PDA

View Full Version : RPGtonight Saturday Night Rumble starts Nov. 17th

The Hound
11-12-2007, 08:18 PM
The RPGtonight weekly Saturday Night Rumble officially kicks off on November 17th. This will be a weekly rpgtonight.com site game night where we encourage GMs and players to sign on, get together via a special chat window, create a gameroom, and play their favorite tabletop style roleplaying games. The Rumble will run during the evening hours of whatever time zone you are in, from Australia/East Asia to N. America and Hawaii, but most players will be from N. America. GMs are especially welcome.

RPGtonight is a virtual tabletop (VT) site. The VT is free and works in your browser - there is nothing to download. Features include text and voice chat, die roller, customizable character sheets, map display, moveable miniatures (tokens), fog of war, sound effects and more. You can check it out - and try it out - by going to http://www.rpgtonight.com at any time.

RPMiller
11-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Looks neat, but it appears to be only d20 so I'll have to pass. Interesting idea though. Thanks for the link.

The Hound
11-15-2007, 08:33 AM
The virtual tabletop is non-system specific. There are no D20 sepcific functions at all. You can use it for pretty much any RPG.

Hyptosis
11-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Looks kind of complicating, why not just use skype and openrpg? I'm just asking, thanks. =] I'd love to rp online, but players always flake out and don't show on time.

pyrandon
11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Hyptosis, I'm going on two years now for my weekly OpenRPG game, and I swear by it--but you are right that "flake out" is a common problem. It took us some time before we "settled" on a good group--and we've had to "encourage" some players to leave to get where we are now. :)

Naryt
11-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Hyptosis, I'm going on two years now for my weekly OpenRPG game, and I swear by it--but you are right that "flake out" is a common problem. It took us some time before we "settled" on a good group--and we've had to "encourage" some players to leave to get where we are now. :)

Hehe...encouraged...heehee. Well, I guess it's true, two just didn't match our playing style...Don handled those. The other was...interesting, please note that it's never a good idea to kill an established PC (yes, PC not NPC) your first night in game.

Hyptosis
11-16-2007, 11:03 PM
haha, seriously, I'd say in the last 6 years, I've only played one full game online, it was on openrpg, and lasted a little over a year before it fell apart, saddly near the end of the story arch, but what can you do? =P

RPMiller
11-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I play two games, one on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday and the other every Thursday. We play using MapTool for both and the Tuesday game uses Ventrilo for voice. Both games have been incredibly successful. So online gaming is definitely possible. It is just a matter of getting the right tools and players which it sounds like I've be unusually successful with.

Hyptosis
12-02-2007, 06:43 PM
Wow, map tool looks pretty wicke,d is that anything like openrpg? It looks a ot like it, only maybe more advanced map... tools.. oddly enough. =P I've never played over a voice chat, I'd set up a voice chat with video support for me and my friends back in the day, but they still weren't reliable enough to show up half the time. =P Very frustrating after spending 20 plus hours building a campaign and making maps. =]

RPMiller
12-04-2007, 02:47 PM
I'll put it this way, MapTool can pretty much do everything that OpenRPG can do, and is growing on a weekly basis with incredible support and user driven features.

The group I joined a while back was using ORPG, but finally switched to MapTool and we haven't looked back since.

For VoIP, I highly recommend Ventrilo, and highly discourage the use of Skype. I've posted elsewhere the reasons for not using Skype so I won't post them here. Whether using voice or chat the games seem to go just as fast and we get as much done in both - barring technical difficulties that might crop up.

Naryt
12-05-2007, 02:14 PM
I'll put it this way, MapTool can pretty much do everything that OpenRPG can do, and is growing on a weekly basis with incredible support and user driven features.

The two things that prevent me from moving to MapTool:

Only 100 chat macros, just one of my character nodes has over 130 entries that would be considered chat macros by MapTool.

Aliases. OpenrRPG allows me to setup chat aliases (not command aliases which they both have) so I can quickly change between characters each with uniquely colored text (or not if I choose). I can change to any alias I've previously made with a single mouse click. The only way I've found to accomplish something like this in MapTool is to use the /im command and set the text color manually.

RPMiller
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
MapTool uses both Token and Button Macros now. Combined you'll easily have your 130.

MapTool has an Impersonate command that lets you impersonate any token you want. This changes the image in front of the text to that of the token.

Like I said, changes happen every week and there is a whole list of future changes up. Best of all we the users now have direct control of what changes happen next via the "wall of features".

So, now that those are out of the way, can we expect you to adopt MapTool soon. ;)

Naryt
12-05-2007, 03:29 PM
MapTool uses both Token and Button Macros now. Combined you'll easily have your 130.

MapTool has an Impersonate command that lets you impersonate any token you want. This changes the image in front of the text to that of the token.

Yes, that would be /im correct?

Like I said, changes happen every week and there is a whole list of future changes up. Best of all we the users now have direct control of what changes happen next via the "wall of features".

To be honest, having to learn new features every week would be a big detractor for me unless I am actually beta testing.

So, now that those are out of the way, can we expect you to adopt MapTool soon. ;)

Hehe, the two of us will constantly be at odds over this. :D

RPMiller
12-05-2007, 03:52 PM
It is the /im command, but note that it puts the image in front of the line now.

Well, it isn't actually every week, however, yes it is the development version so it would be beta, and the "having to learn" part is very minute.

What I'm trying to say, is why not come put your two cents in and make it a better solution for you and for us. We have a couple new members that are ORPG users and giving lots of input.

Of course, we don't have to be at odds you know. ;) Come, step away from the dark side. Join the light. :lol:

pyrandon
12-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Of course, we don't have to be at odds you know. ;) Come, step away from the dark side. Join the light. :lol:

Okay, we've invested in ORPG foer the past two years and have no complaints, so I really see no reason to change--unless there are some amazing features I do not yet know that MT has that I don't yet know?

Maybe it's YOU, Darth Rob, who is on the wrong side of that line... ;)

RPMiller
12-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Well, what version of MapTool have you looked at recently? Version 1.3 b21 is currently in the works.

A better question would be, what would MT have to have to pull you away from ORPG? ;)

Naryt
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
It is the /im command, but note that it puts the image in front of the line now.

Well, it isn't actually every week, however, yes it is the development version so it would be beta, and the "having to learn" part is very minute.

What I'm trying to say, is why not come put your two cents in and make it a better solution for you and for us. We have a couple new members that are ORPG users and giving lots of input.

LOL.... "I'll never join you!" Of course, I won't be plunging to an uncertain fate down the nearest air shaft. I was going to mention the recent converts from MapTool to OpenRPG (4 fellow GURPSers) in my previous post but refrained.

What it really comes down to is you're asking me to fix something that isn't broken and throw away the work I've personally put into the OpenRPG code base. Speaking of that, I've yet to see a way in MapTool to evaluate GURPS Success Rolls properly (even with using Tables).

Success depends on the skill level, e.g. Lockpicking (15), and the roll must be equal to or less than the skill level on 3d6. To complicate matters 3 or 4 is always a Critical Success, 5 is a CS with skill 14+ and 6 is a CS with skill 15+. Yet another twist is that 18 is always a Critical Failure, 17 is always a failure but is also a CF with skill 15 and lower, and any roll that fails by 10 or more is a CF. MapTool's tables are fine for look-up tables but they can't handle the logic required to compare a roll against variable skill levels UNLESS I make a table for every skill that each character has. Currently, that would mean making 75 full tables for my character alone. I guess I could make

I accomplish the same thing in OpenRPG with one dieroller, which correctly evaluates skill rolls for any skill level and includes seven lookup tables, and one character sheet that I can edit in any text editor. The dieroller also reports what the margin of success or failure is as well, which is used in a whole other type of contest in GURPS.

For maps, MapTools wins hands down. For power and flexibility on the chat and dice rolling side, OpenRPG is unmatched. We use maybe five maps a year, we use dice rolls every game session.....

RPMiller
12-06-2007, 03:42 PM
I am a long time GURPS player myself. I ran a campaign that lasted about 3 years before I got burned out so I know the roll mechanics as you've outlined. There was a recent thread posted that had pretty much everything you needed to run GURPS in MapTool, and recent new dice mechanics that allow for a lot more flexibility in that area as well.

Regardless, I understand what you are saying as well as the time investment in the game and software, and honestly I don't care what you use. I was more interested in why you wouldn't use MT than in trying to convert you to it, and also point out that it is still growing and improving on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback.

Naryt
12-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I am a long time GURPS player myself. I ran a campaign that lasted about 3 years before I got burned out so I know the roll mechanics as you've outlined. There was a recent thread posted that had pretty much everything you needed to run GURPS in MapTool, and recent new dice mechanics that allow for a lot more flexibility in that area as well.

Regardless, I understand what you are saying as well as the time investment in the game and software, and honestly I don't care what you use. I was more interested in why you wouldn't use MT than in trying to convert you to it, and also point out that it is still growing and improving on a regular basis.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have to hunt down the thread about rolling for GURPS because I can't make a truly informed decision without understanding the "dark side" ;):D now can I? If you happen to have a link handy, PM it to me if you would?

EDIT

Please note that any "menace" that may be present in any of my OpenRPG posts is merely theatrical. I may pound my fist on the virtual table top and shout that OpenRPG is the best VTT for the money <snicker> but I'll still buy you a drink when we leave the room!

RPMiller
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?t=2639

trevor
12-06-2007, 05:42 PM
unless there are some amazing features I do not yet know that MT has that I don't yet know?

Did you know maptool does dynamic line of sight calculations that directly interact with the fog ? That there's a "visited but but visible" soft fog like you find in RTS games ? The most recent development work is making vision and light interact with each other so you can say "My player is an elf" and get twice the visible area based on the current light sources in the area ? Each player also has their own view of the map.

:)

If you knew those already, my bad :)

trevor
12-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Speaking of that, I've yet to see a way in MapTool to evaluate GURPS Success Rolls properly (even with using Tables).

Thanks for the great write up naryt ! I'm always looking for ways to make MT better.

On a side note, this kind of functionality works fantastic in orpg because of the ability to put in your own full scripting. I've resisted putting full blown scripting in for a couple reasons, which are probably pretty boring to anyone but me. But we'll get there :) I love these kinds of posts though because they are very inspiring to me to get to work !

trevor
12-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Another thing I think orpg (and rpgtonight) does well is connecting people. There are established servers that you can connect to and communicate with others. Recently I put a server list into the Connect to Server dialog in MT so that you can see who else is playing. Soon I'll introduce a formal Observer/Lurker role so people can connect and see what's going on.

RPMiller
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
And do the creators of ORPG put in that kind of effort and customer service? ;)

Thanks trevor!!

Naryt
12-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the great write up naryt ! I'm always looking for ways to make MT better.

On a side note, this kind of functionality works fantastic in orpg because of the ability to put in your own full scripting. I've resisted putting full blown scripting in for a couple reasons, which are probably pretty boring to anyone but me. But we'll get there :) I love these kinds of posts though because they are very inspiring to me to get to work !

Most welcome, always happy to help improve a product...even one on the dark side. :D

Naryt
12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
And do the creators of ORPG put in that kind of effort and customer service? ;)

Thanks trevor!!

Hehe, the creators? No, they're more like the "Ancients" of the Traveller games. The current developers though, yes they're quite active and responsive.

<parry><thrust><dodge>

RPMiller
12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Hehe, the creators? No, they're more like the "Ancients" of the Traveller games. The current developers though, yes they're quite active and responsive.

<parry><thrust><dodge>
And they'll be coming here when? ;) :twisted:

Naryt
12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
And they'll be coming here when? ;) :twisted:

Hopefully, not for a very long time. I'd rather they were working on the application. ;)

<clack><clang><swoosh><chortle>

RPMiller
12-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Ho ho! Touche! Well met! :P

If they are working on it when was the last update? ;)

Naryt
12-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Ho ho! Touche! Well met! :P

If they are working on it when was the last update? ;)

07 Dec 2007

<clang><clackity clack clack> 8)

Hehe....:D

RPMiller
12-10-2007, 02:43 PM
LOL...

And was it new features that you now have to learn, or was it just fixing problems? >:)

*dodge* *parry* *thrust*

EDIT: On a side note, there is now talk of finalizing the current beta build of 1.3 into a release version and so discussions about features and what not are going on. If you wanted to throw any comments into the mix I'm sure they would be appreciated, or perhaps jump in when the 1.4 build gets started.

Naryt
12-11-2007, 10:13 AM
LOL...

And was it new features that you now have to learn, or was it just fixing problems? >:)

*dodge* *parry* *thrust*

EDIT: On a side note, there is now talk of finalizing the current beta build of 1.3 into a release version and so discussions about features and what not are going on. If you wanted to throw any comments into the mix I'm sure they would be appreciated, or perhaps jump in when the 1.4 build gets started.

I should have mentioned that the "don't want a slew of new features smacking me in the face each week" is more due to the cadre of friends with whom I play. To call some of them technophobes would be far too strong but saying that updates make some of them rather nervous would be highly accurate. The reason any of that matters to me is that I'm the techoguru for most of the group and when new things come up, I always feel that I need to be the one to explain/help/fix/unfix problems (not from peer demands but just because I'm wired that way). IOW, fewer changes = less down time and more game time. As changes are rolled out about once a month (much faster when school is out or when the change is a critical bug fix), it keeps interruptions to game flow to a minimum.

OpenRPG 1.7x is in a feature freeze right now with most updates being minor improvements to existing features. 1.8 is still in alpha and so while it boasts a number of new features, it's not available for general use yet.

So, the last update was a feature improvement and some small fixes for previous feature improvements.

Oh, I completely forgot to mention: For me, personally, one of the strong points of OpenRPG is that every user has full access to the source code. When I come across a bug, I can track down where the problem is and suggest a fix or even submit the fix myself.

<twiddle><twitch>

As to suggesting updates, make it more like OpenRPG?

<parry><riposte>

Seriously, if I could write a dice roller that would handle GURPS rolls as elegantly as my OpenRPG roller along with having an easy way to update all my character rolls (I currently export the node as XML, do my editing in a text editor and then reload the node...makes for very fast editing for a large number of skill rolls) then I would take a serious look at selling MapTool to my cohorts.

RPMiller
12-11-2007, 11:35 AM
MapTools code is also open. Just have to ask trevor for the link. :)

Yea, once trevor gets the scripting added, I think a lot of the OpenRPG strengths will be leveraged in MT.

Can you share your GURPS roller with me? I would be interested to see what all it does. We were using an ORPG Hero system roller that did a fair amount as well. I would like to see what all you have the GURPS roller doing. Perhaps I can offer some solutions or ask the other GURPS MT users how they are doing things.

Naryt
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
MapTools code is also open. Just have to ask trevor for the link. :)

Yea, once trevor gets the scripting added, I think a lot of the OpenRPG strengths will be leveraged in MT.

Can you share your GURPS roller with me? I would be interested to see what all it does. We were using an ORPG Hero system roller that did a fair amount as well. I would like to see what all you have the GURPS roller doing. Perhaps I can offer some solutions or ask the other GURPS MT users how they are doing things.

Email sent.

RPMiller
12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Received and replied.