PDA

View Full Version : World of "Tire d'aile" and "Taurus51" , 1st real commission

Dain
08-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi,
I'm happy to confess that i've been commissioned to realize 2 maps for novels.
µObviously, they had to be B/W and clear and simple to read. The result is, I think, actually quite nice. They are some little things I wouldn't do the same again but I believe it is all about experience, isn't it?
I know it is not perfect you guys can have pretty sharp eyes, so feel free to comment and give your feedback.
what do you reckon?

Novels are both french:
Tire D'aile from P.Tessier, a well known author who has also created the rpg names Polaris.
Another novel from N.Cluzeau, an author who has writen a dozen of books so far.
The maps do have copyrights and can not be used for commercial purposes, of course.
They will be edited by Black Book Editions

Since I found the inspiration/ help/ ressources on this forum, I really wanted to share the experience with you guys. This map is mine but also a little bit of yours ;)
I'm also glad that the feedback is good and I've got already some other maps to do ;)

Cheers
Fred

Ascension
08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
They looks pretty darn nice to me, excellent job.

Coyotemax
08-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Those are great! for what it's worth, i can't find any constructive criticisms to make - you're right to be proud of them!

Steel General
08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Congratz and well done!

Dain
08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys, you're too kind ;)

When I said I wouldn't do some little things the same again, I meant about the poor variety of the brushes used.
On the one hand, I believe it's important not to vary too much the brushes as it makes the whole illustration more consistent and homogeneous. But on the other hand, have some extra nice looking brush, used only once or twice, brings some more punch and personality to the map.
Here, I'm talking about craters, volcanoes, canyons, high peaks, or simple cliffs and any other kind of terrain aspects that could be different from hills/ mountains. I think the map miss that. A bit :P

Anyway, this work was very enjoyable and it's good to hear you like it as well ;)
I just need now to push it a little bit further to be fully happy :P

Ascension
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
You're absolutely right about the "specials" that go scattered around here and there. An extra tall mountain here, volcano there, etc. but now you know and I never noticed in the first place :) I imagine that the next one will be quite stunning and even cooler than this.

ravells
08-02-2010, 04:48 AM
Beautiful work! Really clear and it's HARD (for me) to do maps in pure black and white (rather than greyscale), you can't hide behind pretty colours and effects, the map really has to stand up, and yours does that really well. Only one small comment, one of your mountain symbols (the one that tilts towards the right) seems to stand out in the repeats, but it's a very small thing.

Eilathen
08-02-2010, 07:32 AM
I really love the style! Very well done, Dain, have some rep.
I like the left one better. Too bad the novels are in french.

Hope to see more of your works in the future.

Redrobes
08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
My only crit is that I think theres a lot of accents missing. I know sejours has a mark over the e and cites I think too. Have you had a french reader look at the text ? Otherwise I see no faults at all they are just great.

Dain
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm actually french :P
Accents are only mandatory when lowercase letters are used, not for Capital ones. So "SEJOUR" is correct as well as "séjour" ;)
But I do admit I didn't make sure every accent was on. I'll have a closer look but I believe I should be fine about this

Redrobes
08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Ah ! Well ill be first in line to admit my french is poor - so I was not sure. I never knew that about the capital letters with accents. When I write french on my keyboard I leave them off all the time which I know is probably going to annoy the native readers but switching to french layout makes all the keys move around so I have been most lax in my learning and proper use of accents.
Hangs head in shame once more...

Dain
08-02-2010, 09:38 AM
No worries mate, accents are also a pain in the A. for frenchies when it comes to write properly; and my english is not so good, so we're finally quite even ;)

Your comment did in fact have a good point: Being very careful with the labels. You may have a damn nice map but you can also easily ruin the whole thing by misspelling the names and giving awful poor gibberish!
So good point in the end ;)

Katto
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Those are really beautiful maps. Well done Dain!

Crayons
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Lovely maps Dain!
Have the river police been on an inspection tour? Do I see some curious water action in the eastern forests of Uriam? Also the river between Nzoran and Lamsha in the SE?

Ascension
08-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Yeah, we patrol these parts but since it's a commission it's over our heads :)

Crayons
08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Ah hah!! A jurisdictional issue - I fully understand!