PDA

View Full Version : August/September Entry: The Sky Islands

Jaxilon
08-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Figured I better get this in here before someone else has the same idea :)

Here is the start, I think you get what I'm going for.

### Latest WIP ###

Marken4
08-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Kindoff the same idea as mine, you just did it better :P

Jaxilon
08-21-2010, 11:30 AM
I didn't really want to look too closely at the entries that were up already so as not to be influenced by them. Thus, I quickly zipped through just to see if anyone had the same idea. I didn't realize from a quick glance at your first post that's what you were doing. Probably mainly do to my looking to see if anyone had elongated the bottoms. I just figured you were doing something I hadn't figured out yet. Now that I see your updated version I can totally see what you mean though. I don't know that this is better either. I still have to do a ton of stuff to do, mountains, cities, rivers, yadda yadda. Not sure how well I can pull it off, I'm still learning how to do that in the 3/4 view. Now that I've seen yours though I'll try not to be influenced by your killer mountains :)

Marken4
08-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Haha ^^ It's alright, let the best man win, ay? :P

tilt
08-26-2010, 05:51 AM
good to see you in the competition jax - looking forward to seing more :)

Jaxilon
09-14-2010, 04:37 AM
I was really going to just pull out of this one because I was trying to put something together for the Big Apple. It seems however, I've been waffling around on a few ideas and getting nowhere. I in fact, went and did another map completely. So, here I am with no time left but tomorrow (or today really) after work to finish this.

So I was looking at this and I thought, heck yes, why didn't I see this sooner. So here we are slightly modified - The Sky Islands Golf Course! :)

I have to put the rest of the course together, hopefully I have enough time and nothing comes up that's more important.

### Latest WIP ###

Crayons
09-14-2010, 05:02 AM
Now that is a Jax entry! GO for it!

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Quick update. Still got a couple things I want to get in there but it seems to be coming along, hehe.

### Latest WIP ###

jtougas
09-15-2010, 12:30 AM
Now thats just cool right there....

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 02:31 AM
Ok, got a bit of the fun stuff added in, LOL. I was cracking up as I was drawing this stuff.

edit: forgot the numbers

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
09-15-2010, 04:33 AM
Nice. I love the "cart". So many entries this challenge...gonna be hard to choose.
M

Steel General
09-15-2010, 06:09 AM
Great idea!

tilt
09-15-2010, 01:10 PM
*lol*... now thats funny :)

jfrazierjr
09-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Oh come now... you have to have one hole that crosses a chasm!!! Good idea BTW, it's like the ultimate water hazard(I would not want to live below these though!!!!). I love the out of the box thinking here.

Two things really bother me though.

Lot's of white outlines on the "bottoms" of the islands
your smudge marks show up on the "lower" parts of each island. This is caused by using to big a brush with to much fuzziness(I get this all the time and have to do a bunch of blurring)

Your courses could do with just a 'tiny' amount of texture. Did you use a texture for the "bottom" of the islands or just some hand painted colors?

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I just noticed the white outlines (they really bug me) and was looking into that when I came here and saw you post. I'm not sure why they are there, they only appear in the .jpg. My .xcf looks perfect along those edges. (Bummer, I'm not sure what will fix it).

I didn't actually smudge up the bottoms they were more of an affect. I may see what I can do to give them some better definition if I have time.

Hole 9 tees off and crosses the Chasm. I was thinking about putting guide lines for each hole but was worried it just served to clutter the map up. I'll try putting them on and see what gives.

Thanks so much for your post, this is what keeps me on my toes :)

jfrazierjr
09-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Hole 9 tees off and crosses the Chasm. I was thinking about putting guide lines for each hole but was worried it just served to clutter the map up. I'll try putting them on and see what gives.

Perhaps put in matching (ie labeled) "tee boxes" for each hole?

tilt
09-15-2010, 02:24 PM
or a top view map in the corner - with the courses?

Jaxilon
09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Addressed some of the points brought out, hopefully :)

Fixed the white lines issue - there was some transparent area somehow that was dorking things up.

ps. I know this has been hashed over many times but I though there was a 4mb limit on images, this is like 4.5mb in size. As long as it loads up are we good to go then? I guess 5 pops the gasket?

### Latest WIP ###

tilt
09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I believe its 4,6 or something like that :)