PDA

View Full Version : gw::TerraNoise - Awesome Terrain Noise Generator

Arcana
11-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Found this program over at CGTalk...its VERY cool for generating noise based terrain displacement maps as well as normal maps and whatnot...I'm just now playing with it, but here's a terrain map I generated using a ridged multi with a curve modifier.

I'll post a render shortly.

Download the program (and other cool utilities) here: http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

Gamerprinter
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Looks pretty awesome, I am downloading it now!

ravells
11-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Yum! Thanks Arcana!

Torq
11-12-2007, 07:40 AM
This is fantastic Arcana. I put together this rather inhospitable planetary terrain, using the Terranoise Generator and the Gimp in five minutes flat. The underlying terrain is based on a rideged perlin.

Great find.

Torq

Arcana
11-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Yeah There's all sorts of things you can do with this thing...make sure you also experiment with the spherical projection and cylindrical projection. You maybe could get a good globe perhaps?

My render didn't go too well...I put motion blur on it and it screwed it up, I'll try again though.

ravells
11-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Hmm when I click on 'none' in the exporter I get a 'no map exporters available message' - am I doing something wrong?

Ravs

Arcana
11-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Did you link your generator to the exporter?

Each thing that you create on the board has to be linked from the left to right...like in this screenshot.

ravells
11-12-2007, 07:40 PM
yes.....did that but still no joy. do you think the dll files that come with it need to be put somewhere?

Arcana
11-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah...I kept the directory structure of the zip file that came with it and just extracted it into a folder into program files called terranoise.

ravells
11-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Still no joy :( . I'll try emailing the author. In my explorations for an answer I found another ground terrain generator, Gugila, here (http://gugila.com/index.html)

The full version is expensive at $180, but there is a free lite version. The only problem is that you need either 3d max or autodesk for it to work.

Ravs

RobA
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
There is always Wilbur: http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/software.html

-Rob A>

ravells
11-13-2007, 12:10 PM
I've got Wilbur which came with Fractal Terrains, but I kind of liked the ability to create textures. I must actually start a new map rather than fiddling with every new bit of shiny software that comes along!

RobA
11-13-2007, 01:42 PM
but I kind of liked the ability to create textures.
Maybe I don't understand that this TerraNoise program does then. (I have not tried it).

I though it just let you build heightmaps using a variety of noise function, and perform (mathematical) filtering on them...

-Rob A>

ravells
11-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, it does. Sorry I meant heightmaps, not textures (although a side effect of it is that you can create textures as well). As far as I know, Wilbur doesn't create heightmaps using noise functions (although Bryce does). Not to worry I have so much other stuff to occupy me at the moment!

RobA
11-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Yes, it does. Sorry I meant heightmaps, not textures (although a side effect of it is that you can create textures as well). As far as I know, Wilbur doesn't create heightmaps using noise functions (although Bryce does). Not to worry I have so much other stuff to occupy me at the moment!

Ah! That is where the confusion came in.

Actually, it will! Here is a link http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/cshelf/index.html

That shows how to used ridged multifractals to generate a "random" globe and apply mathematical functions to create continental shelves!

-Rob A>

ravells
11-13-2007, 03:09 PM
That's amazing!

Is there anything you don't know, Rob? :)

Ravs

Arcana
11-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Been playing a little more with TerraNoise...its no Wilbur, but it does give you a bit more control I think than Wilbur does...I figured out how to work the color. Look at this screenshot for a pretty decent world...Its VERY consistent though, and doesn't create things like deserts and erosion and whatnot.

Gigawatt
09-01-2010, 06:03 AM
It looks good.