PDA

View Full Version : Saxe-Blünder Augsburg

Javen
08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
For the past couple of weeks I've been working on a big project for a nation called Saxe-Blünder Augsburg, which is one of the larger nations in a region full of Germanic states. Saxe-Blünder is a fairly huge country (we've got a funky scale so it's like the size of South Africa) and as such I've made a huge map (5000x4970) because unfortunately it's also a very irregularly shaped nation and needs a lot of room on the sides. The culture is a hodge-podge of southern German cultures, with Austro-Bavarian being the official language, so I've been using Austro-Bavarian naming conventions.

The style I've been working in is based off of National Geographic. I shamelessly admit to having lifted the colours and style of the borders, the colours for the oceans and rivers, as well as the text style, from them, but I've replaced the text with stuff that is widely available, and I used Wilbur (which is an incredible program) for a heightmap.

The obvious problem I face is that this map is too big to show here, so I've reduced it's size significantly and unfortunately it has lost a lot of detail. But for the time being, here's a rough idea of what I've got, albeit without the tributary rivers, state borders, and sub-state borders I'm working on now.
I would appreciate constructive C&C, and I realize that Wilbur unfortunately made some weird looking drainage areas. When I'm done with rivers, I'll post them up.

Aelyn
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Very nice idea! I like the heightmap, it's very realistic. I hope you can make the rivers fit that style, it would be great!

As for the names: I like the idea of not using English names, makes your map something special. Are you Austrian yourself?

ravells
08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Wow, that colour scheme is really beautiful! Lovely work!

Katto
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Very good start. Looking forward to the next update.

Steel General
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Chock full of coolness so far! :)

Javen
08-02-2010, 08:44 PM
@ Aelyn:

No, I'm an American. -.-
But there is a very good amount of documentation on German placenames, symbolism, and the like. I'm also very interested in German history and culture, so that helps.

cereth
08-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Can't wait to see where this map goes. Looking great so far.

Aelyn
08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
@ Aelyn:

No, I'm an American. -.-
But there is a very good amount of documentation on German placenames, symbolism, and the like. I'm also very interested in German history and culture, so that helps.

Being American is no reason to look like -.- as far as I know ;) It's interesting people actually like German history, I guess if you've been smothered with it during highschool you become very indifferent. *shrugs* Anyway I noticed something you might want to correct: a "ß" is turned into "SS" if written in capital letters. So you should write "BASSENFELD". I don't like that convention either, but imagine- Swiss people don't have a "ß" at all, now that always looks weird to me!

Sapiento
08-03-2010, 11:47 AM
...Anyway I noticed something you might want to correct: a "ß" is turned into "SS" if written in capital letters. So you should write "BASSENFELD". I don't like that convention either, but imagine- Swiss people don't have a "ß" at all, now that always looks weird to me!

That makes the Swiss a good portion smarter than the Germans and Austrians in my opinion (opinion of a genuine Austrian btw)!

I like the map, maybe a little bit more detail or colours; for me it looks a little bit pale at the moment.

Javen
08-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I like the map, maybe a little bit more detail or colours; for me it looks a little bit pale at the moment.

Don't worry, I still haven't added the roads, cities, or labels.

Javen
01-07-2011, 03:44 AM
So it's been a long, long time, but I finally got around to doing enough work on this to allow myself to upload a new version.
It's seen a lot of changes on account of my perfectionism and a nasty hard drive crash; I've sharpened it up a lot and improved the heightmap and colors. I have to say, the data limit on attachments really hampers the quality (I had to halve it just to upload), but I think I'll try to find a better host for the final version (one with zoom!)

I'm particularly interested in what people think about the banners. I'm not so sure about them; I can put a flag in that empty half.

Steel General
01-07-2011, 07:19 AM
You might want to consider DeviantArt, a bunch of us use it as an alternative to upload larger, higher-rez versions of our maps. Plus it's free :)

Eilathen
01-07-2011, 08:11 AM
This is a great map! Well done. I like the banners, even if they block the view on more of the map. I hope to see more of this world. Care to share more detail on the world's history and such things?

Oh and I agree with Sapiento... ss is much more convenient than that funny looking double ss that looks lie a B-derivate ;)

Javen
01-07-2011, 09:11 PM
@ Eilathen: The region is known as Waldenburg, and it's earlier history is a lot like the Holy Roman Empire. There was a bigger empire that is still pretty huge, but the areas at the southern tip of the continent have become a collection of duchies, margraviates, and kingdoms, dominated by Saxe-Blünder Augsburg and Paloni. Nearly all of the countries have been heavily effected by the massive civil war which tore apart the old empire. Saxe-Blünder is a lot more powerful, more populous, and more stable than most, but it is stable in a 'corrupt Latin American country' way. The bureaucracy (full of people from criminal families) runs the country in a way that maximizes their own profit, and for this reason the vast majority of the country is backwards and the only modern part is a small enclave in the center of the capital (the only part of the country where you can drive without a chance of popping a tire) where the bureaucrats, bureaucracy, and super-rich dwell.

jamieg270
01-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Hi Javen,

Really nice map, you are to be congratulated. I'm trying to do something similar, and wondered how you made the mountain textures?

Thanks,

Jamie

Javen
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Jamie,
I made the mountains from a heightmap in Photoshop and Wilbur, then I brought them back in and selected only the high points so that they'd show up.

LonewandererD
01-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Now this quite a lovely may, escpecially like the mountains. Repped.

-D-

Nathan
01-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Nice job Javen, I hope that one day my maps will look the same ;)

Javen
04-01-2011, 05:47 AM
After several months of aggravatingly boring city naming, I think it's almost done. I consider this the penultimate draft, barring the potential addition of road or rail lines, but I'm content at the moment with the density of cities.

I apologize for the huge file size, but it was the only way of achieving lossless compression so that people could still read the tiny text on the city names.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23147859/Saxe-Bl%C3%BCnder%20Augsburg.PNG

Sapiento
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Looks very good. Did you use a name generator for the towns?

Javen
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
For some of them, especially when I began to run out of common words and themes. The majority were translations, and a good number around the south were Slavic, Hungarian, and Romanian Germanizations.

MikeB
04-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I'd LOVE to see/learn more of this world. Any chance we could see a world map?

Javen
04-02-2011, 04:03 AM
This is the latest iteration of the regional map (http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo10/xresNTAP/tyrmap-1.png)
. The area full of grey near the centre is Waldenburg und die Kreise, which is where Saxe-Blünder is. Incidentally, the creator of this map is actually on the Cartographer's guild: XresNTAP (http://www.cartographersguild.com/member.php?23099-XresNTAP)