PDA

View Full Version : August/September Entry: Genericland

krolac
08-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Somewhere in the vast land that is the tutorials part of these forums, I decided to use the provided map as the base for my next learning project, which is combining some techniques presented in different tutorials. Again, a HUGE thanks to all who are making them!!

I went for a simple regional "map of some generic land" approach, trying to learn how to do some basic rivers, forests, mountains and whatnot.

Anyway, here is my entry, properly named "Genericland".

### LATEST WIP ###

Ascension
08-22-2010, 10:16 AM
This is a good start, love the colors.

RecklessEnthusiasm
08-22-2010, 01:16 PM
I agree with Ascension! The colors are vivid and alluring. I am going to guess that you're going to need a little more than nice looking continents to win the challenge though, so I can't wait to see what you fill the continents up with.

Gallifreyan
08-22-2010, 04:08 PM
The colors are wonderful and the rivers are great too!

krolac
08-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Next step was to fill the empty lands with mountains, forests etc. I had some difficulties with some of the tutorial methods that involve difference clouding a layer and use that as the base mountains and valleys, I could not get them in the right place, and it always looked ugly when I tried to move them. Also I found that they distorted the colors of the underlying layers, and I could not find a workaround for this.

After many unsuccessful tries I decided to paint the terrain manually.This way I could preserve the original colors and I could get the mountains where I wanted them to be. Took a while longer than the "semi-automatic" methods though.

With the mountains in place, I had to rethink the coloring of the map. I hope I didn't screw this up, since I got some positive remarks about the original coloring. I kinda like it though so it cant be all bad.

Anyway, here is Genericland in its current state:

### LATEST WIP ###

Jaxilon
08-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah this looks really pretty. How did yours get to zoom in, the image we got originally barely zoomed at all? What's the deal?

krolac
08-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Not sure I follow you, but if you mean the original black/white contest map, i just did an image size change in PS to increase the size to 2400 x 2400 pixels, keeping the resampling to "nearest neighbor" to make sure there would not be any grey areas between the black and the white. Then I had to fix the edges so they did not look so "blocky".

Hope I didn't break the rules, they just said to use the "shape", which I did :)

Jaxilon
08-22-2010, 05:34 PM
I don't know about the rules but I wondered about the same thing. It seems small the way it is. I like the bigger zoom you have going on. That said, I assumed it had to remain the same size but now I'm thinking it doesn't have to. I dunno.

Ascension
08-22-2010, 06:25 PM
You can make it any size you want. Krolac did the the very first thing that I would have done - make it bigger - then tweak it a little bit and go at it.

Gallifreyan
08-22-2010, 06:53 PM
The first thing I did was to resize the image, then I applied threshold to remove any blurring. After that I put all the other features. BTW, the mountains and ocean look great!

Jaxilon
08-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Well fiddlesticks :) I'll just have to see what I can do, I was chaffing a bit at the small size so I think I'll see how well Gimp will treat me in this endeavor myself. will make things a bit easier with my crappy eyesight :)

Marken4
08-23-2010, 05:39 AM
The shape got a little messed up in my entry ^^' I needed to do a lot of things to it (I wanted it to get some flat perspective thing), so I decided to make a path of the continents and then reshape the path, that way it was still a vector(thing) after warping it a bit..

Krolac: Nice piece! I got to agree with everyone else and say nice colors :) I also like how you blended them together... The mountains looks alright, but I think they look a bit blurry when you zoom in tho :\ Good luck anyway ;)

krolac
08-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Next update...

I have learned many things while creating this map. For instance, coloring and making terrain is difficult :) but labelling is much worse! Just finding fonts that look decent on the map is difficult. Finding symbols for cities is difficult. Naming stuff is difficult. I could go on...

Anyway, just for the heck of it I went a little overboard and tried to name more things than I initially intended. I tried to keep the labels for cities, terrain features, rivers and so on different, to avoid confucion over if that particular label is for the river or for the city by the river.

I'm not very fond of the "white dots" that represent cities, maybe I'll see if I can find something better.

### LATEST WIP ###

industrygothica
08-23-2010, 08:42 PM
I hate the name of your map, but I certainly love looking at it. You've done a fantastic job!

Diamond
08-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Looking really good; I like this map a lot.

To spruce up your 'white dots' a bit, you could try a slight pattern overlay to give them some texture.

industrygothica
08-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Might try making them a bit smaller. Try lessening the bevel, and maybe give them a faint outer glow.

Festschrift
08-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Looks amazing. I agree that the icons for the cities seem a bit "chunky;" a lesser bevel would not go amiss. However, the whole thing is just stunning (it's a small thing, but I love the compass rose...it just jumped out at me and said "I'm awesome").

krolac
08-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, this is likely as far as I can take this map right now... I reduced the size of the white blobs (gotta work on the symbols until next map) and framed it with a basic B&E frame just to make it look more "finished". Any tips on creating more interesting frames / borders would be very appreciated.

I sure have learned lots of stuff while making this map, and I also had fun in the process. Contest entry or not, that's what matters to me!

Thanks for all tips and feedback guys!

### LATEST WIP ###

tilt
08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
that looks really good - love the colors and nice mountains - good luck in the competition :)

Ramah
08-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Lovely map. :)

Good luck in the challenge.

mearrin69
08-31-2010, 02:51 AM
Yep. Looks great. I love the mountains!
M