PDA

View Full Version : August/September entry: Battle of Sugar High

tilt
08-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Since I'm leaving on a mini holiday in a couple of hours I don't have time to put anything together yet - I just thought I'd show that I'm entering this month :) with what will probably the tiniest map in the time of the guild ;)

cya when I'm back :)

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Welcome back, Tilt! Can't wait to see what you turn out.

tilt
08-26-2010, 09:24 AM
Damn, you take a little vacation and suddenly there are 12 entries ... cool :)

Now the first draft of my tiny map :)

### Latest WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-26-2010, 10:02 AM
It looks like tide pools on a volcanic rock at the beach man. Put some Sea creatures in there, a bit of tiny sea weed...

I'm thinking you are going for a map for ants though based on the title? I'm intrigued.

krolac
08-26-2010, 11:12 AM
Cool idea! Hope to see a real battlefield with ants, earwigs, worms, centipedes and whatnot :) I really like the "dirt" texture.

tilt
08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
The back story:
One day little Mary was sent to the grocery store to do some shopping - on her way home on her bike, she dropped a bag of sugar. This great treasure brought out all the clans of the garden, the ants of Apple Hill, the worms of deep, the beetles of Yellow subtropica to clash in the biggest battle seen in ages... The Battle of Sugar High. :)

### Latest WIP ###

ravells
08-26-2010, 01:59 PM
I have ALWAYS wanted to do an insect battle map! You've beaten me to it!!!

Really looking forward to this!

Katto
08-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Cool idea tilt and a good start. Can't wait to see how this will progress.

mearrin69
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Awesome. Have you read Empire of the Ants? (http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Ants-Bernard-Werber/dp/0553573527)I believe it was originally in French, though I read the English version. I loved reading about life from the ants' perspective...and reading about their battles. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
M

tilt
08-26-2010, 04:03 PM
nope - never read that one - sounds very interesting - but I've watched the pixar movie some years ago :)

tilt
08-26-2010, 04:41 PM
experimented with some grass and working a little on the sugar bag

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
08-26-2010, 06:31 PM
This is a damn cool idea! :D

Only crit I have right now is, you've got that tire-tread mark going directly across one of the puddles, but no water has flown in there.

Steel General
08-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Neat idea!

tilt
08-27-2010, 12:59 AM
This is a damn cool idea! :D

Only crit I have right now is, you've got that tire-tread mark going directly across one of the puddles, but no water has flown in there.

Yep, been thinking of that several times myself.. but haven't really gotten around to it - especially since I have to preserve the shape from the original map - so I can't do too much :)

mearrin69
08-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Maybe move the whole tread mark to the left a bit, so it's out from under the two puddles? If you did that maybe you could play around with how the grass tuft got mashed about by the tire (I assume it's a bicycle?)

BUT, if you just spread the water out from them into the two tread marks and made it a bit muddy you would still be able to see the original shapes pretty well...seems that'd be acceptable under the challenge?
M

edit: Hard to tell scale yet but, if you're going to be showing ants, maybe you should make that tread mark a little wider? The only thing I have to go on is the sugar cubes, which look a little small compared to the tread.

tilt
08-27-2010, 03:50 AM
Hard to tell scale yet but, if you're going to be showing ants, maybe you should make that tread mark a little wider? The only thing I have to go on is the sugar cubes, which look a little small compared to the tread.

you're right - I've been "ignoring" scale so far ... just placing stuff - I should get on with getting stuff in the right sizes :)

ravells
08-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Looking great, but the grass doesn't really work for me, but I don't know why :( . Maybe it's not broken up enough at the edges? I'll need to go out and look at my lawn!

tilt
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm not happy with it either, but I'm guessing since I began with a dirt only surface it seems strange with all that green, perhaps there should be more of it so it isn't just two clumps... and the edges does need more trimming.

tilt
08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
made the water muddy, tried to touch up the edges of the grass and added some moss and a little water in the bicycle tracks

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
08-28-2010, 01:10 PM
You might want your blades of grass to poke out from the edges more as the clumps look kind of fake and smooth. I know that this would take a really long time to do, though, so I don't blame you if you don't get the time to do it...or the patience. :)

tilt
08-28-2010, 01:37 PM
yeah... time an patience... two rescources I have in abundance.. .not ;)

tilt
08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
So, added a border, a compass - not sure if the idea works, added a grid and added blades of grass to the west side of the battle zone ... does it look right?

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
08-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, those look great.

Katto
08-28-2010, 03:02 PM
Looks very good tilt! I don't know if ants need compasses, perhaps you could use something different, like "anthill? march in this direction" :)
I also would shorten the black frame, it makes the map seem smaller and presses it.
Does anyone know AntMe! ?

tilt
08-28-2010, 03:56 PM
@ascension - thanks... always difficult mixing drawn stuff with photostuff :)

@katto - yeah... wasn't sure I'd wanted a compass at all - but it is a map after all ;) ... gotta think some more... and AntMe?

Katto
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh, I thought it is an international thing. In AntMe you learn the basics to program AI. You write code for your ants how they behave in different situations.

tilt
08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
ah.. nope - never heard of that :) ... but then again, been a looong time since I went to school (and curious enough a german school at that ;) )

tilt
08-30-2010, 10:38 AM
next update - added some ants to the border, moved a leaf, added a twig and some rocks - added single grass leafs to the top grass also.

### Latest WIP ###

Ramah
08-30-2010, 11:05 AM
This is going to sound over-picky so I apologise up front.

The shadows you have given all the items you have placed on the map don't match up with the built-in shadow of the soil texture. Your shadows seem to come from about 12 o clock whereas the soil shadows looks to be about 4 o clock.

I don't know if that is the reason the bevel on the puddles make them appear to bubble up or not but that is how they appear to me. Does it need the bevel? The puddle would be pretty shallow.

Also, with soil texture like that, wouldn't the puddle shapes be better off rougher, closer to the original challenge shapes to show it moulding around the soil?

Lastly, have you tried darkening the soil unevenly around the puddles to suggest water seepage?

I love the idea behind this map. Really original. I think it needs a bit more work on the puddles though.

tilt
08-30-2010, 11:55 AM
no need to apologise ramah - I need the critique.. and its good critique too.. completely forgot to match the shadows on the soil, good catch and you're right, the puddles would be shallow, I smoothed the water edges to reflect that water often "smoothes" things, the dirt sliding a little in the puddle as it gathers, but perhaps a little rougher edge would be ok. And no, haven't tried darkening the soil around the water, but thats a good idea :)
so thanks for good critisism :)

tilt
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
so I've moved the shadows on the soil, roughend up the edges, unbeveled the puddle and made it slightly less deep and also added some dark water stains to the edges of the puddle

### Latest WIP ###

mearrin69
08-30-2010, 01:04 PM
Those sugar cubes look awesome, BTW. How'd you make them?
M

tilt
08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
they are real sugarcubes, so thats why :)

Steel General
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
The little '+' signs are a bit distracting, but overall this is a really neat idea.

Jaxilon
08-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Would be a good map to introduce kids to miniature play on. What with all the bugs they can direct.
I agree on those Sugar Cubes. I thought they were great when I saw them as well.

I'm looking at this and all the vivid colors and I'm thinking your mud puddles are not quite working. I think I liked the blue water from before, or, if you can emulate clear water that would be great as well. It also kind of looks like the water drops off an edge and into the tire track, like the puddles are flying? I know you have to keep the original shape but maybe you can have a blade of grass along one edge and a pebble on the other or something. I agree with SG on the grid +'s - you might consider dropping the grid till after the contest and putting it on the finished version instead. Unless you find a nice way to integrate it so it doesn't overwhelm the map

I wonder if putting a little C&H on that bag would be copyright violation :)

tilt
08-31-2010, 02:16 AM
@SG and Jax: hmmm.. I'll try to intergrate the squares more - or perhaps drop them but this is supposed to be a battlemap...
I thought the blue was to much and went for mud - but clear might work, I'll have to see if I can manage that. I do plan to throw a pebble in here and there. I haven't attacked any logos on the back yet as I was pondering what to do - but I'll probably go with a danish sugar brand as I have such a back to look on in the kitchen :)
thanks for your input :)

tilt
09-13-2010, 05:36 AM
So, I'm back from a trade show I've been to this weekend, unfortunatly got some inflamation under a tooth so I've been down and out all sunday even with pain killers. But now the anti-biotics are beginning to work and I've reduced it to a dull pain instead, so I though - what better way to distract my mind than by mapping a little *lol*

I've changed the puddles again, added a mushroom, moved a stick and removed some stones and I've reduced the opacity of the little crosses that mark the hexes. Also added the word SUGAR to the sugar pack :)

### Latest WIP ###

Aval Penworth
09-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. This little map makes me smile though.

tilt
09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
added two staging areas, one for beetles and one for ants - to show where the counters will start - does it work?

### Latest WIP ###

Avengeil
09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I have to say that your entry is one of my favorites.
Now about your question I generally prefer battlemaps not to have starting areas but that is is just my preference so don't listen to it.
But I have to say that the text in the beetle's staging area is hard to read so if you could fix that everything would be perfect.

tilt
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
thanks Avengeil,

here is the last version - just before time is out :) ... and now with clearer defined text .. and some more stuff added to the sugar pack, and the tracks go into the water - and a headline... yep - thats it :)

### Latest WIP ###

Avengeil
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Very very minor problem solved.

"It's a bug eat bug world" I'll be laughing at that for a long time.

jtougas
09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
What a great take on this Just cool all the way round...