced is far more difficult than it sounds.

NeonKnight
10-22-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, no, I wouldn't complain about British Columbia being too big, nor would I complain if it was called Alberta or Saskatchewan (because it encompasses those regions), but if it was Labeled Oregon or Quebec....well.... ;)

Hence my 'complaint' of Yukon. It's not that region and so, to me, kinda jars a little. Similar to how in the PC Game Company of Heros, Canada in World War 2 is shown with the Canadian Flag, which never even existed then (We flew the Red Ensign then, our current flag came into existence Feb 15 1965, 20 years after the war in Europe, rubbed me the wrong way. Didn't stop my enjoyment of it, just kinda...you know ;)

Jaxilon
10-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Hey these are gorgeous. I have to agree you have a great eye for the coloring and I hope to make some maps one of these days that capture that sort of feel. Thanks for sharing these great looking images.

tilt
10-28-2010, 02:01 PM
looks really good - never been a risk player myself - I prefer Diplomacy instead - no dice rolling, just diplomacy and back stabbing :) ... worked on a large diplomacy map once, but never finished it. Played a lot by mail, we had a fun way to do it - every week we posted the moves by the players in a small paper, and everybody could make articles for the paper - often mocking the other players :)

Gallifreyan
11-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Awesome maps, the colors and texture are great. Repped and rated!

RjBeals
11-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Love the maps, but the last one, the YUKON territory does not even include the Yukon. It is actually the North West Territories. The Yukon and Klondike are the same geographic area.

YUKON:
http://www.goldbamboo.com/images/content/10600-yukon-territory-map-yukon-territory.png

NORTHWEST TERRITORIES
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/Northwest_Territories-map.png

Sorry, just the Canadian in me :D

The Canadian in you speaks the truth NeonKnight. I edite the map and changed Yukon to NW Territories. Everyone over at the game site agreed. Thanks :)

(edit). If anyone is curious - below are the bonus regions for this map. Again - same rules as Risk really, just on a larger scale. I suck though - and have not won a single game yet on this map.

http://gyazo.com/1b81e9c15a4e52f788459af1de10c8c2.png

NeonKnight
11-03-2010, 12:09 PM
*blush* Now I feel chagrin to make a big deal of it.

I enjoyed the maps, very good. As I said, for me, it was a slight disconnect from when playing, a game (even a board game) to see something mislabeled. Not a harsh critique, just a Hmmm...not really that area.

And I know all about the whole RISK nomenclature thing. Like they OWN the words Western Canada or Australia or such. Chu-yeah-right!

tilt
11-04-2010, 05:32 AM
hey NeonKnight, you should try living in Denmark - we're mostly portrayed as an appendix to germany *lol*

NeonKnight
11-04-2010, 07:18 AM
I thought you were part of Holland?? ;)

Aval Penworth
11-04-2010, 07:47 AM
hey NeonKnight, you should try living in Denmark - we're mostly portrayed as an appendix to germany *lol*

I thought you were just a bakery!:twisted:

tilt
11-04-2010, 09:49 AM
*lol*... we are good at that :)

JosepM
12-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Hi,

I like your risk style maps, how you create it? Can you explain some steps to create it? I preparing a map for a game like risk.

Salut,
Josep M

RjBeals
12-20-2010, 10:50 PM
Man - that's a big question. For starters, I use google earth or maps for a base region that I want. For the maps I make, I can't use ALL the political or regional borders, it just wouldn't work. I try to use at least some sort of real borders though. I create all the borders in illustrator, because it's easier for me to warp them around that way. And for risk maps, you never want a 4-way border, you know - like an X. People don't know for sure if they can attack diagonal - so it's best to keep clear borders. Borders take a long time - because you have to think about gameplay, bonus regions, how many regions border each other.. it's tough, and really the key to a good game.

After that, I import the borders into photoshop and start the graphics. My maps are created for online games, so there is a smaller resolution i work with - like 1000 px x 600 px usually. But I create my maps at double that size (2000x1200) because it's easier to get some details in that size. I usually have about 75 layers in a finished map. Lots of grunge, and overlays and tiny effects that nobody would probably ever notice.

Hope that at least gives you an idea - it's a long process. But rewarding when you can play a game on your map :)

Good Luck - you can hit me up in this thread if you have specific problems and I can try to help.

Example of 4-way border - This area of the US is known as the 4-corners because the state borders form a cross. I couldn't warp those borders, it just wouldn't work, so I dropped some cacti in there. It's a desert region anyway, so it worked.

http://gyazo.com/116d82d4eb55f9eaac1f3597f1525b4e.png

then I make sure to put that symbol in the legend (or brief as we call them).

http://gyazo.com/28787ee30826ea6c135d2ea71b25a7ae.png