PDA

View Full Version : August/September Entry -- Gilmore's Forest

Map Vandal
08-19-2010, 04:02 PM
This is a start. I am not sure where I will take this, but I really liked the forest clearing idea.

### Latest WIP ###

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-20-2010, 08:21 AM
M.V. - This is really cool! I had the same idea of creating a forest clearing, but you beat me to it.

The thumbnail does your artistic talent no justice. When I opened the full sized image, I was really impressed with your hand drawn style. Keep up the good work!

tilt
08-20-2010, 09:58 AM
very nice vandal ... and I agree with RE, gotta open full size to really appreciate it :)

ravells
08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
very yummy indeed! And new!

mearrin69
08-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Heh. Thanks for the tip on opening it up...the thumbnail definitely doesn't do it justice. This would have been my take on the challenge if I was going to enter it. :)
M

Map Vandal
08-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you for the kind words.

Here is an update:

Gilmore is a retired traveling minstrel who has taken up the simple life. He and his wife, along with their son and his family have built two huts on the edge of a small clearing deep in the Green Heart Hills. There they raise some animals and forage for food completely isolated from the war that is tearing apart the land only a few hundred miles to the east. Gilmore has also brought wth him his considerable treasure including the Sword of Change and two Rubies of Power that, in the right hands, could end this war and bring peace to the land.

### Latest WIP ###

Ramah
08-26-2010, 05:22 PM
That there is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more of it. :)

Soixante
08-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Love the story as well as the map. I want to live there.

ravells
08-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey Soixante! Welcome back...long time no see!

Map Vandal
08-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Love the story as well as the map. I want to live there.

Thank you. I always enjoy mapping places I would actually want to live.

Map Vandal
08-27-2010, 02:34 PM
Another update: I added a title block and a frame and cleaned up a few minor things.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
nice frame and shield... takes my mind to a graphic of the green man I saw - so very fitting :)

Ascension
08-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Dude, this is uber sweet. I wanna live there, too.

industrygothica
08-28-2010, 01:24 AM
I think I'll give up making my map and just vote for yours. This really is fantastic.

-IG

Hai-Etlik
08-28-2010, 02:27 AM
There are a couple of places where the texture synthesis has repeated something too closely and it stands out: the left of the big clearing, and the right of the clearing in the bottom right. A bit of manual tweaking in those areas might help.

Map Vandal
08-30-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for the comments.

There are a couple of places where the texture synthesis has repeated something too closely and it stands out: the left of the big clearing, and the right of the clearing in the bottom right. A bit of manual tweaking in those areas might help.

Thank you for pointing this out. It is actually not a texture at all. Everything on the map is hand drawn but I do cut and paste a lot of repeated elements instead of drawing new ones for every tree. Sometimes it does end up looking a little weird. I have adjusted the areas you mentioned. I also went back and cleaned up more of the forest to give it a smoother look.

In addition, I added a fence and some tree stumps near the huts. Please let me know if you guys think they work.

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
08-30-2010, 10:11 AM
they look good - but I wouldn't have know it was tree stumps if you hadn't told me :)

RjBeals
09-14-2010, 06:58 PM
this is a great entry also.

Avengeil
09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Really nice entry and your border is simply magnificent.

Map Vandal
09-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Really nice entry and your border is simply magnificent.

Thank you. it is really just parts of the shield -- cut and pasted then rotated to form a border. I was definitely pleased with how it turned out.