PDA

View Full Version : Hello everybody!

krolac
08-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Hello,

first post, but I've been lurking around for some time :)

First, let me say you've got some awesome stuff on this site. I especially like the tutorials, since I cant draw free-hand for craps. Kudos to all who are making them, helping out the ones with less talent (like me).

I've always been insterested in maps, and combined with my hobby of making boardgames, this site is a godsend. I have been using Photoshop for making boardgames for a couple of years, and know the most basic stuff. I'm still trying to learn some basics Photoshop mapmaking tips & tricks by studying tutorials but thought I'd post my first "real" maps here for critisism (if I can figure out how to).

Both these maps were designed using Pyrandon's city making tutorial with some modifications. I probably went a little overboard with the city map, and should have started out with something way smaller. Well, at least I learned that this time! Please, any and all comments are welcome.

Steel General
08-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Looks like you did a good job following the tutorial (I've used that one myself), and Welcome Aboard!

torstan
08-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the guild - and good job on those maps. You've done a great job with that tute.

To push it a little further I'd suggest a little colour variation in the houses. Also, it seems a little odd that there are city walls on some shorelines and not others in the first map - but there could be a good reason for that. I love the forest texture you've got there. It's really convincing.

Ascension
08-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I really like the layout of the second one, nice job on both.

DevinNight
08-16-2010, 06:08 PM
nice job, for your 1st postings, I'd say they look really great.

tilt
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
welcome to the guild and nice maps - good work :)

krolac
08-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks guys! I'll be in the tutorials section for some time... maybe i'll have a go at the "lite" mapping contest, nice idea for us newbies!!

Redrobes
08-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Welcome - either of those maps would likely win the lite challenge. Nicely done.

NeonKnight
08-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Welcome to the Guild!