PDA

View Full Version : August entry: Go Yurt!

Jaxilon
08-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Originally was thinking about a prison for a starting point but since I already did one underground map for this month's lite challenge I figured it wasn't in me. Inns and Taverns are obvious but most times I just hate doing the obvious. So round and round my mind spun and I wrote up a whole list of things including a Keep, Tower, Mine, Library (almost did that), and so on about 15 or so locations. Couldn't decide if I wanted it to be a one time place they would never return to or an ongoing hang out until...

It struck me, A YURT! A yurt is a sturdy yet portable structure used by the nomadic peoples of Central Asia and while used as much today it is making a bit of a comeback as a environmentally low impact way to live. The modern day Yurts are built using modern materials and make for some very nice yet affordable living structures. Personally, I have my days where I really wish I did live in one but that's another story. If you are still lost think a cross between a building and a tent.

Anyway, the Yurt can serve as a headquarters so to speak that with a bit of effort can be moved to a new location. It fits in nicely with almost any setting, mid-evil, arabian, even modern if you change up what it's made of.
For those of you who may know about Yurts, I'm dropping the right side = women's, left = men's traditional stuff.

I should have an image up before I go to bed tonight.

Edit: And here is my sketch, scanned, and then I created the skeleton structure of the Yurt in Gimp.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Yogurht.. I mean Go Yurt.. ;)
Looking good ... as I looked at the thumbnail I thought you made a HUGE on, cause I saw your sketches as houses within a greater hold, but zooming in I got it right :) ... looking forward to seing it finished :)

Steel General
08-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Looks like a good start Jax...

mearrin69
08-18-2010, 04:39 PM
Heh. Yogurt was my first thought as well. It's a good start and I'm looking forward to the result. Zoomed out it almost looks techie. Maybe you need a dual map: 1) a plains nomad's yurt, and 2) an asteroid miner's SPACE YURT. How can younot do a space yurt? That's the doorway to a golden land of opportunity and adventure!
M

Jaxilon
08-18-2010, 05:39 PM
"Yogurt" was why I used the title "Go Yurt". It seems to have brought the desired effect :)

Yes, a space yurt, now that is the penultimate goal in Yurtsmanship!
*large echoing voice* "Yurts in SPAAACE!" Brought to you by the syfi network featuring these historic structures as flying fortresses equipped with rocket propulsion and laser beams. Watch terrifying dog fights unfold before your eyes! *cut to a yurt being blown wide open with woolen rugs and wooden chests pouring out into the vacuum of space*

Haha, it's WAY better than a flying carpet ride baby. Step inside and let's cozy up to the fire in my spinning home of love....

Ok, now see what you did mearrin? I'm all off on a tangent now. :)

tilt
08-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I did expect you to have done that on purpose - how could you not. ... Look around as a voice suddenly fills the room "In next week we'll here Mr. Jax say: "Just spray that big sack of Müsli all over the yurt" ;)

mearrin69
08-19-2010, 12:48 AM
*cut to a yurt being blown wide open with woolen rugs and wooden chests pouring out into the vacuum of space*

No way. Space yurts would totally dominate in a dogfight. Goodbye TIE.
M

Ascension
08-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Space yurts would totally dominate
Dude, that's one of the funniest things I've heard in quite some time. Space yurts have the advantage of being able to be rolled up and put on a camel's back when done mopping up the galaxy with TIE fighters.

mearrin69
08-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Maybe...if it's a SPACE camel. LOL. We'd better quit derailing the yogurt thread now. More yurts! I do still kinda want to see a space yurt though.
M

Jaxilon
08-19-2010, 03:41 AM
I know, I am tempted to go for the space Yurt because it would be just absolutely funny. We should do another funny challenge like the trap one we did a few months back.

I was going to hold off on posting this but what the heck, here's my progress today. It seems I'm going pretty quickly on this which is good because next week I doubt I will have ANY time for it.

I don't have the lighting going on yet so it's basically evenly bright. I think I will need to do some shadows and so on to give it more depth as well. I'm not sure on the poles across the top of the Yurt either, I'm thinking to have them just barely visible kind of like they are now but maybe another color.

In my opinion every adventure party is going to want one of these. :)

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
08-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Looking good. The rug by the door is evil. Love the little weapon/helmet stands by the door.
M

Jaxilon
08-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Thanks, LOL, I call the welcome mat my "Psycho Donkey" and if it had words it would read, "Don't JACK with the Yurt!"

I was doodling with my mouse on that one and that wicked looking thing is what I ended up with. So I decided it would be my Psycho Donkey which makes me grin when I see it now.

tilt
08-19-2010, 04:59 AM
Psycho Donkey.. like the one from Shrek only evil :)
looks really good a lot of nice details :)

Jaxilon
08-22-2010, 05:57 AM
Can't make up my mind what to do with the support beams and "wheel" portion of the Yurt. For now I think I like this amount of visibility but at times I just want to toss the lid out completely. I plan to do a side view and some more text plus have to finish up the bathroom area. Oh and the whole thing is supposed to be about 50 feet in diameter.

Anything I'm missing please feel free to mention because after this weekend I don't think I will have much time for this.

### Latest WIP ###

Steel General
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
You could always have the 'lid' as a separate image to show what it looks like. Though a side image may accomplish that as well.

Crayons
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Really colourful. It brings to mind the idea of David Eddings' Rivans, boring looking on the outside but very colourful on the inside.
Are you going to match up the sharpness of the items? Some things are still blurry whilst others are, perhaps, a bit too sharp?
I think the supports look fine, they give it "shape" without detracting from the image. Unless you're expecting Ninja roof climbers* to come in through the smoke hole, it's not too necessary to take it further? (Special Ninja skill, "Yurtrufjutsu")

Jaxilon
08-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah I plan to go through while applying shadows and hopefully even things out. Once again I'm up against stuff I drew by hand and stuff I drew on the computer. My hand work doesn't match my mousework and I don't think it ever will. Hopefully when I get a tablet some of this crap will go away.

Hehe: Ninja's in the Smoke Hole - sounds like an interesting adventure. Hey that gives me an idea....<off to the challenge suggestions I go now>.

Jaxilon
08-23-2010, 06:24 AM
Another evenings progress. I worked on the sharpness and blur of the various items so they more evenly matched one another. Also finished off the bathroom, complete with a tub for having a soak. Added a scale showing the diameter but then it ended up in the corner panel so I'll have to fix that somehow.

Fiddled a bit with creating some corner panels, drew a side view of the Yurt and placed it in a corner panel. Still need to make a frame of some kind. This one also does NOT show the roof beams. If you got a moment let me know if you like it better without them or if you liked the previous look.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
08-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Looks great.

I liked the beams but they looked a little thin, actually. Maybe thicken them up and add a bit of wood texture to them? They're not necessary, though - especially if you maybe use those tab things to give some more "architectural explanation".

BTW, there's a box outside the front door that seems to have a white border around it that didn't get removed/made transparent. You probably already knew about it but I figured I'd point it out in case it had slipped your notice.

Are you going to create any text explaining things? This yurt, BTW, is perfect for Argria (see my city entry in the CWBP). I was picturing more of a tent-like deal for most of the dwellings but had also wanted a more permanent residence for the folks that had settled in Argria for trade. If you're not doing anything with this after the challenge maybe you'd think about making this part of the CWBP? Just a thought. :)
M

Jaxilon
08-23-2010, 12:46 PM
1) Sounds like a plan. I will see if I can make them more wooden looking. Can't be too thick or a Camel could never carry them....well, maybe if they are made of Balsa wood but I don't think that's used, hehe.
2) I had thought about making a picture of the whole thing bound up on a camel or a couple horses for transport, maybe I should pursue that. I want to put some text explaining something but I haven't come up with anything good.
3) I had noticed that stupid white around the chair. Right after I posted it of course. Thanks for reminding me though because it wouldn't be beyond me to forget :)
4) I would love to contribute this to the CWBP when finished! That would be awesome. Baring someone coming along and offering actual money for it this baby is destined for CWBP. :)

Crayons
08-23-2010, 03:10 PM
So that's not a mail box outside? :D
I think you had the pole sizes about right, it is just a heavy duty tent after all. I think I preferred it "with" roof poles so my that would be my "vote" on the subject - but I don't vote in competitions I'm a part of so feel free to mark it as a possible hanging chad. ;)

Jaxilon
08-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Basically the square outside is just something for a guard to sit on. It's the same object as the ones around the Map table inside. I call it a stool but it would work for a small box just the same. Hard to tell the difference looking straight down at it.

Jaxilon
08-24-2010, 05:11 AM
Right, not a lot changed here. Put the roof poles back in and gave them more of a wood texture. Changed the scale reference to just show the radius. I didn't thicken them because if you check a wiki with pictures they are pretty small. The strength comes from the number of them.

Fixed that heinous white area around the outside stool/box. Moved my sig yet again...good grief, I just can't figure where I want it.

Still need to add some text.
Still need to finish the boarder. Not sure what to do on this, I think I suck at borders.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Added some text. still need to create a Title.

I read the Challenge instructions again to make sure I was following them. I see a lot of hooks being created which is great fun but according to what is required not necessary. For a moment I thought I had to come up with a scenario but this a map of a location so hopefully this is fine.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-25-2010, 01:12 AM
If anyone sees anything major on this please let me know. Unless the cut off drags I will be unlikely to put much more into this right now, RL work this week is hellacious and today I just came home and collapsed. Big job, big pay, but man oh man, the grind is rough.

Jaxilon
08-25-2010, 04:54 AM
Against all sense I have stayed up when I should have been sleeping. If I get sick it's going to be because of this YURT, LOL

I drew a camel and loaded up a Yurt on his back for one of the corner inserts. He was a speed drawing so nothing special but I think he came out great.

Fixed a couple typos. Added the Title "The Yurt" and just a couple small things.

Depending on my exhaustion levels I may or may not be on tomorrow night. I will probably check in in about 6 hours though before I head out.

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-25-2010, 04:56 AM
This is the same as above but with the roof poles at full visibility. Not sure if I should submit this with them on full or as I have it in my last wip shot.

Would have posted this in the last one but in case I didn't get back i was worried about the thumb scraper getting confused.

tilt
08-26-2010, 05:47 AM
looks good... like all the colors - only one thing left to say.. GO YURT! :)

cereth
08-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Extra kudos for the camel! :)

Jaxilon
08-28-2010, 04:21 PM
So, I might be able to work some more on this tonight. I just need to figure out what it needs most. In my mind I'm thinking of a few things I could do:
1) deeper shadows around taller items such as the tables and chests.
2) Outside terrain, maybe a couple trees or something, perhaps some washed out greens?
3) I'm still not totally satisfied with the blanket/curtain partitions. I'm not sure if I have a better way to show them however I could mess around with that.

If any of these ideas seem solid or if you have any other suggestions I am happy to hear it.

Hopefully I will be back before too late and I will have energy for it. :)

mearrin69
08-28-2010, 04:33 PM
1) A little more shadowing could be good...as well as some more light from that fire and the lamps splashing up against the chests and such.
2) I would like to see this addition the most. The yurt itself is quite busy but the area outside is so plain. Maybe terrain that's a little crisp (but still washed out) near the yurt but fading out to nothing near the borders.
3) Not sure what you can do with them. I reckon they're hanging from something, so maybe try to suggest the pole or rack or whatever they're hung from a bit more?

a) In addition to extra-yurty terrain additions, I'd like to see more done with the border...but I'm not sure what. At the very least maybe amp up the gold frame. Maybe it's realistic hand-beaten gold (or copper)? Or you could make the corner square areas a marble texture or something instead of just darkening the background? Bigger inset images in the corner squares? Not sure, it just feels a little spare to me.
b) Create an additional yurt in the back to serve as a garage so the clan can park its SPACE yurt out of the weather. I suspect that SPACE yurts have some sort of cool nomad paint schemes (none of that bare metal hullplating for SPACE nomads) that could fade in the sunlight and become scratched in windblown sand. You know I'm just kidding right? Maybe.

M

Jaxilon
08-29-2010, 12:59 AM
LOL, I'm with ya on the Space Yurt idea.

Thanks for helping out with my brainstorming on this.

a) Border additions - If I had put one more point down it would have been this. Borders are not something I feel very good about doing. If I have time I will play around with it and see what I can come up with though. Practice makes perfect :)

Jaxilon
08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Ok, spent a couple hours working on the shadows, tweaking the border and enlarging the corner images. Shadows are kind of a pain but hopefully this will help give a little more atmosphere to the place.

I plan to work on doing something about the outside landscape even if it's just a wash of some color so it's not quite so bland.

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
08-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, that's working. One part that sticks out as very unshaded are the weapons racks by the door. Looking forward to seeing how you treat the "landscaping". I think it's a good idea but I don't have any conception of how it'll work.
M

Jaxilon
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Alrighty then, I took a stab at the outdoor area. Changed the inserts a bit. Little more shadows around the weapon area. Put a light in the bathroom. I think that's it.

I have to step out for a new cell phone, mine went for a little swim :O

Let me know what you think. I still have a few hours tonight I can work on this :)

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
08-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I like this colorized version a lot, but your trees look kind of funky and pixellated. They definitely help balance out all that empty space, though. As for the yurt itself, it looks great; all you need is a couple of nubile Mongolian princesses reclining on the pillows. :D

mearrin69
08-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Looks great. Maybe a little too green but it's nice!
M

Jaxilon
08-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Right, I was thinking of the kinds of trees architects use only colored a bit. I think you were right they didn't work as well as the rest. I have modified them to soften them up a bit and shaped them better. I think these are a little better. Hopefully good enough but if not I can have another go at them. I'm going to take a break for a bit though.

Thanks for the feedback!

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
08-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm liking those better. Great entry, Jaxilon!
M

Jaxilon
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
My mind must be going numb. I added the drop shadows on the trees, :)

tilt
08-30-2010, 11:13 AM
if you need some energy eat some yoguhrt.. ah... I allready made that joke... dammit... well, looking good but those trees need way longer shadows cause I'm guessing they are sligthly higher than a bed? ;)

Diamond
08-30-2010, 05:11 PM
I was thinking about that too; the trees really do need longer shadows.

One thing I just noticed that I thought was pretty sweet is the 'war room' with the little map on the table.

Map Vandal
08-30-2010, 06:19 PM
I disagree. Since the trees are outside, they would have different length shadows than the objects inside. I assume that the image is sometime around mid day so the shadows from the trees would be short. I think if you make the tree shadows too long, it will distract from the important part of the map -- the stuff inside the yurt.

Jaxilon
08-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Well, I was thinking in my mind it was closer to dusk when I was working on the insides. I also think Vandal is right if I put long shadows it might be distracting....maybe it can be late at night and only the moon is out.....course, then I need to dark the heck out of everything. Hmm, guess I'll see what some longer shadows look like and determine if they are too distracting. Or, better idea yet, these are scrub trees and are only about 4' high :)

@Diamond - Yeah I liked putting that little war room together with the map and the books. There is also a little desk with an open book and quill in the two bed chamber. The war room is probably still my favorite though.

Jaxilon
08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok, bigger drop shadows and I actually changed the tint of the outside a bit and I think I like this better. It's not quite as "green" and yet the trees are more green. :)

### Latest WIP ###